The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 11, 2014, 08:46 AM   #51
kcub

Surprised the gent from Idaho hates the BL-22. I haven't yet met a Browning I hated. You should be able to use a bore snake to clean the barrel. Why you really need to get deep inside the action is a mystery to me short of submerging it in a lake.
Old January 19, 2014, 03:37 AM   #52
jmstr

I love my Marlin 39a from 1954.

More accurate than I am capable of, a lot of fun, 19+1 rounds on hand, history also.

BTW, do some research on the 39. It has been around for ever.

The 39a actually began sometime in the 1930s, if I remember right. The 'golden' variety began around 1956-58.

The rebounding hammered versions began in then early/mid 1980s?

My dates are approximate, so don't accept as ABSOLUTE truths.

The reason I bring them up is that I would search for a 39a made between 1954 and 1977, just to be sure I had the most modern design BEFORE the rebounding hammer was used.

Earlier ones have nicer finishes, if they are still in good shape.

Now, the other versions mentioned all have their merits.

All I can say is that I don't need to spend more money on another lever .22lr [especially considering how hard it is to find ammo], with my 39a. I feel like I have one that will work forever and it out shoots me.

Plus, this is the family of .22lr rifles that Anne Oakley used for her famous stunts. How can I give THAT history up?
Old January 19, 2014, 08:18 AM   #53
cecILL

After all the research, and wisdom from you guys, I think the Mountie will be the next grail in the search, although you never know what might come around in the meantime.

Did pick up the 9422 last weekend at the local gun show. Didn't really have a chance to check it out closely until home. Got lucky. Took it out of the box and could smell the factory lube! Not a ding or spot of rust. Pristine. Doubt was ever fired. Probably never out of the box but a couple of times.

Really liking the lever actions!
Old January 19, 2014, 09:07 AM   #54
Guv

Well said jmstr, the 39 Marlin is a working piece of American History. Forged steel and Walnut, in a class by itself.
Old January 19, 2014, 09:43 AM   #55
smee78

The 9422 solved my 22lr lever action needs.
Old January 19, 2014, 10:06 AM   #56
alex0535

I have a Henry H001. It is light, accurate, and its been a good one for over a decade. Henry has a great warranty. If you want one a little heavier the octagon barrel is pretty nice.

The Marlin 39a has a reputation for being great, I would go for an older one.
Old January 19, 2014, 10:30 AM   #57
RodTheWrench

Looks like I'll have to find me a 39a

My Winchester 9422M is the equivalent of asking out the Prom Queen - and her accepting! To explain, I had been looking for one for several years, they were all either beat up or WAY out of control on price. This past year however, I happened upon one online on our local firearms classifieds. BINGO - the perfect scenario, the guy bought it new in the 80s and never shot it much, so after years of hanging out in the safe he decided to sell. You guys won't believe me, but it was 600 bucks, complete with factory manual, front sight hood and factory hammer extension uninstalled. Shooting it for the first time was like asking the Prom Queen if she wanted to get in the back seat with me...
Old January 19, 2014, 11:00 AM   #58
az_imuth

There appear's to be a new player in town that's loosely based upon the Marlin Mountie, by Chiappa. Don't know much about it, but it comes with a case-color hardened receiver, an 18.5 " barrel, and no crossbolt safety. Street price looks to be below $400 and seems to be made in Dayton, OH.
Old January 19, 2014, 03:50 PM   #59
Keg

I prefer the Marlin 39 Mountie or Winchester 9422.... The Win pictured is a 9422M XTR trapper....

Last edited by Keg; March 16, 2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old January 22, 2014, 11:14 PM   #60
treg

Henry or Browning, depending on your price range.

My Henry is super smooth and very accurate.

Anybody ever wear a Henry out?

.44 Special: For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.
Old January 25, 2014, 12:27 PM   #61
salvadore

Quote:
Surprised the gent from Idaho hates the BL-22. I haven't yet met a Browning I hated. You should be able to use a bore snake to clean the barrel. Why you really need to get deep inside the action is a mystery to me short of submerging it in a lake.
Check out the action of any shooter that is shot a lot and never cleaned.

As far as Idaho goes, the most popular .22 is the 10/22 and the most lever actions I see are old 9422s or Marlin 39As...Lately the Henrys are selling like hotcakes.
Old January 29, 2014, 11:00 PM   #62
bitttorrrent

Quote:
keep the magnum.
Will do! Just found some boxes of ammo and now just need this cold weather to go away.
Old February 2, 2014, 04:43 PM   #63
beak7707

For the money hard to beat Henry 22's. Money not an issue 9422 is a great lever gun.
Old February 2, 2014, 05:52 PM   #64
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I have a 39-A {Golden} Marlin rifle. {receiver take-apart one} Haven't shot it much since I bought it (new.)__ Maybe 2 box's of L-R shells is all that's been down its barrel. Couple disappointments I've encountered with my 39-A. I don't think its all that accurate is #1 __Having a fold down rear sight is a hindrance for another reason #2. {otherwise its a well built rife} I actually prefer my 582 Rem over the Marlin. At lease I can hit what I aim for with the 582 out to 50 yards pretty regular as it is scoped with a (large) single power rifle scope. Can't say the same with that 39-A Golden as its never been scoped since day one of my ownership.