The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2014, 03:01 PM   #26
Carry_24/7

The best thing to do is handle and shoot different models at rental ranges and those owned by friends. Thats how I make my decision on which guns to buy, and I pretty much ended up keeping most of them after I started this practice. If you buy based on verbal and written opinion alone you may be disapointed at the range.

BTW, my Kimber, and those owned by several shooting buddies of mine are flukes too; never had an issue. Never mind all the folks i've shot with running Kimber target models for competition... Yep, all flukes.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:30 PM   #27
Tipsy Mcstagger

I own a kimber hd pro carry II and I also own the lowest model smith. I've shot a kimber tle 2 and springfield milspec, colts and others. I wanted to love my s&w but I've had to send it back for bad slide/frame fit. The trigger and slide/frame/bushing/barrel fit have been astounding on the kimbers and colts I've shot. The only thing I'd change on kimber is the plastic blackstrap.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:55 PM   #28
Deaf Smith

Quote:
I would recommend a Colt maybe one of the XSE models which can be had for around $1000.
As Barry said, I'd recommend a Colt. You can find an almost new one around here, not the fancy XSE ones put pretty good Series 80s and up for $800.

I have 2 Colt Commanders, One made in 1988 and the other 2012 and they are excellent. Feed anything and use any make mag I stick in them.

Deaf
Old January 3, 2014, 07:13 PM   #29
PatientWolf

Of the three listed in the original post, I would pick between the Springfield and the Ruger. I've seen too many used Kimbers with rust on the barrel for it to be coincidence. If you want to consider other brands, Colt and Sig are both available for the price point and are good weapons also.
Old January 3, 2014, 07:16 PM   #30
jimbob86

Quote:
People have been saying "Colts aren't as good as they used to be" since WWII.
That tells me that the pre-WWII colts must be OUTSTANDING..... and judging by the most reliable Arbiter, The Market, they must be, for I have seen exactly none, in any semblance of good repair, for sale for less than one could buy a servicable work truck around here ....

....I have a Colt from the supposed "bad years" ..... and would not sell it for any amount of paper dollars .....

My first 1911 was a cheap filipino slag gun ..... and I still shoot it better than Crunchentickers that list for twice as much .....

http://nefirearm.com/
Old January 3, 2014, 07:20 PM   #31
101combatvet

Damn... can't help you. All I'll own in a 1911 is a Colt.
Competitive Shooter
Old January 3, 2014, 07:23 PM   #32
KyJim

I've purchased two Colts of recent vintage and agree they are high quality guns. I also have a Springfield Loaded that is a fine pistol.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old January 3, 2014, 07:38 PM   #33
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTown
I have been wanting to buy my first auto pistol. All I own is revolvers. I have been looking at all models and I am set on the 1911 no other will do. My budget is around $1,000.... Not over.. So don't suggest anything like a Wilson Combat just to talk about the one you may have. I've got it narrowed down to the Ruger SR1911, the Springfield 1911 loaded, and the Kimber Custom 2. All possible pros and cons are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.
The 1911 market is in a state of continual flux so unless I've owned it, shot it a lot or worked on it in the last couple of years, I'm reluctant to comment on specific models. I can offer a few general opinions though.

Colt 1991A1's, with the exception of the Officer sized guns, have been very good in my experience. Springfields are OK -but watch the barrels on anything but their top notch guns or just plan on replacing them and include that in the overall cost. I personally avoid anything with the Swartz safety (grip safety activated firing pin block) because they are fragile.

Lower priced- I've rebuilt an Auto Ordnance or three and I don't really want anymore of them. They use poor internals and this is a shame because the WWII is about the closest thing to the GI blueprint that you're going to find. Rock Island is building excellent budget 1911's these days and if you have any gremlins, they'll take care of them ASAP. I hear good things about the High Standard, Regent and Tisas pistols from people I trust. But I know the Rocks are pretty good.
Old January 3, 2014, 09:07 PM   #34
Tipsy Mcstagger

I know what you mean about kimber and barrel rust. I've seen some powdery surface rust on some and when I purchased mine, the dealer told me to keep the barrel lubed, even externally, as it was carbon steel and prone to rusting.
Old January 4, 2014, 05:25 PM   #35
Carry_24/7

I have never seen rust form on the barrel of a properly cared for weapon. Only on the internet have I heard of someone receiving a rust free weapon, later discovering rust has formed, and the rust being attributed to anything other than the current owner neglecting to properly care for the weapon...I have never heard such a statement from someone's mouth.

