The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 30, 2013, 09:03 AM   #1
TinyDee

The SW Tactical...

I have a friend who has a Smith and Wesson Tactile in 45 and he is quite fond of it. I do not know but wonder how others feel about it. It came from a PD somewhere and he says it is quite accurate. What's the story on it?
Old December 30, 2013, 09:05 AM   #2
TinyDee

Sorry, fixed my mistake...
Old December 31, 2013, 07:10 PM   #3
lyodbraun

What model 4506 ? That was when smith made good reliable guns IMO... I miss my old smith I had..
Old January 1, 2014, 10:31 AM   #4
carguychris

"Tactical" is not the name of the gun. I believe that your friend has one of the TSW series, which were late-production variants of S&W's 3rd-generation of metal-frame centerfire autoloaders. These pistols were upgraded from the basic stainless models with a screw-on accessory rail (although some compacts omit this), additional frame machining, numbers-matched frame and slide, oversize slide rails, a loaded chamber viewing window, black slide stop, black decocker/safety levers on DA/SA models, and a butch- or garish, YMMV- TACTICAL slide legend. In addition, they feature dark-grey MIM hammers and triggers, although these features were also found on later standard 3rd-generation (or 3rd-gen) models.

S&W 3rd-gen pistols are often aptly compared to metal-frame SIG Sauers. They share the same general advantages- very nice triggers, excellent build quality, exemplary reliability and durability, and very good accuracy. However, they also share the same disadvantages- heavy weight and large size compared to "tactical plastic" of equal capacity, a high bore axis that gives them pronounced muzzle flip, and high prices when new. However, unlike SIG's, the 3rd-gens have been discontinued except for some pricey Performance Center variants. Used examples are often an excellent value.

Most DA/SA 3rd-gens have slide-mounted decocker/safety levers that move down for SAFE and up for FIRE. S&W also produced versions with a SIG-style frame decocking lever, although I don't think any .45 TSW's came this way. All 3rd-gens incorporate a firing pin block for safe hammer-down, loaded-chamber, safety-off carry. DAO versions were also produced; these pistols (obviously) lack decocker/safety levers, and have a partially pre-set trigger to reduce the DA pull length compared to a standard model, but they lack second-strike capability; IOW if the round doesn't go BANG, the slide must be reset- the trigger doesn't function when pulled a second time.

Almost all DA/SA 3rd-gens were built with a magazine disconnect; the rare few that weren't usually have a warning statement on the slide. The mag disconnect was also reportedly omitted from later standard DAO models so a shooter in a competition or LE training scenario can safely drop the partially pre-set hammer without having to carry an empty mag specifically for this purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyodbraun
What model 4506 ?
According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd edition, by Supica & Nauhaus, the Model 4506 was not made in TSW guise.

According to the book, the .45ACP TSW models were:
  • 4513TSW: Compact, 7rd mag, 3-3/4" barrel, DA/SA, alloy frame
  • 4553TSW: Similar to 4513TSW except DAO
  • 4563TSW: Full-size, 8rd mag, 4-1/4" barrel, DA/SA, alloy frame
  • 4566TSW: Similar to 4563TSW except steel frame
  • 4583TSW: Similar to 4563TSW except DAO
  • 4586TSW: Similar to 4566TSW except DAO