The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 11, 2014, 01:01 PM   #26
eldermike

I don't think he should tinker with it. As already suggested, call the manufacturer and or find someone who knows the design of the lock.
Old January 12, 2014, 10:59 AM   #27
RodTheWrench

A BIG thank you to a1abdj and shortwave! I do appreciate all of the other helpful responses too, but I did exactly what those two suggested and IT WORKED. A 4x4 just shy of the length of the door and a ratcheting strap top and bottom around the whole safe and cranked down really tight allowed the stuck bolts to free up enough to release. You guys saved my butt!

Any automotive questions I can help with. PM me. I'm more than happy to return the favor.
Old January 12, 2014, 11:20 AM   #28
shortwave

Glad things worked out for ya.

Was it the ammo boxes at the bottom?
Old January 12, 2014, 11:57 AM   #29
armabill

Did you find out what caused the problem?
Old January 12, 2014, 12:50 PM   #30
BWM

This is what happens when you slammed the door! Why not jest shut it.
Old January 12, 2014, 02:34 PM   #31
Hal

So - don't keep us in suspense...

Is it back to working order or did you just manage to open the door?
Did you find out what was causing the problem?
Old January 12, 2014, 04:55 PM   #32
RodTheWrench

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. There was a box of ammo at the bottom right where the single bottom bolt goes down, but the upper and lower "adjusters" for the closing side bolts were tweaked as well. I can't see how the 4x4 trick would have worked if it was the ammo (no marks on the plastic box) and after getting everything adjusted it really wasn't that far out of whack. All I know is the handle was tight as hell before cinching down the ratchets, and it got a little easier the tighter I cinched that block of wood. It opened right up with the code when I figured it was sufficiently loosened up. I've tried it several times since and it works like a champ!

Last edited by RodTheWrench; January 12, 2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old January 12, 2014, 07:06 PM   #33
shortwave

Might be worth mentioning...

When my buddy called about his safe, the first thing I asked him was where the operating manual for the safe was at? It was locked in the safe....so he wouldn't loose it.

Made a suggestion to him to find another place for it for 'safe' keeping.
Old January 12, 2014, 08:08 PM   #34
Hal

Nice to hear a story with a happy ending for a change!
Old January 12, 2014, 09:53 PM   #35
Uncle Buck

Now that you have access to the safe, I would check the inside of the door (Remove the panel) and make sure nothing looks bent or shaved.

Glad you got it opened.
Old January 19, 2014, 12:51 AM   #36
Sevens

Just now caught the thread -- awesome that you got out of this jam unscathed! I'll bet you sweated off a few pounds worrying over this debacle!
(oh yeah, can't believe I'm the first to say it... but nice socks in the picture, man! )

Anyway, though the problem is solved, I have to make a comment on something brought up earlier:
Quote:
While safes are a good idea, one that breaks something when you slam the door, isn't.
Quote:
Safes are designed to break when exposed to force, which is the entire point. The safe doesn't know the difference between you slamming the door, and a bad guy smacking it with a sledge hammer, or flipping it on its back to begin to pry on it.
I'll have to second the motion on this one. On my former safe (which I sold to a good friend when I had to move) began to act up a bit (manual S&G dial lock), I got really familiar with the inside of it and I got a -very- good look at the re-locker and the fragile little plate and the awfully strong spring loading the re-locker pin. This entire little gizmo set-up was specifically designed to lock the safe up CLEAN AND DONE if it gets assaulted by some kind of drilling.

In looking at how it is designed... YEAH, I would not (at all!) recommend you violently slam the (ungodly heavy) vault door for any reason. But the point is... don't call your safe "weak" or "fragile" if it doesn't want to have it's heaviest moving part violently slammed shut.

The parts inside there truly are designed to shut down and lock up under assault. That's not "weakness", that's inherent security and defense from attack that's designed in to the safe.

Now then, OP, since you DID get out of this jam...

Why don'tcha share with us why in the heck you got mad enough to slam the door on your safe... with all your favorite stuff inside it?!

