The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 26, 2013, 05:43 PM   #51
larryf1952

My most egregious offender was a Browning BDA 380. Now, there are many things that I don't do well. But, I am a decent pistol shot.

In any case, I so very badly wanted to love the little BDA. It was such a beautiful, well made gun, and it felt so good in hand. But, I could not get that gun to group tighter than 4" or 5" at 10 yards. I tried my own reloads and any number of factory loads. It made no difference. I could easily shoot rings around it with my Interarms PPK/s and my $180 Bersa.

Much to my chagrin, I finally sold it out of frustration.

I also had a Smith 4" model 25-5 that did pretty much the same thing, with the same end result.

BTW...I own a Kahr CW9 and CW45, and they are excellent shooters...especially the 9. I have been completely surprised at the accuracy potential of that little gun. I took it out of the box and began shooting it...no cleanup, no 200 round breakin period. I went 800 rounds before I finally detail stripped it. It sure was dirty, but it had not malfunctioned a single time. Believe it, or don't...
Old December 27, 2013, 07:40 AM   #52
hodaka

I must agree with the Gen II Glock 17 crowd. I've had mine for about 20 years. It is reliable but a paper plate at 20 yds is about as good as it has ever done. I have a box of pistols that will outshoot it. I keep meaning to replace the barrel with but have not gotten around to it yet.
Old December 27, 2013, 11:24 AM   #53
KyJim

I owned a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 with a three inch barrel that shot 14-18 inches low at seven yards. I don't know how low it was at further distances because I never bothered to try. It was completely reliable with the loads I tried in it, including a couple of hollow point loads. I just couldn't get past the inaccuracy of it, though, and traded it toward another gun.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old December 27, 2013, 11:31 AM   #54
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952
...I so very badly wanted to love the little BDA. It was such a beautiful, well made gun, and it felt so good in hand. But, I could not get that gun to group tighter than 4" or 5" at 10 yards. I tried my own reloads and any number of factory loads. It made no difference. I could easily shoot rings around it with my Interarms PPK/s and my $180 Bersa.
I've regrettably not shot a BDA, but I'm a big fan of the very similar Beretta Series 81 aka Cheetah, and its equivalent to the BDA, the 84.

I've yet to meet an 84/85 with which I couldn't shoot a ~2" group @ 10yds, with several holes touching, offhand, the first time I picked up the gun. This generally includes the DA first shot, although not always. These guns just rub me the right way.

Perfect example of how certain guns just don't work for some people. (Mine is the SIG Sauer P226.)
Old December 27, 2013, 11:15 PM   #55
DLeeHarley

You know I would like to say everyone who talks crap about M&P's are full of it, but way too many seem to have the same problems with them. Like most the trigger on my M&P full size. 40 was really gritty. But after about 500 dry fires and about the same amount of rounds down range, I think it's very good now. Not like my 1911, but very good none the less. As for accuracy, it's been under 3.5" @ 25yds from the get go. I really like my. 40 a lot and to date No ftf, fte and no other problems. I wouldn't put in an Apex kit because this is my everyday carry and I don't need any lawyers or prosecutors giving me grief for screwing with my weapon. YMMV. Later all & Everyone have a Happy New Year!

Dennis in Idaho
"Those who talk, don't do. Those who do, don't Talk!"
Old January 2, 2014, 06:36 PM   #56
jolly roger

Hmm...my M&P 45 Compact is very close behind my Sig 220 Stainless...and that is CRAZY accurate. On the other hand never seen a 40 Glock shoot worth a whole lot. It'll get the job done but not seriously accurate.
Old January 2, 2014, 07:27 PM   #57
5whiskey

Most inaccurate pistol??? All of the pistols that I own are actually pretty good as far as accuracy and reliability.

I had a friend in my early 20's who got a hi-point .45 as his first pistol. We shot a ton of rounds out of that thing and could never make it quit. Paper plates at 10 yards was about as good as it got with that pistol. I wasn't as good of a shot back then, but I could do far better with my old man's H&R 733.
Old January 5, 2014, 07:54 AM   #58
varoadking

Quote:
anything made by kahr.
HA! They are extremely accurate handguns...