The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 16, 2014, 11:07 PM   #1
Jay24bal

Stevens being discontinued?

I have a buddy who is at the SHOT Show, and the word is that Savage is discontinuing the Stevens line. If you go to the Savage website and look under the Stevens tab, it reads "Not available at this time."

I know a lot of people love the Stevens 200 as an entry level rifle, so I wanted to see if anyone else (perhaps shop owners or others "in the know") has heard these rumors?

If it is true, it makes sense. With the Axis gaining in popularity, it seems to be a duplicate for Savage. While there are differences in the way they operate, they are sold at pretty much the same price point and aimed at the same consumer.

Thoughts?

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 16, 2014, 11:17 PM   #2
PVL

The Stevens was in the same price range as the Axis, but was of higher quality and thus was less profitable.

Same as the deal with incandescent lightbulbs. The profit margin was smaller, so GE wanted to eliminate them.

In both cases, the item with the smaller profit margin had to go, in GE's case with government collusion.
Old January 17, 2014, 09:40 AM   #3
jmr40

Savage has continued to show the 200 on their website although I haven't seen a new gun since shortly after the Axis came out. Looks like they are finally making it official.
Old January 17, 2014, 09:57 AM   #4
FiveInADime

It seems used Savage rifles will be a hotter commodity without the option of using a Stevens for budget custom guns.
Old January 17, 2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Rob62

Nothing to add except to say that I hope its not true. I like the lines of the older Savage 110's & Stevens 200's. Not a big fan of the Axis' lines (profile) I know it is a quality built rifle and surely accurate as all other Savages - its just something about the overall look I do not like.

Regards,

Rob
Old January 17, 2014, 07:38 PM   #6
steveNChunter

The Axis really doesn't have any less going for it than the Stevens 200. They both have a crappy factory trigger that can be easily modified or replaced, they both have a cheap flimsy stock that a lot of people will replace, they use the same barrels and they are potentially equally accurate. The Stevens has a traditional recoil lug but that doesn't seem to be any better or worse for accuracy than the Axis with the lug in the stock.

The Axis finally has enough aftermarket support to be a good candidate for a build, and the aftermarket will only continue to grow with the rifle's popularity. I'm sure Savage realizes this and they know most Stevens 200 owners buy them for builds. As stated earlier, their profit margin might be slightly less with the Stevens, and it also doesn't make financial sense to have two different sets of parts and tooling for rifles that meet the same price point. They probably see a good opportunity to save/make more money by shrinking their lineup, and at the end of the day, making money is why they make guns.
Old January 17, 2014, 11:05 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

" it also doesn't make financial sense to have two different sets of parts and tooling for rifles that meet the same price point."
Let alone marketing both brands.
Old January 17, 2014, 11:40 PM   #8
reynolds357

Savage still has to use tooling they were using for Stevens. It is the same tooling as their other bolt action rifles. Maybe they needed the production capacity for some of their higher end stuff
Old January 18, 2014, 08:48 AM   #9
ndking1126

I'd rather buy a Stevens 200 action alone for the price of a full gun over buying an Axis.

Don't give me the barrel, trigger and stock.. that'll help them save some money!
Old January 18, 2014, 09:36 AM   #10
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
Same as the deal with incandescent lightbulbs. The profit margin was smaller, so GE wanted to eliminate them.
No not even close to accurate.

The federal government enacted the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 in December 2007 - that's what is eliminating incandescent bulbs in the market.

The standards start with 100-watt bulbs and end with 40-watt bulbs.

Light bulbs outside of this range are exempt from the restrictions. Also exempt are several classes of specialty lights, including appliance lamps, rough service bulbs, 3-way, colored lamps, stage lighting, plant lights, candelabra lights under 60 watts, outdoor post lights less than 100 watts, nightlights and shatter resistant bulbs.

Has nothing to do with GE wanting to eliminate them - which even if they did, the market would buy them from Philips, Sylvania, etc.
Old January 18, 2014, 10:30 AM   #11
reynolds357

NDKing, I am quickly changing my mind about the Axis. In its factory configuration, I do not like it very much. With the advent of aftermarket parts, the merits of its action for a custom build could be debated.
Old January 19, 2014, 12:29 AM   #12
Stillhunter

Haven,t seen a Steven,s on the shelf in a coon,s age.
To me it doesn,t make good business sense to keep both around.
Maybe Savage is getting ready to give the Stevens a face lift.
Old January 19, 2014, 05:13 AM   #13
steveNChunter

Quote:
With the advent of aftermarket parts, the merits of its action for a custom build could be debated.

There are some awesome custom Axis rifles on the Savage Shooters forum. Looking at them has got me wanting to pick up another Axis for a build. The .223 I have now shoots too good to mess with. Another plus with the Axis is you can get one in stainless for $350 or less. If I'm going to stick an aftermarket stainless barrel on an action, I'd prefer the action be stainless as well.

The only thing lacking in the aftermarket is nobody is making mags for them... yet. The factory ones leave alot to be desired. Too much plastic. Especially the tab that holds them in. That should be a metal part IMO. There are some guys making extended mags for them but they start with the factory mag and extend it so that doesn't do away with any of the plastic that was already there.
Old January 19, 2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Colt46

They've been hard to find retail for a while now

I kinda figured why keep two entry level rifles in production?
Old January 19, 2014, 06:45 PM   #15
tobnpr

I don't think the Axis will ever enjoy the same aftermarket support for stocks as the Savage 10 etc. series.

