The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 29, 2013, 02:08 PM   #26
powder measure

As to the downloading issue, I just like the ability to be able to do it. For example, after shooting some full house loads with friends, they may not want to continue plinking unless I can offer some lesser power options. I would probably use it full power for hunting, even deer, with a more appropriate bullet just for the enjoyment of something different. I still might consider the rigby. I need to give that some more thought.
Old December 29, 2013, 02:09 PM   #27
pathdoc

I've been following this thread and I keep wondering, if you are planning to download the .458 Magnum down to .45-70 power levels, why don't you just buy a .45-70?

Flexibility, I guess. Knowing you have that extra little edge you can reach for when the performance you want is bumping .45-70 stops. In particular, fans of very long and heavy (or non-lead-cored, or both) bullets might appreciate having a little more length and room in their cases even if they're perfectly happy with what the .45-70 can do on paper.
Old December 29, 2013, 03:04 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Why not just buy a .45-70?

Another reason for choosing the .458 rifle (downloaded ammo) is simply because the .45-70 may not be available, or particularly well suited to the rifle that you want.

.458, loaded to "hot" .45-70 levels can be had in a modern bolt gun, suitable for optics as desired, and a stock that can be easily fitted to you, if needed. Add in the usually good trigger pull and its tough to match in a .45-70 repeater.

I have had both a Marlin 1895 (modern) and a custom Siamese Mauser in .45-70. Good guns, both, now passed on to others. I have kept my Ruger No.3 .45-70, which is about all I need in a .45-70 these days. For other big bore rifle chores, I have this... .458 Winchester Magnum