The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 26, 2014, 01:01 AM   #26
JohnKSa
Staff
 
Join Date: February 12, 2001
Location: DFW Area
Posts: 18,412
Quote:
What system does the 9mm autoloader use for barrel lock/unlock?
It was a Korth proprietary system. Not really like anything else I'm aware of. I guess you could make the case that it bears some rough similarities to the locking block arrangement used in the Walther P38 and the Beretta 92.

Here's the U.S. patent page which has some figures showing the internal parts relationship.

http://www.google.com/patents/US4589326
__________________
Did you know that there is a TEXAS State Rifle Association?
JohnKSa is offline  
Old January 26, 2014, 03:46 AM   #27
Model12Win
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 20, 2012
Posts: 582
The "Combat" model is a bit of a misnomer I think.

Sure it probably would make a good fighting revolver, no doubt about that... but who in the world is REALLY going to be toting one of these around as a duty gun? It's essentially the equivalent of strapping the monetary worth of a new SUV to your hip when guns costing well under 10X less will be able to get the job done just fine.

I would be sincerely surprised if ANY Korth revolvers will ever be used in an actual gun battle.
Model12Win is offline  
Old January 26, 2014, 10:58 AM   #28
bac1023
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 2, 2008
Posts: 529
Quote:
What system does the 9mm autoloader use for barrel lock/unlock?
It uses a form of a falling block, but like the revolver, its not heavily based on anything else.

Korth has always marched to its own drummer. They are extremely well crafted.




bac1023 is offline  
Old January 26, 2014, 11:58 AM   #29
dgludwig
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 12, 2005
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 5,182
Quote:
I can't understand a single word,
You don't have to be fluent in a foreign language to keep hearing and understanding the same word said over and over again in that video: "EXPENSIVE!"

But, seriously, Korth makes some of the nicest looking and well-made handguns ever made. Too bad you have to be a king to own one-well, bac1023 does own more than one. Great photos of some really pretty pistols, your Highness.

As to the supposed "exclusivity" of the Ohio Gun Collectors Association (OGCA), I'm a "down to earth, regular person" who's been a long-time member of this gun collector aficionados organization that also has a long history of gun rights advocacy. The OGCA is no more or less exclusive than the National Rifle Association is-both organizations require a dues paying membership and not everybody is invited to the party.
__________________
ONLY AN ARMED PEOPLE CAN BE TRULY FREE ; ONLY AN UNARMED PEOPLE CAN EVER BE ENSLAVED
...Aristotle
NRA Benefactor Life Member
dgludwig is offline  
Old January 26, 2014, 02:04 PM   #30
Ruger480
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 23, 2013
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 547
There is one Korth 357 stainless for sale right now on gunbroker. The sale ends today (26 Jan). Starting bid is 7,500.00
Ready, go!
Ruger480 is online now  
Old January 26, 2014, 02:56 PM   #31
dgludwig
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 12, 2005
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 5,182
I'm plenty ready-I just can't go.
__________________
ONLY AN ARMED PEOPLE CAN BE TRULY FREE ; ONLY AN UNARMED PEOPLE CAN EVER BE ENSLAVED
...Aristotle
NRA Benefactor Life Member
dgludwig is offline  
Old January 26, 2014, 04:29 PM   #32
Dragline45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 30, 2010
Posts: 2,569
While I don't doubt they are well built quality guns, what will a Korth do that a S&W revolver with an action job wont? Seems to me that even a heavily modified S&W will cost you about $6000+ less.
Dragline45 is offline  
Old January 26, 2014, 07:29 PM   #33
Sevens
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 28, 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 8,929
The Ferrari and Lamborghini guys have heard the same argument about the Corvette or the top-drawer Mustang...
__________________
Attention Brass rats and other reloaders: I really need .327 Federal Magnum brass, no lot size too small. Tell me what caliber you need and I'll see what I have to swap. PM me and we'll discuss.
Sevens is offline  
Old January 26, 2014, 09:26 PM   #34
bac1023
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 2, 2008
Posts: 529
Quote:
While I don't doubt they are well built quality guns, what will a Korth do that a S&W revolver with an action job wont? Seems to me that even a heavily modified S&W will cost you about $6000+ less.
I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to post something like this. It happens in every Korth thread sooner or later.

Its the same reason why people buy ultra high end cars instead of just buying a dime a dozen Camaro and hopping it up. Its because they want the best and they have the means to obtain it.

