The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 31, 2013, 10:06 PM   #151
Uncle Malice

Quote:
My guess is that this gun is aimed at the same market the Ruger built the LC380 for.

In other words, it's not targeted to compete with the ultra-small pocket pistols but rather is intended to provide a viable option for people who:

1. Don't want to go all the way down to a .32ACP caliber for self-defense.
2. Don't want to buy a fullsized pistol.
3. Have trouble dealing with the recoil that a subcompact 9mm or a micro .380ACP can dish out.
4. Have trouble racking the slide.

We don't talk about that market much on TFL since we're all accomplished pistoleers who never blink an eye at recoil, have issues with the grip-size on a full-size double-column service pistol, or find that tiny pistols are hard to shoot well. But in the real world there are a number of people who have real issues either due to age or health concerns that make it difficult for them to rack a slide and/or make them very recoil sensitive.
I think that's exactly right. My wife likes shooting my Glock 19 well enough, but she still flinches pretty hard even with 9mm. It might might not be a bad option to buy for her. Ammo cost won't be a huge deal because she wouldn't shoot it much anyways... and it could be her own dedicated gun. Hrm... got me thinking now....
Old December 31, 2013, 10:37 PM   #152
Uncle Malice

Here's a new write up in Guns & Ammo about the Glock 42. More photos and info. Check it out.

http://imgur.com/a/ZUiuZ
Old January 1, 2014, 12:20 AM   #153
Pico

Looks like it's official

Any guess on the price? I would think $50 less than a standard Glock.

Pico
Old January 1, 2014, 01:00 AM   #154
SHE3PDOG

MSRP is 475 according to the Guns & Ammo article, but I'm betting you'll be able to find it for around 400.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old January 1, 2014, 10:34 AM   #155
DarthPete

I would expect being only 1.8oz lighter (albeit, longer and taller) than the P238 that recoil should be pretty low for the G42. Which may have been their goal making it bigger than a lot of other .380's on the market. I carried an LCP for years before deciding the slight increase of size and weight of the P238 is a fair trade off for the shootability. And when I was packing up my LCP gear it really struck me how much additional stuff I'd invested in to make it more shootable/accurate.

I wouldn't call it late to the game necessarily. Pocket .380's are an established market at this point and I would think (hope) they looked at what people liked and didn't like about the current offerings and felt this was the best balance.

I do wonder if starting with a slim .380 is them testing the waters for the single stack pocket concealment market before moving on to a 9mm. Or maybe they were concerned about a 9mm cutting into their G26 sales?

Any road, it is nice to see something wholly new come out from Glock. Even if it's not quite what people have been clamoring for. A sign of more new pieces to come in the future, instead of half hearted back straps and swapping slides around.

For a .380 though, I'm sticking with my P238 for the foreseeable future.
Old January 1, 2014, 04:17 PM   #156
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by whip1
For starters, there's the Ruger LC9 that is just fractionally bigger
Having pocket carried an LCP for about three years now, I borrowed an LC9 for two weeks from a friend and I am comfortable saying that, for pocket carry at least, there is nothing fractional about it. On paper the LC9 is barely bigger. In daily pocket carry there is a seriously noticeable difference.

For reference, I carried both in Desantis Nemesis right front pocket holsters of Carthartt and Wrangler 20X jeans. I am 6'5" and 265 pounds.

I agree that the small 9s are the current wave, not the small .380s, but the small .380s are still appreciably smaller, with the exception of maybe the Rohrbaugh R9 and Boberg XR9.
Beretta PX4 .40 S&W - Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para - Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP - Colt 1968 Detective Special .38 Spc. - Ruger LCP .380 ACP - Daniel Defense M4V1 Carbine 5.56x45 - Alpine Industries M1 Carbine .30 - Steyr-Mannlicher M1895 8x56 - Ruger 10/22 .22LR - Remington 870 Express Tactical 12GA - 1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R
Old January 1, 2014, 10:28 PM   #157
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I'm going to have to see it. BTW, the link didn't work directly. Had to use the cached version.

I wish it was a 9! Oh, well.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old January 1, 2014, 10:50 PM   #158
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I'm going to have to see it. BTW, the link didn't work directly. Had to use the cached version.
Aww... looks like the owner removed the gallery! Bummer.
Old January 2, 2014, 11:19 AM   #159
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Michael Bane is saying that he will discuss the new Glock 380 on his shows.

So that's it. It is true. Oh, the 9 - will it happen? In my lifetime?

