The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 1, 2013, 11:21 PM   #1
pgdion

Finally got my .40 S&W

I finally got my .40 S&W, the winner is (drum roll please) .... the Cougar.

I was leaning towards the Magnum Research MR40 but after looking it over again, I wasn't 100% sold on it. I liked the idea of having a gun from my home state but between the poly, the striker, and the slide fit (the .40 looked good but the 9mm next to it looked a little off) I wasn't quite sold. The fit and finish on the Cougar on the other hand is fantastic and it had all the features I wanted, metal frame, hammer fired, DA/SA trigger.

The runner up was the FNX40, I really like that gun too (maybe some day). The FNX is a nice gun but the Cougar has a better grip and comes in almost $200 less.

Here's the kicker, if you want a Cougar, you may want to look now. The price tag on the gun was $469 at Gander. Seemed high but the .40 does have the rail now and that did add about $40 to the .45 before. I decided to pick it up and am glad I did. The register didn't ring $469, it rang up at $549. Gander adjusted the price for me without issue of course but it looks like the price has gone up and I was lucky that the old tag was still in the case.

I sure love the new Cougar, glass smooth operation. Can't wait to get out and shoot it! I'll post a review in the future comparing the 9mm Cougar to the 40.
Old December 2, 2013, 01:08 AM   #2
bt380

Sounds great. Congrats!!! Keep us posted on how it went at the range.
Old December 2, 2013, 02:04 AM   #3
LockedBreech

Finally got my .40 S&W

The Cougar is a great .40 option, designed around the cartridge. Enjoy!
Old January 2, 2014, 06:58 PM   #4
pgdion

Finally got to the range a couple of times to try the new Cougar out. Just a couple hundred rounds so far but the overall review can be summed up as Awesome!

I dropped the first magazine into the gun and with the first firing I fell in love with this gun and the round. Not nasty, harsh, or 'snappy' ... just a good strong push for recoil. We shot 165gr WWB and 180gr Federal bulk ammo. Both felt comparable, shot accurately, and we had zero issues in two outings. Three of us have shot the gun so far and everyone likes it a lot. Two thumbs up from all shooters.

I took two guns with for comparison, the 9mm Cougar to see how it compares to the 40s&w, and the 92FS as it is always my gold standard. I found the new Cougar to fall in exactly where I was hoping, similar to the others with just more push. The 92FS was still the all around smooth shooting winner with the 9mm Cougar being a bit more harsh but still very good. The 40 Cougar had the smoothness of the 92 but with more force. I'd call it a truely awesome shooting experience. Basically it's what I was trying to dial in with the .45 auto but could never quite get just right. I think this may be the most fun gun I own. I still want to compare it to the PX4 ... if I can just get my father in law to take his out and actually shoot it some time. ;-).

A couple of extra comments on the Cougar,
The finish on the gun is good. This one has a brushed look to the slide where as my older 9mm has a smooth satin look to it. The slide and barrel operation on this one is glass smooth as with the first. Probably the smoothest actions I have (along with the 92FS). When I was first looking it over, the serations on the slide seemed a bit sharp (edgier than my first Cougar). In actual use however I did not notice this, each time I racked the slide I didn't notice any roughness at all. Another plus with the Cougar is they still come with 2 magazines (as every gun should). There is one more noteworthy item. It used to be only the .45acp version came with a rail on it. I believe all versions come with a rail now ( at least the option is available). I'm not a big fan of rails on pistols, but as my other Cougar does not have one, I kind of like it as it makes the two guns a little bit different. Of course if you're a fan of rails, then it's good news.
Old January 2, 2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Guv

Good Man, nice gun. Didn't Beretta initially design the Cougar?
Old January 2, 2014, 07:11 PM   #6
CWKahrFan

I've noticed a lot of good-value-for-the-price praise regarding the Cougar all over the net... Congrats!
I'm a big .40 fan too...

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!
Old January 2, 2014, 11:11 PM   #7
pgdion

Hi Guv, yes they did. My understanding is they designed it but it didn't sell well because it was to expensive. They pulled it and replaced it with the more 'updated' poly frame PX4. Rather than killing the Cougar though, they moved it to Stoger in Turkey which brought the price down. That's the story I've heard. Whatever, I'm sure glad they didn't kill it.

Last edited by pgdion; January 3, 2014 at 12:04 AM.