The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 23, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1
mrjetskey

Taurus CT2 9

I bought a Taurus ct29 because I had pistols in 9mm and wanted a carbine that fired same rounds,Try bugging ot with 5k 9mm rds 1k of 12gauge BS.and sdlug ,and %0cal box full of 22LR shells,I wanted ar or ak )(waited too long) but got to thinking how would I carry all this ,so setteled for a good 9mm that was supposed to have 2 31rd mags double stack yet when I bought it the night lights went out in GOVT.at academy it looked like both mags were double stackand size of 9mm 25 or 30 rd,they have 2 large crimpsd on each side of them and wont hold more than 10rd.Taurus lied in their advertisement,So I'm stuck with a gun that only has 10 cap but judging by crimp it was afterthought by taurus.I dont know if this gun qualifiys for 922r it says made in usa on one side made in brazil right across,since these mags.easily come apart with z type spring and floating bullet craddle that catches on the tabs,Could I just take mag apart and machine out its lumps to make it at least 25 round if not 30 like advertised originaly now they advertise 10
Old December 23, 2013, 11:15 PM   #2
tahunua001

I seriously have no clue what you are talking about? taurus has never advertized 31 round mags and there has never been one in this country for that rifle. it is a brand new import based on the brazilian police SMG which does have that capacity but in order to allow importing the design had to be neutered, that includes a 16 inch barrel, semi auto trigger group and 10 round mags. because of 922R there can be no american made magazines for this rifle because it is made in brazil, I don't know where you saw made in USA stamped on it but from everything I've read, it's 100% brazilian and since the gubment doesn't like importing high capacity mags you are stuck with 10 round cap.

in no way shape or form has taurus ever tried to lie or get around that.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old December 25, 2013, 10:59 AM   #3
smee78

There was some BS about them not being able to provide hi cap mags or make and sell them, but if the rifle gets good sales then the aftermarket will fill the void in the hi cap mags, I just hope its not promag.
Old December 25, 2013, 08:42 PM   #4
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I feel your pain. As the owner of two pistol caliber carbines with low cap mags, it sucks. My pistols have higher capacities than the carbines.
Old December 27, 2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Que

Quote:
I just hope its not promag.
If it is Promag (a likely candidate) all is not lost. They did a heck of a good job on the SL8 mags, so they are capable of doing good things.
Old December 27, 2013, 05:18 PM   #6
smee78

I have ZERO faith in promag, the failed on a Glock 19 mag I bought (it would missfeed & the mag body would swell and upon ejecting the mag the rest of the rounds would puke out the top)...enough said. I hope Mecgar or someone along thoes lines makes them.
Old December 27, 2013, 06:14 PM   #7
9x19

I've got a couple hands full of Promag 15 round mags for my Camp Carbines, and have never had a problem with them.

During the AW ban, they sold some Glock mags that ran fine for me, although just like the early factory mags, they did not have the full metal lining and were not drop-free unless empty.
Old December 29, 2013, 03:13 PM   #8
tahunua001

the last round catch for a 9mm promag I own doesn't work, it still feeds 100%
I have a promag 15 round 1911 mag. it feeds 100% from a M1938 and converted enfield.
I've owned and used a few promags for standard AR15s in various capacities they have all functioned 100%

I think they get a bum rap for a few bad batches. maybe I'm just really lucky but if they were to release some 30 rounders for the CT9(essentially it would just be modifying the 9mm mag for my 9mm) then I would give them a chance.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old January 6, 2014, 12:44 PM   #9
Baroke

If you can get an uzi mag and see if there is anything in common. If there is enough you can mod the uzi mag and solve your 10rd limit. Or go about filling out the dimples was my first thought.
Old January 6, 2014, 04:20 PM   #10
tahunua001

the CT9 mags are modified uzi mags. essentially they require a few crimps here and there and they'd work perfectly.
Old January 6, 2014, 06:04 PM   #11
marine6680

Quote:
because of 922R there can be no american made magazines for this rifle because it is made in brazil
I'm not sure that is how it works... there are USA made AK mags.
Old January 6, 2014, 07:37 PM   #12
tahunua001

and every part on the ATFs list of no no parts found on an AK has an american made counterpart. bolts, barrels, furniture, everything can be found with a made in USA stamp and therefore there are no companies afraid to make an american made magazine for an AK.

the same is not true for a taurus carbine. nobody makes made in america parts so until there are enough people willing to do it, it will be illegal to affix a made in the USA mag to your gun as you will be "assembling from parts a rifle banned from import"
Old January 6, 2014, 08:20 PM   #13
marine6680

I don't mess with AKs and the like much...

I know there needs to be no more than 10 parts that are foreign made to have certain features or some such thing with AKs.

Not sure how that works with other firearms... there are plenty of guns imported that have more than 10rd mags.
Old January 6, 2014, 09:22 PM   #14
tahunua001

the same rules apply to all other guns. the difference is that other guns like the SKS all have enough made in USA parts to make the no more than 10 rule plausible and therefore companies like tapco are able to dive right in and make mags for them. however this gun is brand new, nobody is making made in US parts and therefore any addition of a US made part will put mean that you assembled the rifle and that it contains more than 10 foreign parts.

in it's original configuration it can be imported as a sporting arm and therefore it is legal as is but high caps can not be imported due to the ban on importing assualt weapons. so until enough people make enough parts to make the gun contain no more than 10 there are no american firms that are going to be willing to make mags because otherwise no matter who puts one in their gun, it will be an illegal act, as asinine as that sounds.
Old January 6, 2014, 09:30 PM   #15
Baroke

The 922r sucks with how it works you could throw a magpul grip on it and make an adapter for an us ak stock it would look crazy as all get out and a us uzi mag -_- but I don't know if that's enough parts for it. But it looks to be a nice idea like the jr carbine
Old January 12, 2014, 02:24 AM   #16
Baroke

Op can you answer me this. Can you unscrew the pistol grip part of the stock, and you maybe able to fit an hk ump stock block on it and an ar15 pistol grip.