The fact that the recoil lug is part of the stock- and not the receiver- is a whole 'nother animal that low-end stock manufacturers just aren't set up for, and probably can't justify setting up an entirely separate operation for them.

It took years before the 10 series got respectable support, and still pales in comparison to the 700.
Old January 19, 2014, 09:53 PM   #16
steveNChunter

Quote:
The fact that the recoil lug is part of the stock- and not the receiver- is a whole 'nother animal that low-end stock manufacturers just aren't set up for, and probably can't justify setting up an entirely separate operation for them.
Then please explain to me how Boyd's can sell a nice laminate stock for the Axis for $99 and my Axis in a Boyd's will shoot three shot groups around 0.3" at 100 yards all day long. The Axis stocks from Boyd's come with a recoil lug and trigger guard to fit the stock. Sharp Shooter's supply also makes stocks for the Axis. They are about $225 but they are very nice stocks. But for the money Boyd's can't be beat IMO. The Stevens 200 had some things going for it, such as interchangeability with the model 10/110. But as far as accuracy, the Axis has equal potential.
Old January 19, 2014, 09:59 PM   #17
reynolds357

I am thinking about buying an axis in .25-06. The stock and the bolt handle are the only things I did not like about them, and now there is an easy remedy for both.
Old January 20, 2014, 10:19 PM   #18
tobnpr

Quote:
Then please explain to me how Boyd's can sell a nice laminate stock for the Axis for $99
Didn't know that they did... glad they are, and that it works for you.

What I said was that I don't think it will ever garner the same level of aftermarket support- and I still believe that.

I don't think you'll be seeing McMillan, Manners, or even Bell and Carlson or HS Precision making stocks for them. Likely because there's a line of reasoning that no one is going to spend $300-$600 on a stock for a $300 "entry level" rifle.

Of course, when those "entry level" rifles can sometimes outshoot those costing five times as much, it makes us (uncomfortably) question the adages "Buy once, cry once" and "you get what you pay for"...

New designs that minimize machining, and increasingly better precision in CNC tolerances and lower costs is, I think- going to continue produce highly accurate rifles at prices that defy the "cost/accuracy/quality" curve.

I'm sure those guys spend some dough on marketing research to determine potential demand for their product, they'll do it if they believe it will be profitable.
Old January 21, 2014, 07:05 PM   #19
Orion6

The Axis will actually surprise you with it's quality. I did not like them at all but I bought my 11 year-old an Axis "Muddy Girl" camo youth model.

The fit and finish on her gun is great for a value rifle. After I cleaned up the trigger pull a bit it's an excellent little platform. I plan on buying a Boyd's wood stock and putting it up until she stops growing.

I realize they look a little unusual, but they are indeed very good rifles.
Old January 22, 2014, 12:55 PM   #20
ndking1126

Quote:
With the advent of aftermarket parts, the merits of its action for a custom build could be debated.
Fair enough.. Mainly I dislike them for the same reason tobnpr brings up - I don't believe the aftermarket support will be the same. With the Stevens, I could go all high end if I wanted to because it worked with items made for the Savage 10 action. With the Axis, there will be some options. And for a lot of people, they will be a quality purchase at the right price.

Definitely nothing wrong with that. And I have no problem being proven wrong on this one!
Old January 22, 2014, 01:34 PM   #21
reynolds357

I have built a lot of custom Savages over the years. They were all for my own enjoyment. My only hang up about building on a Savage action is that you can not sell the rifles for anything close to what it is worth. Build the same Custom on a Remington action and you can make a pretty penny on the build. The mostly un-educated about firearms buyers who are willing to shell out big bucks for a rifle do not want a Savage based custom. I would guess a custom with Stevens or Savage Axis on it would be dang near impossible to sell.
Old January 22, 2014, 02:02 PM   #22
Picher

I never thought the Stevens name would last this long. It didn't seem like having two brand names was as profitable as it could be with just one.

My first rifle was a Stevens Semi-auto .22LR and first Centerfire was a Savage 110, '06. I also bought a couple of Model 24's, a .22LR/20ga and a .357 mag/20 ga. I wish I could say that I didn't have problems with all of them.
People are like rifles. Some are tried and true, having great eyes, personality, and fun to be with. Others never seem to hit the mark with you. Still others go off half-cocked. Still, it's nice to know most of them.
Old January 22, 2014, 07:25 PM   #23
tobnpr

Quote:
I have built a lot of custom Savages over the years. They were all for my own enjoyment. My only hang up about building on a Savage action is that you can not sell the rifles for anything close to what it is worth. Build the same Custom on a Remington action and you can make a pretty penny on the build.
Fair point...but I think it is evolving, albeit slowly.
Any serious shooter that gets past the make, and maker, realizes it's all about the consistency of the platform.

I get it if it's a quarter minute rifle...but when I see someone asking three grand for a used, custom build that produces 3/4 minute targets I have to ask myself who in the world would pay that much, for so (relatively) little.