The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 14, 2014, 06:31 PM   #26
Jo6pak

Lucky you got any ammo. Still can't find any locally.
Once the rimfire ammo starts coming back, I will be buying the same rifle. I will most likely swap the stock for a target style synthetic off a TR.
Old January 14, 2014, 09:27 PM   #27
TMW89

Usually I can find it at the bigger stores now. Just the bare bones CCI .22 standard. Goes for $5 per 50
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old January 14, 2014, 10:47 PM   #28
CDR_Glock

Savage MKII FV-SR

I ended up getting a Mark II TRR-SR

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389757563.434428.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389757573.672224.jpg

Vortex HS-T 4-16x44mm
20 MOA rail and Warne rings
Harris Bipod
Old January 15, 2014, 12:38 AM   #29
BerdanSS

VERY nice CDR

I would have preferred the longer barrel like yours myself, but the LGS didn't have one available. And I was trying to justify buying mine over the air rifle I was planning on, due to the fact the FV-SR was a meager few dollars more. Funny side note, I just bough that very same sling for mine tonight

@ jo6pak

Lucky indeed sir. Before the two following events I had maybe 150 + or - rounds of LR on hand:

My brother in law moved into a new house beginning of this year. He found a "coffee can" full of "bullets". He, having no interest in firearms, gave me said "bullets. turned out to be TWO of the biggest antique coffee can I've ever seen. Each can was about a foot tall and dang near as wide...containing somewhere in the neighborhood of over 2000 rounds of Un opened assorted brands/types of .22 LR. ( one can had about 12 packs of CCI stingers)

The next couple weeks I happened by a LGS. I walked in and there on the counter, were two 500 round bricks of CCI standard velocity Match.....for pre panic federal bulk pack price I bought both. Another shop near me regularly has the large bulk packs of CCI plated HP Mini-mags for fair prices.

Last edited by BerdanSS; January 15, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old January 15, 2014, 12:42 AM   #30
BerdanSS

FULL RANGE REPORT on the FV-SR INBOUND THIS SATURDAY........STAY TUNED!
Old January 15, 2014, 05:26 PM   #31
Jo6pak

CDR= Nice rifle, that is the stock I want, but with the shorty barrel of the FV-SR.

BerdanSS= staying tuned indeed.
Old February 8, 2014, 11:33 PM   #32
BerdanSS

Okay fellas, since we've been in the low teens to sub-0 temps for what seems like FOREVER. I haven't been able to get to the range, between work and the snow. I couldn't take it any more and decided heck or high water I was going to shoot this thing.

I put the rifle in the truck and headed out to my folks place. After showing the rifle to dad, and getting a hearty laugh out of him when I asked if he wanted to venture the 15 min walk through the snow and 9* temp. I headed out with the rifle, a staple gun target board and two full ten round magazines.

<EDIT> I got the scope a few weeks ago and it turned out to be a defective one. There are thousands of mico bubbles in the center lens, don't ask me how neither I, or the LGS owner missed it when mounting the dern thing at his shop To top it off, while the scopes elevation adjustment is just fine, the windage was surprisingly only an inch off to the right....but no matter how far you turn the knob, there is no movement. (mil-dot saved the day on that one for this shooting session)
The short of that story is the replacement scope is in route to me.

Last edited by BerdanSS; February 9, 2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old February 8, 2014, 11:45 PM   #33
BerdanSS

I will be doing a full report with about 9 different types of .22 at different ranges, once it both warms up (over 30*) and the new scope is mounted.

This was between 25-30 yards (my range markers I put out years ago are long gone) kneeling, leaned against a tree. Shooting Eley Subsonic LHPs.

Last 5 rounds

The comically large scope (yes I turned into one of those guys)

Last edited by BerdanSS; February 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old February 9, 2014, 02:29 PM   #34
TMW89

That thing is sweet! Good shooting
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"