The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 6, 2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

NY Commissioner of Homeland Security Uses Handgun as Laser Pointer

http://www.timesunion.com/default/ar...#photo-5683948

According to the above news story, Gov. Cuomo's Commissioner of Division of Homeland Security (Hauer) pulled out his handgun to use it as an impromptu laser pointer during a visit by a delegation from Sweden. The story also says he muzzled one of the visiting delegate in the process.

Asked about the incident, Hauer said "You have bad sources" and refused to answer further questions.
Old January 6, 2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I assume he was professional enough to sweep everyone's head with confidence.

Has this hit the main stream media yet? What a hoot!
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old January 6, 2014, 01:48 PM   #3
M1ke10191

I don't really see any issue with his actions...

Now if he had more than 7 rounds in the magazine, then I'd have a serious problem. I mean, think of the children!

And yes, I was being sarcastic about that first sentence. I don't care if you know nothing about guns (trying to give him the benefit of the doubt), you should know better than to point one at someone.
Old January 6, 2014, 02:12 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Wow!

IF accurate, he also broke the law by having his licensed gun where he did. OF course, he might have an exemption. Lots of laws applied to us common folk don't get applied or applied the same way to our "betters".

Still, I have to wonder, $136K a year job, Security/terrorism "expert" doesn't seem aware of how MONUMENTALLY STUPID his "alledged" actions were?
OR worse, doesn't CARE?

If he didn't think about something like this, how are we going to believe he actually thinks about the other decisions he makes, including the official ones that can affect the lives of others in large numbers?

Bet they try really hard to sweep this under the rug...I do like the fact that while the reporter was told he "had bad sources" NO ONE is denying it happened.

Personally, I think this is a little worse than waving your Wiener around on the Internet....unless, of course, it might accidentally go off.....
Old January 6, 2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

I would ask,
  • Why he's licensed to carry a gun in New York City, when such licenses are not generally issued to the public.
  • Why he's carrying a firearm if it isn't part of his official duties.
  • Why he's carrying a firearm in a state building, when that's prohibited by law.
  • Why the matter hasn't been investigated, especially when it involves possible diplomatic consequences.
Old January 6, 2014, 02:45 PM   #6
SC4006

I think this is one of those instances that just deserves a face palm.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math, but what do I know?
Old January 6, 2014, 02:56 PM   #7
Ruger480

Quote:
. I assume he was professional enough to sweep everyone's head with confidence
I hurt my stomach laughing at that one!!

Thank you Glenn. May I have another?
Old January 6, 2014, 03:01 PM   #8
spacecoast

Quote:
I would ask,
Why he's licensed to carry a gun in New York City, when such licenses are not generally issued to the public.
Why he's carrying a firearm if it isn't part of his official duties.
Why he's carrying a firearm in a state building, when that's prohibited by law.
Why the matter hasn't been investigated, especially when it involves possible diplomatic consequences.
Umm... some people are above the law?
Old January 6, 2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Colt46

be interesting to see how this unfolds

I doubt he will be punished even a little bit. If he's an embarrassment to whomever got him his permit then that MIGHT be revoked. But, NYPD and the Mayors Office is so good at telling the public and reporters to eff themselves when called into question- there's your answer.
Old January 7, 2014, 02:05 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

According to the New York Post, Hauer couldn't find a laser pointer, so he used the gun.

Quote:
“In the end, I used the laser gun. Was it the smartest thing in the world do? Absolutely not,” Hauer said.
Not only was it not the smartest thing to do, it wasn't smart at all. He also claimed the gun was empty, which is one of the most frightening assertions in the English language to me.

No mention of his permit being revoked or charges being brought. That's odd.
Old January 7, 2014, 03:41 PM   #11
Doogle

Apparently it was a "B&K 200". Good grief.

Old January 7, 2014, 04:22 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

So, the NY commissioner for Security & Terrorism thinks its a good idea to carry an "empty" gun? SO, if he "forgets" his laser, he can wave the gun around and its ok?

What about the rest of the decisions this guy is making? Especially the official ones? Lack of sound, rational judgment is often an across the board thing.

If he's an idiot about safe gun handling, how much MORE of an idiot is he about the bigger picture things, like, oh, say, security and terrorism?
Old January 7, 2014, 04:49 PM   #13
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
“In the end, I used the laser gun. Was it the smartest thing in the world do? Absolutely not,” Hauer said.
Smartest. That's funny.

