The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2014, 06:31 AM   #26
M&P40

Hey bledsoeg19, are you sure about the lifetime warranty on Dan Wesson? I thought it was 5 years
Old January 2, 2014, 02:00 PM   #27
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Not sure about the parts, I know CZ owns Dan Wesson. Best bet would be call them and ask...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 2, 2014, 10:49 PM   #28
bledsoeG19

M&P40, I looked on cz's website and it says five years on handguns. This is weird because I know my friend has one well over ten years old that after several thousands rounds the extractor broke. He called them and they said it was under warranty and offered to replaced it or send him one to do it himself. He's the 2nd owner... posssibly grandfathered in before cz bought the company? I don't know when that was. Maybe just goodwill. I expect that this might happen more often than not. Great company. Great firearm.
Old January 3, 2014, 09:22 AM   #29
9x19

All Dan Wessons were not created equal.

CZ-USA has steadily improved the product... I wouldn't ever own another built before they took over. YMMV
Old January 3, 2014, 07:49 PM   #30
WIN1886

I recently purchased a new Dan Wesson PM-9 ( 1911 chambered for 9mm) and am impressed with the frame to slide fit & overall quality of the pistol ! I have yet to dirty the barrel but hope to soon ! I am leaning on getting another Dan Wesson chambered for .45 acp and or 10mm ( RZ-10) if the funds become available to do so !
Old January 3, 2014, 08:35 PM   #31
James K
Staff

"... loaded with mim parts and won't run with a Kimber."

Seems an odd attitude since IIRC Kimber was one of the first makers to use MIM parts.

At one time, I also had concerns about MIM parts, but whether I have had more experience with them, or they have gotten better, I now believe there is no real difference, and maybe MIM is not only less expensive but better than forged and machined parts.

I am afraid that those who won't buy a gun with MIM parts will soon not buy any new gun.

Jim
Old January 3, 2014, 10:54 PM   #32
Rogervzv

I was blessed to be in a situation where I could pretty much buy any 1911 I wanted.

I chose the Dan Wesson PM-7. To my unsophisticated eye, it was absolutely perfect except for lacking a dot on the front sight, which I corrected by adding a night sight. I liked my PM-7 so much that the next year when the LGS had another one I bought it. Don't ask me why. I don't know why. I just wanted it.

These guns are so accurate and so reliable it is disgusting. They are very tight, but also perfectly machined with numerically controlled machines such that they shoot perfectly from the first magazine.

I love the Dan Wessons 45s. CZ has really done good things with them since they bought Dan Wesson.
Old January 4, 2014, 01:07 AM   #33
Rinspeed

Dan Wessons now days are built much better than Les Baers, I know because I read it on the errornet. Not only that but I've seen a bunch of really nice pictures.
Old January 5, 2014, 12:28 AM   #34
KyJim

Quote:
Dan Wessons now days are built much better than Les Baers, I know because I read it on the errornet. Not only that but I've seen a bunch of really nice pictures.
That's a very debatable point, to say the least. And I am someone who owns five Dan Wessons (and a couple of Baers). They are built with different philosophies and are both excellent pistols.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:44 AM   #35
Peter M. Eick

I agree with you Jim. Different guns, different philosophies. Even though they look alike on the outside, they are different to anyone that owns both.

I could pick up my DW's and rack them in the dark and easily tell them apart from my Baer's. All one would have to do is rack both and it is obvious.
Old January 6, 2014, 03:32 PM   #36
Jayhawkhuntclub

Quote:
Went to my lgs to order one and wasn't so much called a fool for my choice but was questioned heavily why I would want a gun that is so over priced, loaded with mim parts and won't run with a Kimber.
That's like saying a Maserati won't run with a Ford. LGS guys are legendary for misinformation. This seems to be a rule no matter where you are.
Old January 7, 2014, 07:50 AM   #37
geetarman

Win1886,

Good plan. I bought the PM9 first and got the bug for a .45. I got the black Valor. Both guns are very impressive. CZ custom shop has been having quite a bit of trouble getting in any Dan Wessons to sell. You may have a wait before you get what you want.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 7, 2014, 11:35 AM   #38
WIN1886

Quote:
You may have a wait before you get what you want.
I have seen some Heritage and Valor .45 acp models for sale lately but no RZ-10's ! I'm leaning more on the RZ-45 Heritage model due to the lower price ! I really want a RZ-10 for field carry !

2014 CZ catalog claim: No mim parts used in Dan Wesson 1911's !

CZ pistols have a 5 year parts replacement warranty which I'm guessing includes the Dan Wesson line up as well ! I'm going to check my info that came with my PM-9 !
Old January 7, 2014, 02:26 PM   #39
geetarman

I just visited the CZ custom shop and they show no Dan Wessons of any flavor for sale.

You might have some luck doing a broad search on the net and see if anyone has a gun or three for sale.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 8, 2014, 12:48 PM   #40
Madcap_Magician

That's funny right there... Kimber uses LOTS of MIM parts. Is that a bad thing? No, not necessarily, good MIM parts are perfectly fine, and there are bad forged parts, too.

I would generally consider DW to be a better 1911, and only the very top-end Kimbers come close to the base DW guns as far as fit and finish go. They are not as good as the semi-custom shops like Nighthawk, Ed Brown, or Wilson, but DW is top of the production 1911s IMHO.
Old January 8, 2014, 05:24 PM   #41
Tucker 1371

+1

Quote:
Went to my lgs to order one and wasn't so much called a fool for my choice but was questioned heavily why I would want a gun that is so over priced, loaded with mim parts and won't run with a Kimber.
Really? He sounds like a Kimber snob. I'm not bashing all Kimber owners in general but there exists a group of Kimber owners who act as if their guns are infallible, eject 24k gold casings, and were handed to man directly from God. Kimbers are great, but IMHO they're not the best and definitely not worth what they're going for these days. They have MIM hammers, just like DWs, and outside the Kimber snobs' circle of influence, DWs have a much better reputation.
REV. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.