If any of you spent any time in the military, you worked alongside "that guy" (or maybe some of you were that guy) who always neglected their weapon; rust on the barrel, rust on the front site post, etc...then you look at yours and it's perfect. It's called preventive maintenance. Some of you probably remember reporting to a new unit and being issued the rusty M-16 or M-4 formerly issued to "that guy" who rotated out....but with some love and care, it never showed another spot of rust in the next 2-3 years you had it...how'd that happen??? Your average E-1 has no idea what their weapon is made out of, but with proper care...magically there's no rust.

I've worked for a few salty E-7s that would probably get a kick out of the concept though.
Old January 5, 2014, 12:12 AM   #36
Fishbed77

Quote:
People have been saying "Colts aren't as good as they used to be" since WWII.
Whoever said that was flat-out wrong (or was trying to intentionally mislead you).

The simple fact is, that due to Colt's recent heavy investment in some hi-tech CNC milling equipment, combined with a higher degree of hand-fitting than most mass-produced 1911s receive, today's Colt 1911s are some of the best the company has produced in their entire history.
Old January 5, 2014, 12:21 AM   #37
LockedBreech

I think there's at least some degree of some truth to the statement that Colt 1911s have had some quality control hiccups in the last decade. That said, I handled a Colt stainless government model at the LGS about 3 weeks ago and it was a fine 1911. The machining was excellent. Are there better 1911s out there? Certainly. I think Dan Wesson and Wilson, to pick a few out of a hat, make some very refined 1911s, but at the $800-1000 point I'd be proud to own a current-production Colt.
Beretta PX4 .40 S&W - Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para - Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP - Colt 1968 Detective Special .38 Spc. - Ruger LCP .380 ACP - Daniel Defense M4V1 Carbine 5.56x45 - Alpine Industries M1 Carbine .30 - Steyr-Mannlicher M1895 8x56 - Ruger 10/22 .22LR - Remington 870 Express Tactical 12GA - 1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R
Old January 5, 2014, 12:22 AM   #38
KyJim

Quote:
I have never seen rust form on the barrel of a properly cared for weapon. Only on the internet have I heard of someone receiving a rust free weapon, later discovering rust has formed, and the rust being attributed to anything other than the current owner neglecting to properly care for the weapon...I have never heard such a statement from someone's mouth.
I'll just point out that Kimber uses "in the white" carbon steel barrels -- no bluing, no parkerizing, no coating or treatment of any type. While a coating of rust preventive will help, it's no guarantee.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old January 5, 2014, 10:03 AM   #39
filthy phil

Range officers park'd finish will look like hell quickly if not handled carefully.
Id look at their stainless guns if I was stuck on springfield

You say "racism"
I say ethnic awareness
Old January 5, 2014, 10:28 AM   #40
915A

I own and love my Ruger SR1911, but one I haven't seen mentioned yet is an Sig. I have a Nightmare Carry and love it. But I'm sure of the 3 you mentioned, you couldn't go wrong with any of them. Because the truth is, you're going to get another 1911 because they are like Pringles lol!
Old January 5, 2014, 02:12 PM   #41
filthy phil

^Ĺ·eah I have a sig tacpac
Very accurate even with tula. Great value for $800

You say "racism"
I say ethnic awareness
Old January 5, 2014, 05:47 PM   #42
Urban_Redneck

Colt or Springfield.

I've had a Range Officer nearly two years, I've fired 1500 or so rounds through it thus far, and carry it IWB a few times a month. I'd buy another if I lost this one.

I expect I'd feel the same about a Colt.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:06 PM   #43
uradaisyifudo

I own neither (presently) but have shot both the ruger and the range officer and have found both to be excellent shooters. I doubt you will be disappointed with either. That said they are different, how will you use it? If you want to shoot match, the range officer is probably better suited, as that is the intended use. The ruger shoots well, ruger is known for customer service and the finish may hold up better over time. That said, if you find a colt you like, for the right price it would be hard to feel bad about owning a colt 1911, but what colt I don't have enough experience to say, I prefer their full size offerings, but not for carry.
Old January 6, 2014, 05:36 AM   #44
mellow_c

If I were in the market for a new 1911 right now, in a price range under $1000. I'd jump all over the Ruger SR1911. I dont have any experience with them. But I love the way they look, they have gotten great reviews, I have yet to hear anything bad about them, and they are a great price.
I'll admit I'm making an assumption here, but I believe they are the best 1911 for the money available right now.
Old January 6, 2014, 05:44 PM   #45
Fishbed77

Quote:
If I were in the market for a new 1911 right now, in a price range under $1000. I'd jump all over the Ruger SR1911. I dont have any experience with them. But I love the way they look, they have gotten great reviews, I have yet to hear anything bad about them, and they are a great price.
I'll admit I'm making an assumption here, but I believe they are the best 1911 for the money available right now.
There have been issues with the SR1911, including reports of poorly rifled barrels and front sights breaking off due to poor metallurgy.

