The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 9, 2014, 06:43 AM   #1
MJFlores

Drilling a cleaning port in a Ruger 10/22 Receiver

Thinking about doing this, and cant really find a reason not to. Has anyone else done this? I just don't like bore snakes for cleaning, and really prefer to clean from the chamber end of a barrel with a solid cleaning rod. It looks easy and I cant see how it would weaken the receiver at all. It sort of makes you wonder why Ruger doesn't do it, although it could be a whole additional machining step that would add cost to the gun...that's the only reason I can think of for them not doing it these days.
Old January 9, 2014, 07:19 AM   #2
hornet41

Get the OTIS cleaning kit and never look back!! Use on all my gas guns!
Old January 9, 2014, 07:52 AM   #3
cecILL

What, you're supposed to clean .22 barrels?
Old January 9, 2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

You're supposed to clean 10/22s???
Old January 9, 2014, 11:23 AM   #5
shrewd

Drilling a hole in a 10/22 just to clean it seems wrong to me

I've fired thousands of rounds and maybe wiped down the inside of the receiver twice?
Old January 9, 2014, 11:24 AM   #6
MJFlores

I know huh? I'm as guilty as the next guy for not cleaning my 10/22 nearly as often as I should. Seems like drilling a little hole is the way to go.
Old January 9, 2014, 11:29 AM   #7
Willie Lowman

I think the Magnum Research 10/22 copies have/had a cleaning hole in the back of the receiver.
Old January 9, 2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Pahoo

Perhaps, because you really don't have to

Quote:
Thinking about doing this, and cant really find a reason not to.
Then by all means, do so but that I think you are asking; does one have to. You have already defined your problem and yes, I clean my bores but not to frequent. You don't have to drill the back of the receiver in order to clean the bore, from breech to muzzle. As you already know, you remove two pins, drop the trigger housing, remove the bolt, spring and handle them drive the bolt stop out. Then after cleaning, put everything back together. .... Not a problem

An option;
I use a needle-eye jag. Mount the entire rifle, in my stand. Lock the bolt back. Insert my un-jagged rod, from muzzle to breech. I insert a patch into the eye of the jag, thread the jag into the rod, drop a couple of drops of Hoppe's onto the patch. Draw out slowly and stop just inside the bore. Rotate and stroke a bit and then slowly draw it out the muzzle. I repeat as needed and then light coat of oil. You can remove as much "stuff" as you like but don't really need to.. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 9, 2014, 12:00 PM   #9
MJFlores

The only problem with taking the barrel off is, if you have a scope the barrel wont be zero'd when you put it all back together. It'll be close, but you may need an adjustment of an inch or two. Also, we're talking about tightening bolts into aluminum holes so eventually the threads are going to soften up and strip. With the frequency I clean mine, it would take 300 years to happen but I'd like to clean it a lot more. I believe I'm going to get out the drill this weekend.
Old January 9, 2014, 12:27 PM   #10
Pahoo

Huh ???

Quote:
The only problem with taking the barrel off is,
WOW,
Where is that coming from?? Who mentioned, taking the barrel off, in order to clean it? ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 9, 2014, 08:32 PM   #11
Dfariswheel

A lot of shooters drill the hole.
Brownell's even sell a drilling guide, although it's simple to spot it by eye.
After drilling, use a countersink to lightly bevel both sides of the hole.

One trick to spot the hole is to put a cleaning rod down the bore from the muzzle and push it back until it touches the rear of the receiver.
Measure from the bottom flat of the receiver to the rod, then measure the same amount outside and center punch a mark to start the drill.
Old January 10, 2014, 07:25 AM   #12
Mike38

I have two Ruger 10/22 carbines. One is 15 years old, the other 3 years old. Neither one has had a cleaning rod down the bore. A piece of Weed Eater line and patches is all I have ever used.
Old January 10, 2014, 09:36 AM   #13
g.willikers

On the other hand, has anyone actually noticed any deterioration in accuracy in their rifles that have been cleaned from the muzzle end?
Old January 10, 2014, 10:41 AM   #14
Pahoo

Rod Wabble ???

Quote:
On the other hand, has anyone actually noticed any deterioration in accuracy in their rifles that have been cleaned from the muzzle end?
Great question and yes although not as common as one might think. I strongly suspect that the crown and muzzle damage, came from the rod and not so much the jag or patch. It's easier to pull a rope than to push one ...