By the way, I own dozens of S&W revolvers from every vintage over the last 100 years. I'm a HUGE S&W fan and I love all of them. However, they are not Korths in any way, shape, or form. An action job won't make it so.

Korth firearms are not for everybody and I think owners like that exclusivity...
bac1023 is offline  
Old January 26, 2014, 10:02 PM   #35
gyvel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 30, 2009
Location: Northern AZ
Posts: 5,229
Very interesting locking system. Thanks all for sharing the info and pics
gyvel is offline  
Old January 26, 2014, 10:31 PM   #36
HKFan9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 3, 2008
Posts: 2,732
Their revolvers don't interest me in the slightest, even if I had the money... then again I am not a revolver guy.

That semi on the other hand, looks nice, however I could settle for a Sig P210 or a few of them for the price.

I am certainly envious of the semi.
HKFan9 is offline  
Old January 26, 2014, 11:09 PM   #37
Dragline45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 30, 2010
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Its the same reason why people buy ultra high end cars instead of just buying a dime a dozen Camaro and hopping it up. Its because they want the best and they have the means to obtain it.
I can appreciate that, not everyone has the same needs, likes, or wants. Personally, I consider myself utilitarian, so even if I had the means, high end sports cars or guns wouldn't really interest me. It's kind of like how Conan O'brien regardless of being a multimillionaire continued to drive around his old Ford Taurus, despite being able to afford a garage full of Lamborghini's.

But like I said before, is the Korth really capable of doing anything a nice tuned S&W cant? Probably not. But hey, I think people who spend thousands on art are crazy too, and in many ways a Korth revolver can be looked at as art due to what goes into them, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM.
Dragline45 is offline  
Old January 27, 2014, 12:09 AM   #38
lifesizepotato
Member
 
Join Date: January 2, 2011
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023
I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to post something like this. It happens in every Korth thread sooner or later.

Its the same reason why people buy ultra high end cars instead of just buying a dime a dozen Camaro and hopping it up. Its because they want the best and they have the means to obtain it.

By the way, I own dozens of S&W revolvers from every vintage over the last 100 years. I'm a HUGE S&W fan and I love all of them. However, they are not Korths in any way, shape, or form. An action job won't make it so.

Korth firearms are not for everybody and I think owners like that exclusivity...
Well put. I might copy/paste that to a text file to be reposted next time someone asks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline45
I can appreciate that, not everyone has the same needs, likes, or wants. Personally, I consider myself utilitarian, so even if I had the means, high end sports cars or guns wouldn't really interest me. It's kind of like how Conan O'brien regardless of being a multimillionaire continued to drive around his old Ford Taurus, despite being able to afford a garage full of Lamborghini's.

But like I said before, is the Korth really capable of doing anything a nice tuned S&W cant? Probably not. But hey, I think people who spend thousands on art are crazy too, and in many ways a Korth revolver can be looked at as art due to what goes into them, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
As far as putting tightly grouped holes in paper at the range goes, yes, a nicely tuned Smith will do the job. But, like bac said, for me and many others there's a lot more to appreciate with a fine firearm and most Smiths just aren't up to that task.

Even if you're not a car guy, is there no other hobby of yours where, given unlimited funds (you won a $300 million Powerball), you'd see yourself paying a bit extra to have the "best of the best"?
lifesizepotato is offline  
Old January 27, 2014, 12:49 AM   #39
Dragline45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 30, 2010
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Even if you're not a car guy, is there no other hobby of yours where, given unlimited funds (you won a $300 million Powerball), you'd see yourself paying a bit extra to have the "best of the best"?
Honestly, no. While I would certainly buy nice things, I didn't grow up demanding the best of the best. Winning all that money wouldn't change that. While I do appreciate quality, and even now I will spend extra for it, there gets to a point where I cant justify spending extra on certain things if I am not gaining much and it gives me no more practical use.

Here is a perfect example, assuming I just hit the $300 million powerball.

I want to buy a nice muscle car.

Car A is a beautifully restored GTO with all original parts for $40,000.

Car B is also a beautifully restored GTO with all original parts. Except this one is a limited run, only X amount were made, only X amount are left in existence, and because of it it costs $150,000.