The question should have been, "Was it the dumbest thing in the world to do?"

Uh, yeah dude. It was the dumbest thing in the world to do.

But we've come to expect a steady stream of stupidity from our elected representatives, appointees, bureaucrats, etc. So, no surprise here.
Old January 7, 2014, 04:56 PM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
So, the NY commissioner for Security & Terrorism thinks its a good idea to carry an "empty" gun?
I'd wager it's not empty. Empty guns cause all sorts of mayhem.
Old January 7, 2014, 04:58 PM   #15
wogpotter

Quote:
Hauer said he used the gun laser to guide visitors to areas on a map damaged by Hurricane Sandy simply because it was handy.
I just feel sooo much safer knowing this is the mental process being use to work out how to make me feel safe.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 7, 2014, 05:07 PM   #16
Salmoneye

Quote:
Apparently it was a "B&K 200". Good grief.
What is a "B&K 200", and why is that worse than any other gun?
Old January 7, 2014, 05:58 PM   #17
Tom Servo
Staff

I wonder if that's the serial number. Perhaps BNK200?

I've seen stranger data in trace requests.
Old January 7, 2014, 06:01 PM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

H&K 2000 or perhaps it was a Burger King special?

There are also knives and copies with those numbers.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old January 7, 2014, 07:37 PM   #19
Coach Z

This is so incredibly egregious the constituents should really be up in arms. (bad pun)

While NY is busy passing what in my opinion are draconian laws you have officials doing this.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; January 8, 2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Language
Old January 7, 2014, 08:45 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

A re-reading of the article adds insult to injury...

The report states he is not a law enforcement official. Which means its highly unlikely he is armed as a requirement of his position.

Therefore, it appears he is armed because he wishes to be. This is fine, its what we all believe to be our right. He apparently has the political stroke to get a carry permit not only for NYS but NYC as well. These are two separate and non-trivial things.

It may be that he even has a "variance" from the law, allowing him to carry into public buildings and area where others are prohibited. The report was checking on that, but had no evidence when written.

Personally I think charges of brandishing a firearm (and sweeping members of a foreign delegation might allow the addition of "in a threatening manner") ought to be brought.

I'd be ok, personally, if he were charged, in a very public manner, the same as any working class guy would be. Let him off with a slap on the wrist, ok. The publicity would be the real punishment. He didn't hurt anyone or cause a panic, just did a real dumb thing, so huge fine +jail wouldn't be proper.

Get it on the front page, or at least the web, he'll be looking for work, soon...or he should be.
Old January 8, 2014, 02:13 AM   #21
Venom1956

Pssh it'll all be dismissed and swept under the rug. He's a professional nbd.

Just you wait. A parents CCW will dislodge and fall to the ground when he or she dives to save her toddler from danger! Panic ensues! WE MUST GET THESE OFF THE STREET! To our HLS commissioners to point and foreign dignitaries heads!

Just wait tell the news gets ahold of something like that!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old January 8, 2014, 03:50 PM   #22
Ozzieman

Now I totally understand why New York needs the tough gun laws and limiting magazines.
Keep you from shooting back at the New York State commissioner of The Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services
WOW can’t even do gun safety 101. That would give me a good feeling of being secure.

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old January 8, 2014, 06:39 PM   #23
DaleA

Quote:
I'd be ok, personally, if he were charged, in a very public manner
I'd like that. Just like I enjoy every time Joe Biden's admonition to fire a couple shotgun blasts into the air for self defense comes back to bite him.

Like Ted Nugent used to say, he likes it when people say (and maybe do) stupid things...that way everyone knows who the stupid people are.
Old January 15, 2014, 04:39 PM   #24
Buzzcook

Quote:
Like Ted Nugent used to say, he likes it when people say (and maybe do) stupid things...that way everyone knows who the stupid people are.
And people claim irony is dead.
Old January 16, 2014, 04:30 PM   #25
vito

Of course he will suffer no repercussions from his illegal action, unlike the naïve Marine who asked if he could check his gun somewhere when he entered the Empire State Building in New York City. But you must remember that while "all people are equal, some are more equal than others".