The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 18, 2014, 06:52 AM   #1
rebs

ruger american or savage axis in 223 ?

which would be your first choice of these two rifles ?
Old January 18, 2014, 07:33 AM   #2
reynolds357

If they are selling at roughly equal price, I would choose the Ruger. If you can find the savage for $100 less, which you often can at Academy and Dicks, I would choose the Savage.
Old January 18, 2014, 10:32 AM   #3
jmr40

Ruger
Old January 18, 2014, 10:34 AM   #4
taylorce1

Ruger is supposed to be a 1:8 twist barrel which will allow you to use heavier bullets if you're a reloader. Other than that, I'd rather spend my money on Savage 10 or Remington M700 for about $100 more.
Old January 18, 2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Huffmanite

Ruger
Old January 18, 2014, 10:54 AM   #6
SteelChickenShooter

I would buy the Ruger as my first choice.
Old January 18, 2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Metal god

Holy cow . just went to Rugers web site . They come in 223 and stainless now . I want another one now

I don't know much about the Axis but I do have a pretty good understand of the American .

American

You will need to sand out the barrel channel a bit to be sure the barrel stays free floating . If not the stock will touch the barrel with the lightest of pressure . This will cause inconsistent POI . Meaning your 1 moa rifle will only shoot 2 moa

The trigger is good but not great . I used to think it had a nice crisp break with no pre travail . I was wrong , I can get the trigger to move back with out the hammer dropping . I never noticed it before until I start shooting my new Savage with Accu-trigger . The two trigger may not be miles apart but there's enough of a difference that after shooting 800 rounds out of my Savage . I then for the first time in months took the American out and thought , What the heck happened to the trigger . It sucks now . Nothing happened , I just got used to a better trigger . That being said the trigger is very nice for the Rifle and price range .

Barrel heating up . The barrel gets hot quick and groups can start to open up . It's not a shoot all day long target rifle IMO . You can use for that but it is what it is .

Axis

There is only 3 things I can think of saying about it .

1) It's a Savage

2) not one person has ever said that the one they own is NOT very accurate

2) There is after market stocks for them now. There's a thread on here titled turning a pigs ear into a silk purse or something like that . The guy put his Axis in to a laminate stock and it looks great .

IMO , it's 6 of one half dozen of another .
As of this date 8-18-14 at 6:42am I became a proud grandfather I guess I'm officially old
Old January 18, 2014, 03:42 PM   #8
4runnerman

Savage with out even a split second thought.
Old January 18, 2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Jay24bal

I would (and have, twice) go with the Axis.

I do not own the American, but shoot them regularly enough to be familiar with them as two of the guys I go shooting regularly with have them.

IMO, neither will lead you wrong as they are both more accurate than anyone would think for $300. I'm just a Savage guy...

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 18, 2014, 11:08 PM   #10
rammerjammer

When in doubt..get the Savage. Its like electronics for me, if I dont know which camera , tv, stereo, dvd player etc. to buy and im standing in the store I just get the Sony. Go with the proven winner.
Old January 20, 2014, 10:01 AM   #11
Dirty_Harry

How is Ruger not a proven winner?

I would go with the Ruger. This is only personal preference, but the stock fits me better. I also like the bolt on the Ruger better. Much smoother and the handle is nicer.

I have one in .308 that I really like, and plan to get one in .223.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old January 20, 2014, 10:26 AM   #12
Kleab

Savage just introduced their new Axis II XP models that come WITH the AccuTrigger. MSRP is still only $489 which means these are a steal!

http://www.petersenshunting.com/2014...-arms-axis-ii/
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/axis2xp
"We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."
~Doctrine and Covenants 134:11
Old January 21, 2014, 01:24 PM   #13
TMW89

Check out YouTube, look for a review on Nutnfancy's channel. He compared the two unbiased and with detail.
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old January 21, 2014, 07:08 PM   #14
Orion6

After buying my daughter an Axis .223, I'd buy an Axis.

