The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 15, 2014, 05:30 PM   #1
Cowboy_mo

Any ideas for a parts source

I have a T/C Classic .22 in need of a new extractor. I have tried T/C (now S & W). They say they don't have the part but I should send it in to their gunsmiths to be checked. I don't want to do this as I've been told S & W will say it isn't repairable and offer me an alternative gun (one of the A/R style .22s) and I don't want that. The rifle still shoots great, it just won't extract a loaded round.

I have tried Brownells, Numrich, and others but no one seems to have this extractor.

Hoping someone has another idea!
Old January 15, 2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Dc777

Try ebay. Also try midwayusa

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 15, 2014, 06:17 PM   #3
PetahW

It just might be that you don't need an extractor, but only a new (stronger) extractor spring (the original may be "tired") - which Numrich Arms lists as available for $2.50: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...22LR-42285.htm

Old January 15, 2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Old Stony

I think I would try S&W first as they now have a very responsive service dept. and can maybe get it working for you. If they figure they couldn't fix it, they will return it to you and you can try the alternatives. They aren't going confiscate your gun or anything like that..
Old January 15, 2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Cowboy_mo

DC ... have tried both of those with No Joy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Petah, thanks for the suggestion. Don't think it is that but for a few $$ it may be worth a try.

Stony, their last email (S & W) wasn't very encouraging. "We will repair it or offer alternatives."

Great suggestions folks, any others will be appreciated.
Old January 16, 2014, 01:24 PM   #6
PetahW

Alternatively, if the tip of the extractor's chipped/worn & camming off the case rim ILO grabbing it, the tip might be restored with a little file/stone work after the extractor's removed from the bolt.

Old January 16, 2014, 08:11 PM   #7
Cowboy_mo

Petah

Petah:

Quote:
Alternatively, if the tip of the extractor's chipped/worn & camming off the case rim ILO grabbing it, the tip might be restored with a little file/stone work after the extractor's removed from the bolt.
Are you suggesting filing/stoning into the extractor to allow the lip of the cartridge to fit deeper into the extractor part?

You hit the nail on the head with the extractor problem as the tip appears to have worn or chipped off allowing it to slip over the lip of the case.

Your idea makes sense but I'm not enough of a gunsmith to have thought about it.
Old January 16, 2014, 09:18 PM   #8
Romulus

I find it amazing that parts are such trouble to source for a rifle made in the past ten years or so (I don't know the last year of production but I saw a manual for it dated '03). How bizarre...

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old January 16, 2014, 10:03 PM   #9
Cowboy_mo

Quote:
I find it amazing that parts are such trouble to source for a rifle made in the past ten years or so (I don't know the last year of production but I saw a manual for it dated '03). How bizarre...
I agree with you but as Walter Cronkite used to say at the end of the history documentaries they showed us in grade school "That's the way it is"

I have read on a number of gun forums, (yes I know you can post anything on the net) that S & W doesn't really want these guns out there since they bought T/C. Hopefully I can find the part or find a way to repair this part as I don't plan to retire the rifle even it means having to "shoot it empty" every time I use it. They are very accurate and feels like a centerfire (weight & balance etc) when shooting it.
Old January 16, 2014, 10:04 PM   #10
boondocker385

any decent fabricators near you? we have a machine shop in town who has made some parts by special request for a few guys I know.
Old January 16, 2014, 10:22 PM   #11
Romulus

Cowboy that would be even more bizarre as supporting a firearm is still a "profit center" (gawd hate that term) as well as good PR for a manufacturer, especially for one not so obscure as the T/C Classic. Unless there's a hidden liability reason... I don't know much about this rifle, does it share a platform with any other model, where parts are still available? Just thinking out loud

Old January 16, 2014, 10:33 PM   #12
Romulus

Have you checked with Ahlmans in MN? It's worth a try http://www.ahlmans.com

Old January 17, 2014, 07:13 PM   #13
Cowboy_mo

Romulus, thank for the suggestion. Don't think I have ever talked to Ahlman's before. I will try to contact them next week.

Thanks again!
Old January 20, 2014, 08:53 PM   #14
Cowboy_mo

Well no joy with Ahlman's today.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Old January 21, 2014, 03:36 AM   #15
Romulus

That sucks. Well, S&W didn't say they wouldn't fix it. Maybe it's time to give them a shot.

Best of luck, I'll keep my eyes open, if I find anything in the next ten years I'll send you a PM.

Old January 21, 2014, 09:24 AM   #16
Hunter Customs

Have you tried Jack First?
Their number is (605) 343-9544.

If you can find the specs on type of metal and heat treat I would think one could be fabricated.
That being said it might be expensive, depending on the time involved.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 21, 2014, 09:53 PM   #17
Cowboy_mo

Thanks Romulus.

Bob, I will give them a try tomorrow. I am sure you are correct about fabricating the part. It doesn't look like a real specialized part (appears to be stamped steel). Thanks for the suggestion.
Old January 22, 2014, 12:00 PM   #18
Cowboy_mo

Bob, thanks again but no luck with Jack First. The lady said they haven't had any parts for T/C since S&W bought them out.
Old January 22, 2014, 05:14 PM   #19
Hunter Customs

Cowboy_mo, you are welcome for my suggestion, I'm sorry it did not pan out.
Right now I can't think of any others, but if I do in the future I'll let you know.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 22, 2014, 05:22 PM   #20
shooterbob

Might try the tc classic forum here
http://www.oocities.org/tc22classic/
I hope its ok to post other forums, if not apologies and remove.
Old January 22, 2014, 11:53 PM   #21
shooterbob

Sorry I didn't see 22. Thought it was for 5mm.
Stacy

Last edited by shooterbob; January 23, 2014 at 03:08 AM.