The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 25, 2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Uncle Malice

New G2R 'RIP' 9mm projectile

Found this video today. I'm not generally one for gimmicks when it comes to JHPs, and I would certainly like to see a lot more 3rd party testing done on these, but it certainly seems like an interesting design philosophy. If the performance of these are reliable, they seem awfully devastating - and at only 90gr? I'm not sure what to think. Would love to see someone like tnoutdoors9 do some tests on this round.

Check it out on YouTube
Old January 25, 2014, 11:27 AM   #2
geetarman

Pretty impressive video. I hate to think what these things will cost.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 25, 2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Sarge

Sort of reminds me of broadhead technology. Interesting approach, although I'm sure ammunition with CNC machined bullets is going to be expensive.
Old January 25, 2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Bozz10mm

Looks pretty mean. I might feel guilty for using it. I think it's going to cost around $2.00 per round.
Old January 25, 2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Kev

I googled fu'd everywhere I could and couldn't find a retailer or any $$ info
Old January 25, 2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Elerius

I think the comments on the YouTube page have good points, especially with the negative media attention this could generate.

In any case, I wouldn't want to be the one trying to survive a hit with the shotgun version of this.
Old January 25, 2014, 12:17 PM   #7
TunnelRat

This isn't the first ammunition to go with the idea of a separating projectile. They always involve a bullet that is typically lighter than normal. And they almost always typically have petals or fragments that spread out almost instantly on impact and penetrate very little.

That said a few comments:
I don't own a Glock 18 or Beretta 93R, so while the opening montage is cool, it means nothing to me.

Last I looked the human body isn't a blue balloon filled with some kind of substance.

Patent pending geometry? Unique turbulence stabilization? Did he really just use turbulence as an adjective to stabilization? Let's just throw together words with opposite meanings.

The dramatic voiceover. If the product is great, you don't need theatrics. Results speak for themselves.

To me it seems like another snake oil salesman. Guaranteed to cure old age!
Old January 25, 2014, 12:49 PM   #8
Ruger480

They remind me of the German(?) shotgun slugs Hexolit32
The last youtube video with the large clay block was kind of cool.
Old January 25, 2014, 01:03 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

I heard that song before....

The highway of history is littered with other "powerful" & "devastating" handgun ammunition rounds. The jagged edged bullet tips remind me of the now defunct ExtremeShock USA loads, or the patented line from the late Jim Cirello(the retired NYPD detective & US Customs instructor). His "pin-grabber" rounds were powerful too.
Really, this ammunition line has merit. The ballistic gel shots were impressive. As is the lead-free design.
The main problem seems to be the sharp edge profile. I could see that jam or misfire in some semi-auto handgun designs. It doesn't take much for a semi auto pistol to stop working with frangibles or "exotic" handgun rounds.
I'd be interested in knowing the retail sale prices or available supply too.
I'm not really feeling the RIP label for a defense/duty round either .
Like the "Atomic Ammunition" & "DRT" names it seems a bit brash & hokey.
I don't think a "jury of your peers" will be impressed by something called RIP either.
Overall the new RIP rounds seem powerful, let's see if they stand up to the real demands of the US shooting sports & defense industries.
Old January 25, 2014, 06:06 PM   #10
dajowi

Scary looking. Maybe you don't need to actually shoot these. Just show the perp what they're going to be shot with.

I think some years ago I saw that something similar was being produced. But I never saw an actual bullet, just a write up in some gun mag.
Old January 25, 2014, 06:17 PM   #11
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeFrog
The highway of history is littered with other "powerful" & "devastating" handgun ammunition rounds.
I'm skeptical as well. People are always coming out with new and supposedly more effective handgun ammo, but super-light pre-fragmented rounds tend to perform unreliably in real-world applications. There's a reason why virtually every law enforcement agency in the country uses normal jacketed hollow-points; they work.

More importantly, there is no "magic bullet" when it comes to defensive handgun calibers; they're all bad compared to a shotgun or rifle so all that really matters is shot placement combined with sufficient penetration.
Old January 25, 2014, 06:24 PM   #12
monsterdawg725

Reminds me of the rhino ammo ( I think that's what it was called ) ammo a few years ago turned out it didn't do anything special .
Old January 25, 2014, 06:44 PM   #13
blchandl2

I hate to think what it will cost.

Last edited by blchandl2; January 26, 2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old January 25, 2014, 07:15 PM   #14
LockedBreech

Another in a long list of hyped-up "mega deadly" rounds.

Speer Gold Dots look plain. They aren't called "Spear of Titan Gold Hammers" either.

Know what they do? Attain the necessary penetration and expansion to be relatively reliable against human aggressors.
Beretta PX4 Type F Fullsize .40 S&W | Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para | Beretta 8040 Cougar Type G .40 S&W | Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP | Sig Sauer SP2022 Stainless 9x19 Para | Sig Sauer P6 9x19 Para | Colt Python 4" .357 Magnum | Colt 1968 Det. Spec. .38 Spc. | Ruger LCP .380 ACP | Daniel Defense M4V1 5.56x45 | Alpine M1 Carbine .30 | Steyr M1895 8x56 | Ruger 10/22 .22LR |1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R | Remington 870 12GA
Old January 25, 2014, 08:02 PM   #15
ricko

I'd probably hurt myself just loading the magazine.
Old January 25, 2014, 08:39 PM   #16
AK103K

Quote:
I googled fu'd everywhere I could and couldn't find a retailer or any $$ info
Your Google Fu needs work grasshopper.

http://www.armthepopulace.com/

$44 for 20 rounds.
Old January 25, 2014, 09:06 PM   #17
Constantine

I haven't yawned so much during something firearm related so much in my life.

