The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Keep the Tomcat 8 18.60%
Buy the CZ 82 35 81.40%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 2, 2014, 02:07 AM   #1
JimmyR

Beretta Tomcat vs CZ 82

Ok folks, need some input.

I have found a CZ 82 for sale with 2 mags for $250 here locally. The pictures show some finish wear, but no more than to be expected. I already own a Bulgarian Makarov, and can get 9x18 ammo pretty easily.

I am thinking about selling my Beretta Tomcat to generate/replace the funds for this purchase. It is the blued version, and is not the wide slide, but has no damage to the frame. I like the gun, but don't shoot it very well, and don't carry it often.

Assuming keeping both is not an option, what would you do in my position?
Old January 2, 2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Tomac

I carried a Tomcat for years as my deep CCW/BUG and never had a problem.
However, they're well-known for cracked frames so I'd go for the CZ if for no other reason than longevity of the pistol.
Tomac
Old January 2, 2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

I had one of the early Tomcats, and several problems.... It was eventually replaced by Beretta. After it was replace, had the slide come off the rails at the range. Had to drive it back on with a rubber mallet.

I continue to LIKE the concept, but not the execution. of the Tomact design. After the problem with the slide, I had the gun checked out by my gunsmith, who said it seemed OK. I then traded it to the dealer from whom I bought it.

The CZ-82 is a fine weapon, but a good bit bigger (and more powerful.) You won't pocket carry a CZ-82 (or similar 83), but they are accurate and reliable.
Old January 2, 2014, 10:01 PM   #4
Hurryin' Hoosier

There is no comparison. Although most Berettas are fine guns, the Tomcat (and the Bobcat) are jokes. The Česká zbrojovka vz.82 is absolutely the Cadillac of 9X18 handguns. (And, contrary to what some folks think, I find mine to be quite "pocketable" when wearing cargo pants or shorts. When wearing jeans or dress pants, I usually carry my Polish P-64 "CZAK" or my ČZ vz.70. And always in a Robert Mika pocket holster)

Last edited by Hurryin' Hoosier; January 2, 2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old January 2, 2014, 10:26 PM   #5
CWKahrFan

I absolutely LOVE my CZ82... It's refurbished and very nice looking as well as ergonomically perfect for my grip... and ultra-reliable... One of my very favorite guns!

I've never shot or even held a Tomcat...

Are you aware that the CZ82 is TWICE as heavy as the Tomcat?... like 14.5 oz. vs. about 29 oz... (And also about TWICE as powerful, "ballpark" IMO...Well, you know, since you already have a Makarov).
Old January 3, 2014, 12:20 AM   #6
JimmyR

I am very aware that the guns are very different, and would not be serving the same purpose. The Tomcat is an infrequent pocket pistol for me, playing second fiddle to my S&W 642 for pocket duty. This would be a shooter/CC piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill
I continue to LIKE the concept, but not the execution. of the Tomact design.
I think this is one of the biggest hurdles to trading the pistol, is the uniqueness of it's design. I've got two others in that genre (Beretta Minx 950B 2" and 950BS 4"), so I won't miss it too much, i don't think.

ETA: I'm seeing votes for keeping the Tomcat, but no comments. I'd love it if people would give some logic behind that suggestion. I know my reasons why I'd want to keep it, but I'd love others.
Old January 3, 2014, 08:45 AM   #7
Walt Sherrill

If I just HAD to have a pocket .32 acp pistol, I'd go with the Kel-Tec P32. It's one K-T gun that you hear almost no complaints about, and it's far more pleasant to shoot than many K-T guns. (As noted above, I've had a Tomcat; two, actually. No more.)

I've had a number of K-T guns, and all were reliable weapons for me, but with the exception of the Sub2000 (9mm), they've never grown on me, and I found most difficult to shoot well, or rapidly. For me there were better guns, but I've never had the problems with durability that you often hear complaints about on the 'net.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:37 PM   #8
Guv

I voted to keep it, my problem with it is my hand is a little to big to get a quick and consistent grip. I had 2 and experienced a problem with one of them and sent it back to Beretta with complete satisfaction on it's warrantied repair. The top part of the trigger stirrup on one side broke off, this one was a display model and I wondered if some one had tried pulling the trigger really hard just to find the safety still on. Very accurate and never any feeding issues, just a little to small for me, nice looking little gun.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:41 PM   #9
Guv

My buddy has a CZ 82 and I really like that gun but it is in a different class than the Tomcat, much bigger and heavier. I would love to have one for a trail gun while hunting and such.
Old January 4, 2014, 05:23 AM   #10
cocojo

Keep the tomcat they are great pistols. I own a wide slide blue and I'm buying a used Inox today. I do like the Kel tec 32 also. I would not sell or trade that tomcat in. Women just take to the tip barrel design for ease of use. So if you have a little lady give it to her. Tomcat fly off the shelves when they are in gun shops. They are so hard to find it's ridiculous and Beretta might discontinue the Bobcat and the Tomcat design. Tomcats are in the $400.00 or more range right now for new and $350.00 range for used. CZ's are available anytime, tomcats are not.

Last edited by cocojo; January 4, 2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old January 4, 2014, 06:10 AM   #11
JERRYS.

a lot depends upon the gun's use, your personal orbits, and what else you have for different situations.

if its going to be the only gun you own get the CZ. if its going to be the only handgun you own, get the CZ.

if you have a bigger handgun, rifle, or shotgun for home defense and have relatively tame orbits and need a ccw piece either will work but you have to weigh the odds...
Old January 12, 2014, 04:10 AM   #12
JimmyR

Picked up my 82 today. I can't wait to take it to the range! I'm really surprised about how good it feels in my hand. Thanks for the opinions, guys and gals.