The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2013, 03:54 PM   #1
SWThomas

The head stamp thread

I'm curious about a few head stamps I came across sorting brass today. I figured I would make a thread and maybe we can all offer info about certain head stamps. Like who makes them and if there are any known issues with a particular head stamp. I know there's a list decoding head stamps out there but it doesn't offer first hand insight from someone who has used them.

Here's what I got. These are all 223 and 5.56 cases.

- FC 223 REM (I've read multiple times that Federal brass sucks)
- RP 223 REM
- MAL 5.56 12-84
- L C 7 6
- PSD 13
- PMC 223 REM
- WCC 12

Any input on the quality of these cases would be great. Any other info, like if they're crimped, would be good too.

Feel free to list anything I didn't post and give your experience with it. This isn't 223 specific.
Old December 30, 2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Jimro

- FC 223 REM (I've read multiple times that Federal brass sucks)

- RP 223 REM

Remington (Remington Peters)

- MAL 5.56 12-84

Malaysia

- L C 7 6

Lake City, 1976

- PSD 13

Korean

- PMC 223 REM

Korean

- WCC 12

Winchester (western cartridge corp)

You can find much more info at cartridgecollectors.org

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old December 31, 2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Ashbane

Most of mine are federal. I have only run them through 3 or 4 times but have had no problems.
Old December 31, 2013, 11:28 AM   #4
William T. Watts

+1 for Ashbane

I don't have a .223 or 5.56 but if I did I would use FC cases, their brass is a little softer but not to the point that it could cause a problem. You have to remember you will not get as many loadings which isn't a problem because I pitch cases after the fourth firing. I have tested Federal cases for 270win 280Rem 30/06 with 5 firings with zero failures no primer leakage or split necks, I consider this more than adequet for my needs.. I'm not interested in loading cases until they fail, I value my firearms and my personal safety above trying to squeeze another loading out of my cases!!! My .02 William
Old December 31, 2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Hog Buster

You asked about known issues with a particular head stamp. In 50 + years of reloading the only repeated problems I had was with Federal brass. Not with every batch, but enough for me to stop reloading Federal cases. Primers falling out of once fired brass when reloaded, shoulder bulge when bullet seating and so on. Only rare problems with other brands, but many with Federal.

From what I observe Federal brass composition varies a bit from batch to batch. Most times its on the soft side, but now and again you get a run that's a bit harder. This difference makes uniform reloading very difficult with it. One batch behaves normally and the next 2 to 10 batches are soft and give problems. This problem is most apparent in bottle necked brass. Straight walled cases are much more problem free, but some still exist.

A few years back there was a chart posted on here showing brands of .308 brass reloaded until failure, I don't remember who was the worst but Federal was right there at the bottom also.
Old December 31, 2013, 04:36 PM   #6
Panfisher

In the last batch of used brass I bought there were a lot of different head stamps, the most interesting ones were simply marked "Hot Shot" or maybe "Hot Shots". Never heard of them, but they must have been loaded HOT, nearly all of those cases had severely flattened primers and the cases required more effort on the resizing, one of them even was so out of spec that I simply couldn't get it to re-size, I set it aside until the rest were done, lubed it up extra and began a series of attempts pressing it as far as I dared then re-lube again, finally got a full stroke, and when I pulled it out there was a small roll of brass that had been peeled down to the base at the bottom of the sizing die. Even though I had already slated it for disposal I dropped it into my NEF Handi Rifle for a "plunk test" it would even come close to closing. May be the greatest brass and loads ever and just fired in a very oversized chamber but was the onnly time I have even seen a resizing die shave/roll brass down the case.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:42 PM   #7
5whiskey

Quote:
Primers falling out of once fired brass when reloaded, shoulder bulge when bullet seating and so on. Only rare problems with other brands, but many with Federal.
I can say that I've seen the loose primer issue in federal .270 brass myself. Funny, though, I haven't had any problems .223 or 9mm Federal Brass. Who knows? At any rate, I have a bunch of Federal .223 brass with 4 loads out of them and a few that saw 5... then they get pitched.

9mm brass I can get tons of loads out of... but I load light in pistols.
Old December 31, 2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Sierra280

Since no one else has mentioned it, norma.

IIRC Handloader magazine ranked norma #1, with rem/win tied for 2nd. (For rifle brass).

Personally, I think norma is the best. Lapua might be second from what I've heard (never used it), but for the price difference Remington is definitely 2nd in my book.
Old January 5, 2014, 03:27 PM   #9
SWThomas

I scored a bunch of range brass today. A lot of 223. Anyone have experience with these head stamps???

- Tulammo 223 Rem

- GFL 223 Rem
Old January 6, 2014, 08:06 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Tulammo is manufactured in Russia. Tula is one of Russia's historic arms manufacturing cities. The state arsenals there were, IIRC, established by Peter the Great.

These cases could be steel. Check them with a magnet. Reloading steel is possible, but it can be a real chore.

GFL is Fiocchi, of Italy. It's GREAT brass.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 6, 2014, 11:25 AM   #11
SWThomas

I'll bust out a magnet when I get home, but if these cases are steel, I need to have my eyes checked. They look exactly like all my other cases. When I encounter steel cases at the range, they're immediately identified as such, and pitched into the range bucket.
Old January 6, 2014, 11:54 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Tulammo does make brass cased ammo, but they also make (or have recently made) metal-washed steel cased ammo, as well. It looks more like brass than lacquered steel, but still not a lot like brass.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 6, 2014, 01:05 PM   #13
Jay24bal

Tulammo does now offer brass casings. It goes by the name "Tulammo Brass Max." I have seen it on the shelves at Wal-Mart and other big box stores. It is priced in the same price point at PMC, American Eagle, Blazer Brass, etc. They offer it in most popular pistol calibers and I have seen it in .223 for rifles. 100% brass and boxer primers to be reloaded.

As for whether it is any good, I have no idea as I have not bought it, or come across any cases while reloading.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 6, 2014, 05:50 PM   #14
mnoirot64

I have a bunch of 45 Tulammo brass. I have reloaded many of these five+ times and have had no issues. The biggest problem I've had with 45 ACP brass is with Federal and Blazer. 100% of the Blazer brass I've encountered has had small primer pockets. I immediately dump these now. The most frustrating though is Federal, as their 45 brass is hit and miss lately. Some have small primer pockets and some have large. I'm not sure how much money Federal and CCI save by using small primers in 45s. I hope it's a lot as I refuse to load them with small primers and will not be buying any new cartridges from either company. Just my 0.02 cents.

Clarksville, Tennessee
Old January 6, 2014, 08:05 PM   #15
kawasakifreak77

I hang on to those small primer .45 ACP brass when I find 'em. Someday I might have enough to only need small pistol primers since the only other handgun csliber I load is .357 mag.

Personally the worst brass I've come across lately has been Honady in the .300 whisper. That stuff is all over the place. Some won't even fit the shell holder after the first firing. The lengths have been anywhere from .010" short to .020"+ long. The primer pockets açt like they're crimped & neck tension is all over the place. That's with the supers or subs.

Remingtons on the other hand are extremely consistant.

I converted 200+ LC '13 5.56s & once I had taken care of the occasional tight primer pocket have had very good luck with 'em. Several have seen at least a dozen hot super loads with only one failure.