If I ever did that, I'd probably break my left wrist because I changed my mind about slamming it -- and I'd stick my stinkin' hand in there to stop it from happening.
Old January 19, 2014, 10:36 AM   #37
shortwave

Quote:
(oh yeah, can't believe I'm the first to say it... but nice socks in the picture, man! )
Well Sevens...I saw those as well in the reflection of the safe door but didn't want to kick a 'feller ' when he was down.

Had another friend of mine stop by the house years ago with a medium size safe(not a specific 'gun safe') in the back of his pickup. The safe had come from his fathers ( then, recently deceased) house. Nobody had the combination and the family wanted it opened. He wanted me to use the plasma cutter or torch and cut the thing open. Being a long time friend of mine and having gone to his dads funeral, I knew the safe was legit and had no problem helping him with it.

But was NOT going to use heat on it.

I told him I wouldn't do it cause he couldn't assure me of what was inside. I had concerns of using any kind of heat to open it. He thought I was speaking of damaging the possible valuables inside(money, important papers, jewelry, etc). While the valuables were a concern and I could not guarantee their safety, I was more worried about the possibility of something explosive being in the safe.

People store all kinds of things in safes and you just never know. To burn into any safe without knowing its contents can be risky business. Setting off a jug of gun powder or something else explosive inside a safe could surely ruin your day.

We ended up using a die grinder with a carbide cutoff wheel, hole saw and a sawzall. Ended up, nothing explosive inside.
Old January 19, 2014, 11:54 AM   #38
ChasingWhitetail91

Well talk about cliff hangers shortwave.
Old January 19, 2014, 01:19 PM   #39
shortwave

Quote:
Well talk about cliff hangers shortwave.
Sorry bout that ChasingWT91.

Sometimes we see guys in the movies on TV cutting into safes using torch's. In real life that could be very bad mojo.

Just wanted to get it out there that in case someone is ever in the same situation...stop and think before firing up the torch. Could be anything from a can of Zippo lighter fluid inside to C-4. Enclosed in an all steel safe could = a rather violent explosion.

Ya just never know.
Old January 19, 2014, 02:05 PM   #40
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Dang glad to hear everything worked out good for you.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 21, 2014, 09:51 AM   #41
ChasingWhitetail91

I would have done it the same way myself, I was talking about telling us all about an old safe you had to get into and not mentioning what was in it
Old January 21, 2014, 09:39 PM   #42
Uncle Buck

Talking about old safes, The guy I worked for as a kid had one in his cellar, built sometime in the middle to late 1800's.

We cut on it with torches, drilled it, beat it with hammers and chisels. Finally got it open and found a vial of liquid near the lock. The old man tossed it outside and it exploded. He told us later it was probably nitroglycerin. Apparently some of the earlier safes had nitro as a deterrent to stop thieves.

The only thing inside the old safe was an empty bank bag and a piece of paper with the combo on it.
Old January 22, 2014, 08:34 AM   #43
Pilot

Now count to ten after you have a frustrating moment!

Glad it worked out.
Old January 22, 2014, 03:01 PM   #44
Sevens

C'mon!!!!!
The pain has worn off and you've got all the glory of gettin' back inside without wrecking anything.

Now share with us why you slammed the door!
Old January 23, 2014, 12:44 AM   #45
45Gunner

Electronic Key Pads are not the problem. The problem lies with misuse of the safe. If you side load the locking mechanism, locking parts, gears, and motors can be damaged.

If you take the face of the Key Pad off, you will see a small hole near the top.
Put a small screw driver in there, applying pressure against the mechanism while entering the combination. You might get lucky and it will open. If that doesn't do it for you, invest the money and get a safe repair company out to fix it for you.

Had a similar problem last year although I did not slam my safe door. What I was doing was holding the door closed against pressure that was trying to keep it from closing…one of the door mounted guns was contacting a shelf thus "side loading" the locking mechanism. The way to prevent this in the future is to gently close the safe door and before engaging the lock, make sure the door stays completely closed on its own (assuming the safe is level). If it tends to creep open, check and make sure nothing is preventing the door from staying shut and if there is, change its position which will correct the situation against future problems.
NRA Life Member
Old January 23, 2014, 05:12 AM   #46
Sevens

C'mon, man, read the whole thread.