My local big box store has a .308 Axis for $259 and .223 for $279. For the way they shoot that's a steal.
Old January 21, 2014, 08:33 PM   #15
TMW89

Thanks Kleab for the info! I didn't know they were putting the accutrigger in the axis. I was kinda debating this same issue in my head but that pretty much made my mind.
I have an accutrigger on my mark 2 and its awesome.
Old January 22, 2014, 01:48 PM   #16
Metal god

The 22 rimfire accu-trigger and the one in there center fire rifles are different . I'd like to know which one they are putting in the Axis .
As of this date 8-18-14 at 6:42am I became a proud grandfather I guess I'm officially old

Last edited by Metal god; January 22, 2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old January 22, 2014, 02:47 PM   #17
FiveInADime

I don't know what the Axis II will end up selling for, but $489 will buy you a 10/110, won't it?
Old January 22, 2014, 06:03 PM   #18
TMW89

@Metal god,

I didn't realize the triggers were different, what do they change?
Old January 22, 2014, 07:39 PM   #19
Catfish

The Ruger is will be better looking, but you won`t mind beating up the Savage. The Axis has the old Savage with no adjustment screw for trigger pull, but you can get one at any good hardware store. I bought one just to tare it down and look it over, and to tell the truth didm`t like the trigger or the way they have the recoil lug. BUT, mine was a 22-250 and the first reloads I shot in it put 5 round into a 1/2 in. group. H-380 with 55 gr, Nosler bullets are all I have tried in it, but for a carry gun 1/2 moa is good enough for me.
Old January 22, 2014, 09:58 PM   #20
steveNChunter

The Savage Axis, by far, for one major reason. Aftermarket. You have a couple stock and trigger options with the Axis. Not so with the American. The flimsy, cheap, ugly stock that cannot be replaced is the main thing that keeps me away from the American. Also consider the barrel twist rate. The Axis (1:9") should shoot the 55 gr or lighter bullets better than the RAR (1:8"). Also if you want a stainless RAR you will have to wait till at least March. The RAR in .223 should be an accurate rifle, but I doubt seriously it will outshoot my .223 Axis.

"I never said half the crap that people on the internet claim I said" - Abraham Lincoln
Old January 22, 2014, 10:49 PM   #21
Metal god

To be honest I don't know . I have both a MK 2 FV and a Model 10 FCP-K . When you look at the triggers side by side out of the stocks they are designed different . It's been a whille since I did that but do remember quite clearly they did not look the same . Sorry thats the best I can do for you right now . I don't feel like taking them apart right now . Maybe in the next day or two I'll take a look again . maybe take some pics
Old January 23, 2014, 08:31 AM   #22
TMW89

SteveNChunter, could I ask what mods have been done to yours? Or is that pretty group just from using handloads?
Old January 23, 2014, 10:56 AM   #23
Jay24bal

My results, and my load are incredibly similar to those above from SteveNChunter.

The only modifications I have made to mine are a new Boyds' stock, and clipping coils off the trigger spring. I have not even bedded the rifle yet as I am waiting for my supplies that I prefer to use that are on backorder.

I have no data on groups before the trigger coils were clipped off as I did it before ever shooting for groups on both rifles.

I can tell you that the Boyds' stock tightened my 5 shot groups up noitceably (forgive me, but I am at work and do not have access to my notebook with exact numbers, so every number going forward is from the best of my memory). These numbers are for my .223 as that s what is reference above, and I am not settled into a load for the 308 yet.

Before the stock was available, shooting handloads strikingly similar to those above (slightly shorter COL and .1 less grain of powder), I was averaging about .450" with 5 shot groups at 100 yards. After the stock, I am averaging about .370". But most importantly, the dispersion is smaller. Instead of having one group in there that was always .850, a couple that were .700 and so on, after the stock, the biggest group I ever see is about .500. I shoot off of a bipod and the stock flexed a lot as such.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 23, 2014, 08:09 PM   #24
steveNChunter

Quote:
The only modifications I have made to mine are a new Boyds' stock, and clipping coils off the trigger spring.
I have done the same to my rifle. A Boyd's Prairie Hunter laminate stock and the trigger mod is all that I've done to my rifle.

FWIW, my rifle shot groups in the 0.6's @ 100 yards before the Boyd's stock with and with factory ammo. Now with the stock and my handloads, what little I've shot the rifle it had a best group of .288" and worst about .4". When I get a chance to shoot it some more I'm pretty confident that I can get a better group out of it. The group pictured was shot off bags with a decent crosswind, I'd say a lead sled (and maybe a better shooter) would tighten the groups up.

When my local gun club has their next match, I hope to use my little Axis to hurt some expensive rifle owners' feelings

"I never said half the crap that people on the internet claim I said" - Abraham Lincoln
Old January 23, 2014, 09:26 PM   #25
TMW89

I believe you will, Steve