BTW, is the gun blowback? I didn't check.

PS - nice comparison of the smaller semis:

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...vealed-ho-hum/

The reliability issue seems to be the biggest plus for the Glock.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; January 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 02:50 PM   #160
Bart Noir

Quote:
Any road, it is nice to see something wholly new come out from Glock.
If the history at Ruger is any guide, than this must be a subtle hint that Gaston has passed away!

Although the exec's might be pretending he is alive, for tax purposes.

Bart Noir
Old January 4, 2014, 09:27 AM   #161
Uncle Malice

Glock has posted a video of the 42 to their YouTube channel:

Watch it here:

http://youtu.be/i8C5Y4r5FDk
Old January 4, 2014, 10:59 AM   #162
Billy Shears

I watched the video. It raises a question in my mind:

This pistol is noticably larger than the micro 380s on the market now: the LCP, P3AT, P380, P238, Mustang, etc.

Seems to be closer in size to the LC380, (or PPK/S or Colt Govt 380; nearly, but not quite, the size of a Beretta Cheetah.)

And like those pistols, it "appears" to be larger than I would want to carry concealed in my jeans pocket.

And yet it's only a 6+1 capacity.

I've actually been excited about this release up to this very moment, but 6+1 of .380 in a handgun too large to slip into my pocket...I just don't see any need for that. I'm sure others will have different requirements, but I'll probably stick with the LCP.

Of course maybe the video didn't give me an accurate perspective of the pistol's size and it's really smaller than it appears. I hope so.
Old January 4, 2014, 01:25 PM   #163
Uncle Malice

You are correct. It is closer in size to the LC380. It's not designed as one of the ultralight pocket guns such as the LCP.

While I don't personally have a use for it, I think it would do well for my wife who is able to shoot my Glock 19 okay, but she doesn't really enjoy it. She is pretty recoil sensitive. I think she might actually enjoy shooting this one. While it may not be ideal, anything that she enjoys is going to be better than making something work that she doesn't necessarily enjoy.
Old January 4, 2014, 01:48 PM   #164
el_chupo_

It seems that many here are focused on this gun meeting the needs of their chose carry style, which is generally pocket for a LCP/similar sized guns, or the new trend in micro-9mm.

This gun:

A) Gets Glock into the single stack market
B) is in a valid US market SD caliber
C) should lend itself to familiarity with the product line
D) should be much easier to shoot for those recoil sensitive to a micro 9mm
E) Should appeal to a growing number of females looking to carry, based on size, shootability, weight, etc.

Remember, a shield is a half a pound heavier, unloaded...

This isnt the end-all for what a lot of us are looking for. But "a lot of us" are probably a pretty small number vs. those that go to a gun shop/show, and buy a gun, then toss it in their chosen method of carry after half a box of ammo...

The LC380 proves that this size/type of gun is not a bad idea, and hopefully it leads to some more suitable for what many of us are looking for.

Edit - Seems Malice and I are thinking on the same lines here...
Old January 4, 2014, 02:17 PM   #165
ATW525

Personally, I like it. I don't really have a use for it, but I could see myself purchasing one "just because".
Old January 4, 2014, 02:18 PM   #166
tahunua001

donning flame suit

please forgive me, but I don't understand all the hype.
it's a glock, it is identical to all other glocks which are all identical to each other but with slightly different dimensions and in a slightly smaller, but more expensive version of 9mm.

they are the last ones to the game. S&W, Ruger and Springfield have all released similar guns with similar dimensions for the same purpose already. most of them saw problems in some fashion from production and it is likely that the glock 42 will be no exception. at least the LCP and XDS had noticable differences from the service sized counterparts, the LCP being a completely different design.

I know I am stepping on a lot of toes here but am I the only person that notices that Glock is a one trick pony? all of their guns look the same and have since the first generation glocks rolled out. along the way they've picked up rails and slight finger grooves in the grips and with the gen 4 backstraps but apparently the 42 doesn't even have those. I can't help but start yawning whenever someone talks about a new product coming from glock because in the end, it's the same package with a different sized box.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old January 4, 2014, 03:06 PM   #167
SHE3PDOG

From a marketing stand point, it doesn't really matter if they're a one trick pony if their products are still selling very well decades after the original design. There is also something to be said for keeping a sense of familiarity with their products regardless of which one their consumer picks up.