Oh, not specifically on a 10/22 ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 10, 2014, 12:51 PM   #15
ratshooter

I have three 10/22s and I did drill one of the receivers for a cleaning hole. Its was easy to do and I doubt it weakens the receiver at all. My other two guns I clean by running the rod down the barrel and screwing on the bore brush in the receiver then I pull it out through the muzzle. Two or three passes with the brush seems to be all I need then a few patches and I'm done. I do the patches the same way. Install a patch in the jag, screw it to the rod and drag it out of the bore. I always remove the bolt so I clean the insides of the receiver.

And yes I clean my 22s any time I fire over 50 rounds through them. I don't get to go shoot that often but when I do go I shoot 2-300 rounds.

A village in Kenya called. They want their idiot back.
Old January 10, 2014, 12:57 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Modern times can make old advice less useful..sometimes

Cleaning a rifle from the breech end has two "important" benefits, first, and most widely recognized is removing the risk of muzzle damage from cleaning. Second (and seldom thought of) is it pushes the debris out of, not into the action.

Damage to the muzzle from cleaning rods is today, more legend than reality. Yes, it can still happen, but seldom does. Damage or wearing out the muzzle from cleaning dates back to the era of steel cleaning rods, and the near religious ferver for cleaning that comes from both the history of black powder use, and military training (which also began with black powder).

Steel on steel causes wear. Done sloppily, it makes it worse. Savy shooters, who used steel rods would use a bore guide to protect the muzzle.

Come the era of aluminium & plastic. Softer than steel, can't hurt, right? Wrong. Soft rods can pick up grit, and have it embed in the material, turning your cleaning rod into a potential lapping/grinding tool.

Done right, with anything, cleaning from the muzzle hurts nothing. Done wrong, even with the best tools, damage can result.

As to the 10/22, its your gun, do what you want. I don't think you need a hole in the receiver to clean it, nor, apparently did Ruger.

As an experiment, I didn't clean a Ruger 10/22 for a decade. Many thousands of rounds, no cleaning of the action at all, and only punching a patch down the bore a couple times in all those years.

When I did finally decide to clean it, the rifle was still shooting and functioning in a completely satisfactory fashion. Except where the bolt moved, the entire inside of the receiver was coated with powder residue, 1/4 to 3/8" thick!

Ten years with the only cleaning being wiping out what could be reached through the ejection port, and the rifle running fine the whole time, tells me that you don't need to clean a 10/22 as often as most folks do...
Old January 10, 2014, 03:17 PM   #17
jmr40

You're seriously overthinking this. Clean it from the muzzle once a decade and stop worrying.
Old January 14, 2014, 06:24 PM   #18
Homerboy

I clean my 10/22 every time I shoot it. I like clean guns. And I shoot the erasers off pencils at 50 yards with a Nikon Pro-Staff

Cleaning guns do not hurt them. And I always take the bolt and trigger group out and clean from the muzzle with a nylon rod
Old January 14, 2014, 07:02 PM   #19
Jo6pak

I'll echo others sentiments. I have had my 10/22 since 1992, probably tens of thousands of rounds through it. I think I have disassembled and cleaned it maybe twice.
After each shooting, it gets the barrel and action blasted with Break Free and a few patches run thru the barrel with a nylon rod/jag.

Not saying that cleaning it is bad, or a waste of time. Just that it's not really finicky about cleanliness
Old January 14, 2014, 10:17 PM   #20
James K
Staff

Some rifles, like the FN Model 49, are made with holes in the receiver for just that purpose.

Jim
Old January 14, 2014, 10:28 PM   #21
bcarver

Do it!

That is what makes America great. Men making things better and doing things right.
Old January 15, 2014, 02:45 AM   #22
bedlamite

On my 10/22s I clean out the receiver and trigger regularly, and run a Boresnake with CLP through once.
Old January 15, 2014, 04:18 AM   #23
Old Stony

I clean the suppressor on mine after about every 500 rounds, but the rest...no. If the bolt ever gets to moving too slow, I'll take it apart and clean it.
Old January 15, 2014, 07:33 PM   #24
Singlesix1954

you guys are forgetting the best bonus of drilling the hole. when you shoot then ease your head away from the 10/22 this neat little curl of smoke comes out between the stock and reciever. I have no idea how many rounds it has shot since I got it and drilled it in 1992 but it has been a h377 0f alot.
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old January 15, 2014, 08:10 PM   #25
ParabellumJ

My 10/22 has a Kidd receiver with the cleaning hole drilled from the factory. I haven't used it once. I clean my gun every time I shoot it. I just run a bore snake down the barrel. Cleaning rods are ancient. Don't waste your time with the hole, get a snake or Otis kit.