Given the restoration job on both is on par, and performance wise both are on par, and I think both look equally as good, I would take the $40,000 one. It does nothing for me personally to own the super rare limited edition one, so because of that I wouldn't pay the extra money for it, even if I had it. Like I said before, I consider myself a utilitarian.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 27, 2014 at 02:06 AM.
Dragline45 is offline  
Old January 27, 2014, 02:23 PM   #40
UncleEd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 13, 2013
Location: N. Georgia
Posts: 294
Now that the revolver has been taken care of,

check out the new Korth 1911.

If you do a search for Korth 1911 you'll find it.

Talked to a dealer just a few days ago and he's ordering one for a good customer. Only 10 coming into the US this year.

As to those who can't believe the Korth revolver was ever used as a defensive arm, my understanding is that some special German police units have them.

And while we're on European revolvers, check out the MR73 from France, a really superb sixshooter. A French movie is actually named after the revolver.

Last edited by UncleEd; January 27, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
UncleEd is offline  
Old January 27, 2014, 02:26 PM   #41
Sevens
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 28, 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 8,929
Really, Korth?!
You just HAD to put a tactical rail and a monolith frame on this?!
__________________
Attention Brass rats and other reloaders: I really need .327 Federal Magnum brass, no lot size too small. Tell me what caliber you need and I'll see what I have to swap. PM me and we'll discuss.
Sevens is offline  
Old January 27, 2014, 06:41 PM   #42
bac1023
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 2, 2008
Posts: 529
Quote:
Now that the revolver has been taken care of,

check out the new Korth 1911.
Yeah, I've seen the video of it a few times and have read some first impressions. Its not a 1911, but very similar in many ways. Until they build one without a rail, they won't be getting any of my money...
bac1023 is offline  
Old January 27, 2014, 06:46 PM   #43
bac1023
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 2, 2008
Posts: 529
Quote:
And while we're on European revolvers, check out the MR73 from France, a really superb sixshooter. A French movie is actually named after the revolver.

Yes, I would certainly agree. Its also one of the strongest 357 magnums ever built.

Its one of my favorite revolvers. I have the 6" Sport model.






bac1023 is offline  
Old January 27, 2014, 06:50 PM   #44
bac1023
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 2, 2008
Posts: 529
Quote:
Their revolvers don't interest me in the slightest, even if I had the money... then again I am not a revolver guy.

That semi on the other hand, looks nice, however I could settle for a Sig P210 or a few of them for the price.

I am certainly envious of the semi.
Well, I already own a bunch of Sig P210s...








The P210 design is superior to the Korth auto design from a pure shooting and accuracy standpoint. I just wanted the Korth for its extreme rarity and unmatched build quality.

bac1023 is offline  
Old January 27, 2014, 07:43 PM   #45
dgludwig
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 12, 2005
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 5,182
Quote:
Quote:
And while we're on European revolvers, check out the MR73 from France, a really superb sixshooter. A French movie is actually named after the revolver.


Yes, I would certainly agree. Its also one of the strongest 357 magnums ever built.
It appears that the lovely French revolver has a pinned barrel, ala Smith & Wesson. Are the cylinder chambers recessed?
__________________
ONLY AN ARMED PEOPLE CAN BE TRULY FREE ; ONLY AN UNARMED PEOPLE CAN EVER BE ENSLAVED
...Aristotle
NRA Benefactor Life Member
dgludwig is offline  
Old January 27, 2014, 09:47 PM   #46
lifesizepotato
Member
 
Join Date: January 2, 2011
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig
It appears that the lovely French revolver has a pinned barrel, ala Smith & Wesson. Are the cylinder chambers recessed?
The chambers are not recessed.

You guys made a classic mistake, though. Mention any gun, of any type, in a thread bac's posting in and he has to post several pictures of his. Sometimes I suspect he's no mere man, but a gun fanatic e-peen robot.

And for what it's worth, I find the MR73 to be almost as good if not better than the Korth in a lot of ways. The Korth feels a bit more exquisite and jewel-like somehow, but the MR73 is a brilliant performer and every bit as strong and well-made. I often shoot the Manurhin better.

Ask me tomorrow though and I might say the Korth's my favorite. They're really neck-and-neck, but Frenchie is half the price.

Oh, and while I'm here, I loathe the rail on the Korth pistol also. I was actually planning on trying to find one this year, despite the rail, but that SHOT video had the president mentioning a 9mm version. I might wait for that...
lifesizepotato is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.12193 seconds with 9 queries