On the other hand, it'd be nice to see them branch out from only producing handguns. They do seem to be completely ignorant of the wants of their consumers though, so maybe the above argument is void.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old January 4, 2014, 03:23 PM   #168
JackDRipper

There's a 3 page article on the Glock 42 in the new February issue of Guns & Ammo Magazine.
The author liked the G42 because it is a .380 that isn't too small to shoot!
Glock 42 specs listed:
5.94 in. long,
4.13 in. tall,
.836 in. wide,
13.4 oz. empty.
Comparing to my Glock 36:
6.96 in. long,
4.76 in. tall,
1.10 in. wide,
22.42 oz. empty
Not sure I'll drop down to a .380 for that small size difference.
JR
Old January 4, 2014, 10:11 PM   #169
Billy Shears

Quote:
D) should be much easier to shoot for those recoil sensitive to a micro 9mm

I think that remains to be seen.

Any engineers here want to calculate whether a 13 ounce single stack 380 generates less recoil [or less perceived palm slap] than a 26 ounce double stack 9mm?

I'm still eager to see and handle the G42. I just don't know, based on all I've read and heard so far, what I would use one for..and this is from a guy who has over 7,000 rounds of 380 range ammo in the safe waiting for something interesting to shoot it from.
Old January 4, 2014, 10:21 PM   #170
TxFlyFish

It's foolish to market a larger package because it will allow better grip and softer recoil. most folks don't even shoot the gun before purchasing. Of the one range footage I've seen it doesn't control muzzle flip particularly well
Old January 5, 2014, 03:34 AM   #171
LockedBreech

New line of Glock pistols

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua001 View Post

I know I am stepping on a lot of toes here but am I the only person that notices that Glock is a one trick pony? all of their guns look the same and have since the first generation glocks rolled out. along the way they've picked up rails and slight finger grooves in the grips and with the gen 4 backstraps but apparently the 42 doesn't even have those. I can't help but start yawning whenever someone talks about a new product coming from glock because in the end, it's the same package with a different sized box.

Your very critique partially explains the runaway success of Glock. For the most part, government agencies don't give a rip about novelty of design or uniqueness. We, the shooting community, are the only ones who care about that. A massive number of the folks who are in charge of LE provisioning order a pistol the same way they order a stapler. They choose the Swingline/Glock because it is familiar, and the vast majority of the time it runs. In my brother's department, very few of the officers are gun guys, but their G22s run without complaint and are readily maintained/accessorized, so they like them quite a lot.

In other words, for most professional end users, an ounce of predictability is worth ten pounds of novelty. A one-trick pony is prized if it performs that trick well and affordably.
Old January 5, 2014, 09:04 AM   #172
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Shears
Any engineers here want to calculate whether a 13 ounce single stack 380 generates less recoil [or less perceived palm slap] than a 26 ounce double stack 9mm?
No engineer needed... we've got the internet for that.

Both at approximate Hodgdon listed max speeds

90gr .380ACP @ 1000fps:
First shot at 16oz, last at 13oz
Recoil Impulse 0.48 0.48
Recoil Velocity 15.43 19.29
Free Recoil Energy 3.70 4.62

125gr 9mm @ 1150fps:
First shot at 26oz last at 21oz
Recoil Impulse 0.73 0.73
Recoil Velocity 13.37 17.82
Free Recoil Energy 4.86 6.47

Those recoil velocities are pretty nasty. Getting over about 10fps starts to feel more and more like a sharp snap rather than a pushing motion. Also remember that a small .380 has probably 2/3s the surface area on your hand compared to the mid-sized 9mm. That means those energy numbers would (roughly) feel more like 5 and 7, respectively.

So, probably not a lot of difference but I'd bet the .380 would be worse rather than better. Of course, you'd have to have data from the correct barrel lengths to get really numbers. I doubt it's too far off though.
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old January 5, 2014, 09:44 AM   #173
ATW525

Quote:
I'm not sure I would consider a 26 ounce double stack to be a "micro 9mm".
Old January 5, 2014, 10:41 AM   #174
glove

Guess I will have to wait for the 9mm G-43
anyway.
Old January 5, 2014, 10:56 AM   #175
Billy Shears

Thanks, Brian. Interesting numbers.

ATW, you are right. Not a micro. I had in mind the G19. Both here and on other discussion boards I frequent and in conversation with friends I've heard folks say something to the effect that "My wife doesn't like to fire my G19, so this should be perfect." I've been curious because I don't necessarily think it will be. Brian's numbers posted above seem to bear that out, but I guess we have to wait til they hit the shelves before we know for sure.