The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 11, 2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Nathan

Buffer Weight vs Spring Weight in an AR15

Seems luck there is a lot of guessing that goes on with these 2 when an AR won't run.

The 2 are inter-related, so how do I know what I need? Especially in a Frankengun like mine! Mine is a rifle gas with a 17" barrel. Gas port was opened up when the barrel was shortened. Stock is a VLTOR EMOD kit which is probably sprung/buffed for a carbine.

It runs good with all brass 5.56 ammo I've put in it, including my reloads. It has struggled a bit before on Wolfe steel case about 5 years ago and I never tried again. Struggled means FTF.

It has FTF'd on reloads when quite dirty...BOB type FTF. <- this is very rare and never in my hands...it was a younger kid shooting it standing.

Normal brass case 5.56 gives me 3-4 o'clock ejection.

So, if I want to dig into this, what should I try first spring weight or buffer weight?

My goal is to make this run any ammo I can find marked 5.56, even when dirty.
Old January 11, 2014, 05:41 PM   #2
rep1954

I have a 11.5" barrel that ran well with most 5.56 ammo but fell short with some 55gr. .223 ammo. I had a 2.9 oz. buffer in it and switched to a 4.6 oz. and now it is completely reliable. The only steel case ammo I have ever ran in it is some Colt 62gr. galvanized and some Hertters 55gr. laquer coated and both have ran well.
Old January 11, 2014, 06:33 PM   #3
DubC-Hicks

A rifle gas system on a 17" barrel is pretty undergassed, so I'd say you should get a standard 2.9-3 ounce buffer with a standard buffer spring. If that's what you already have, you may need a reduced power spring from Wolff or Sprinco.