That said, they are nice pistols, but I wouldn't call them "the best 1911" for the money, considering that the excellent STI Spartan occupies the same price range, the forged Springfield Loaded and Range Officer models only run about $100-150 more, and the forged, US-made Colts can be found for right at $1000.

No matter what some folks say, that rampant pony rollmark does have value, in the form of experience, materials used, customer service, and resale value.
Old January 6, 2014, 05:57 PM   #46
WVsig

Do you have a lot of trigger time on 1911s? If you don't I am going to throw you a curve ball. Everyone these days runs out and buys a production gun like the ones you have chosen without ever shooting a basic close to stock 1911. I personally think this is putting the cart before the horse. Get yourself a plain jane 80 or 70 series Colt like this one.

Shoot the crap out of it. Once you have some trigger time on a stock gun you can then choose to customize it or pick up a semi-custom built to your spec based on shooting the stock platform.

Too many people these days assume they need all the extras that used to come on custom guns. Most shooters simply don't. If you decide later that you want a production gun like the ones you mention then go for it from an educated perspective and keep your stock 1911 as a point of reference.
Old January 6, 2014, 06:25 PM   #47
crashxl

^ this!
Old January 7, 2014, 02:06 AM   #48
mellow_c

Hmmm... I was under the impression that the Ruger was built from higher quality parts, including the frame and slide. I guess they use the same bar stock of stainless steel for the slide, frame, barrel, and bushing... Is that correct?

I think I will retract my presumptuous opinion of the SR1911 being the best for the money... and allow the more educated to have at it.

I still like the Ruger though, and could see myself buying one. If I ever do, I'll just hope I end up with a nice one... But then again, it's easy to start thinking what I could get for a few hundred more.

Good thing I skipped all that mess from the get go and bought myself a Dan Wesson Valor. I don't think there is any chance I'll ever be able to wear that thing out. It's the smoothest, nicest, cleanest, and most accurate handgun I've ever owned or shot.

Maybe for $1,000 one of the new Colts would be the way to go.
After looking them all over, I think I'd happily spend my money on the 1991 series.

Last edited by mellow_c; January 7, 2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old January 7, 2014, 06:16 AM   #49
PatientWolf

The SR1911's frame is cast SS, I don't know the slide material, but assume it is billet, the sights they had trouble with are MIM, if I understand correctly, but Ruger is standing behind them and from what I've seen, has replaced all those that failed under warranty. When you consider the cost of the SR 1911 (can be found around here for $560+tax) I think it is a good value for the price point and with Ruger standing behind it, I wouldn't be afraid to buy one, though I'd probably replace the sights with Night sights and avoid the sight issues.
Old January 7, 2014, 06:48 AM   #50
MJFlores

Mellow, I think you were spot on...The Ruger SR-1911 is the best value in the 1911 market. I mean seriously...for roughly $650 (sometime a bit less, sometimes a bit more) you get a full stainless steel 1911 made by Ruger in Arizona USA by one of the leading firearms makers in our country. You get Ruger's excellent machining, matched barrel and bushing, excellent barrel, titanium firing pin...the gun would be over a grand if marketed by anyone else. The SR has some really nice upgrades like the grip safety, hammer, and trigger without stuff you don't need. It's just a fantastic package that really cant be beat at it's price point. Anyone who argues this just has something against Ruger but that's ok,...there are plenty of other 1911's out there for them also.

I will note the common complaint about the front site breaking off. Out of all the ones sold by Ruger, the problem has happened on relatively few of the pistols. Ruger stands behind the problem and repairs it. It sucks to have a problem but at least you'll be taken care of if it ever happens. Don't forget, Colt experienced the same exact issue years back but nobody seems to remember that or hold it against them. It shouldn't be held against Ruger either, they used a really nice set of sites which most people really like.