This screams gimmicky. I'll pass.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old January 25, 2014, 09:38 PM   #18
HKFan9

I am going to try it, if it works as noted... as much as I hate other fragmented type rounds.... as a civilian you are shooting to stop a threat.. if this really does give 9 wound channels... even if it doesn't kill them, chances are they won't be fighting back.

Will it replace my carry round... who knows, but its worth messing around with to see for myself.
Old January 25, 2014, 10:06 PM   #19
Willie Lowman

The product video has multiple scenes of guys shooting machine-pistols. The voice over is done in "drama voice."

There have been other rounds designed to shed petals while the core continues to penetrate. So we have an old idea with a new add campaign?

I am calling BS on this product until I see third party testing done that proves it is somehow worth over $2 a round.
Old January 25, 2014, 10:59 PM   #20
LockedBreech

Quote:
its worth messing around with to see for myself
At $44 for 20 rounds, I'm not sure. I usually put at least 100 rounds of my carry ammo through my guns to be satisfied with its reliability. With, for example, my Federal HST 165-grain for my .40, at $28 at box of 50 that cost me $56, about $70 with shipping. With my Speer Gold Dot 124-grain for my 9mm, at $25 a box of 50 that cost me $50, about $64 with shipping.

Testing these rounds would cost me $220, not including shipping, $264 to keep one magazine filled after O_O. And without even knowing if it works in real shootings, whereas the Gold Dot, HST, Ranger-T, Golden Saber, and others have an excellent street reputation.
Beretta PX4 Type F Fullsize .40 S&W | Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para | Beretta 8040 Cougar Type G .40 S&W | Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP | Sig Sauer SP2022 Stainless 9x19 Para | Sig Sauer P6 9x19 Para | Colt Python 4" .357 Magnum | Colt 1968 Det. Spec. .38 Spc. | Ruger LCP .380 ACP | Daniel Defense M4V1 5.56x45 | Alpine M1 Carbine .30 | Steyr M1895 8x56 | Ruger 10/22 .22LR |1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R | Remington 870 12GA
Old January 26, 2014, 12:00 AM   #21
skizzums

yeah, i saw that too, 45-50$ per 20ct box, i would gladly hand over my wallet to the BG before emptying my mag on him
Old January 26, 2014, 12:55 AM   #22
ClydeFrog

Texts, post #15....

I agree 100% with post 15.
I could see your chunky little digits getting owies very fast with the sharp edges.
I'm highly doubtful a cleaned, oiled semi-auto like a SIG P series, Glock or M&P sidearm could spit thru an entire magazine of these "RIP" rounds w/o any problems.
My good friend(who owns a few handguns) texted me about this new firm.
We both think the company needs more T&Es.
Old January 26, 2014, 01:15 AM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

There are two things I do like about these rounds:

1. The center fragment appears to travel in a straight path. Some fragmenting rounds come apart in such a way that virtually insures that none of the main fragments continue straight forward. That means that you're nearly guaranteed that none of the fragments will penetrate directly into the target to hit what was aimed at.

2. The center fragment appears to penetrate quite deeply based on this gel-testing video on youtube. Many fragmenting rounds sacrifice penetration to an unacceptable extent.

Assuming that the gel test results weren't faked, this could be one gimmick round that isn't a total bust. Said another way, for the person who really, REALLY feels the need to load their self-defense gun with some kind of "magical" ammunition, this round would probably be a decent choice compared to the other "magic" ammunition I've seen on the market.
Old January 26, 2014, 01:53 AM   #24
leadcounsel

I'd challenge the claim for depth of penetration, and ability to reliably do the things claimed. It's a 96gr 9mm projectile. "Sawing" isn't what makes a bullet reliably punch through windshields and other barriers. Weight and speed is that does the trick; 96 grains is equivalent to a .380.... which is on the very low end of the self defense scale... and 96 grains is 50% lighter than the ideal 9mm defensive round.

When you are going for penetration, going lighter is a significant step backwards.

Bullet performance relies upon placement and physics (weight, size, and speed). Seems the real advantage of this is the fragmenting which can help in hitting an organ you might otherwise have missed (heart, lung, major arteries, etc.). In slow motion, looks like a very light ( 80 grains +/-) and small FMJ projectile, with fragmenting pieces.

This stuff looks like a very expensive gimmick that does nothing that a quality Federal or Corbon JHP, or frankly an FMJ (while less desirable, is quite deadly) doesn't already do.

Reminds me off all those gimmick shotgun rounds mixing various size shot pellets...

In other words, a solution in search of a problem.

There is no magic bullet.
2A: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF (2008, 2009, 2010) and OND (2011). Bronze Star Medal and Meritorious Service Medal recipient. NRA Lifetime Member. I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer and I have not offered you legal advice.
Old January 26, 2014, 02:04 AM   #25
Sierra280

Kind of neat, but I'm always kind if interested in 'novelty' ammo. The price is pretty outrageous though, $50 for a box of 20 is what I paid for some 180gr Black Talons for 308 (probably never shoot them, just like seeing the box on the ammo shelf). It's really funny what people think about these over hyped loads, as if any 180gr 308 round is more deadly than another!