The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 10, 2014, 03:36 PM   #1
BombthePeasants

Question for .22LR AR owners

Dearest Gun Nuts,

I recently bought the Model 1 Sales .22LR kit, and I am totally in love with this gun! It is so fun to shoot, it is perhaps my favorite non-M1-Garand-or-Carbine rifle I own. OK, it is the only non-M1-Garand-or-Carbine I own...that is beside the point, however. I am trying to find a good 20 round magazine for it. All I can find is the Black Dog 15 rounders. Does anyone else make a good .22AR magazine? I don't want a long magazine like the 25 or 26 rounders, I'm not a long magazine fan.

Thanks in advance!
Old January 10, 2014, 03:59 PM   #2
MarkCO

Your choice is limitless as long as they are Black Dogs. They really are a good mag which is why almost everyone (except S&W) has standardized on them for the .22ARs. I spent thousands of rounds and hundreds of dollars trying some one-offs as I was working at putting together our 22AR uppers. While you can buy CMMGs, they are Black Dog style. You can pretty much get 10, 15, 25/26, 50. There were some machined aluminum 20s made about 6 or 7 years ago, but they are no longer made.
Old January 11, 2014, 09:23 AM   #3
Ibmikey

I have a DPMS dedicated rifle (with Magpul O D furniture) which uses the same magazines, I prefer the shorter 15 round with a slight curve. I painted my mags with OD spray paint and a satin clear, also replaced the plastic feed lips with metal ones. The mags work super and the rifle is as you indicated "fun to shoot" and totally reliable. It is AR in features and weight however my 15-22 is also as much fun, decisions-decisions when heading to the forest to shoot :-)
Old January 12, 2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Fishbed77

The Black Dog Machine mags are the best.