The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 23, 2013, 06:54 PM   #1
SocialAnarchist

KelTec PMR-30

Was wondering since these have been out for a while if anyone has any experience with them? They got a bad rap when they were first introduced but if they have fixed the glitches I would be very interested in one of these.
Old December 23, 2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Sid

One of the guys at our club bought one when they first came out. He let me try it and that was one hell of a lot of fun. They are ugly looking but surprisingly accurate for just punching holes in paper. I think it is the ultimate range toy.
Old December 23, 2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

I still can't get over the price when you can find them. I ran across a used one the other day - price was $600.
Old December 24, 2013, 02:00 AM   #4
Bill DeShivs

I bought one for less than MSRP right after they came out. Haven't shot it much, but it's a real hoot to shoot! Weighs nothing.
Old December 24, 2013, 03:04 AM   #5
chris in va

Cheaper than a 5.7, that's for sure.
Old December 24, 2013, 06:51 AM   #6
grizz223

I have one, great little gun. The only problem I have ever had was the .22 magnums getting rim locked in the mag other than that it has been awesome!!!
Old December 24, 2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Coach Z

I've had one for a year and a half or so. Great gun Super accurate and I've had no failures at all. I think as long as you're diligent about how you load it and follow the instructions faithfully it will always feed well.

I think it's an awesome gun and just wish you didn't have to pay such a premium for keltec products
Old December 24, 2013, 07:45 AM   #8
PSP

Quote:
Cheaper than a 5.7, that's for sure.
It should be, but not necessarily. I paid less for my 5.7 than I've seen the Keltec asking prices. At $300, maybe I'd buy one just for fun, but at $600 or more, they aren't worth it. The ammo is very hard to find... harder to find than 5.7 ammo for sure and just as expensive.
Old December 24, 2013, 12:51 PM   #9
bamaranger

pistol v. ammo

That's odd and the opposite of around here.

Although there is no .22 lr ammo, .22 mag, and .17 HMR is relatively plentiful.

I've seen one of the pistols, and have yet to handle of fire one.
Old December 24, 2013, 01:50 PM   #10
ttarp

I've been wanting one of these as well, but the one I handled at the pawn shop was used for $750, not happening.
Old December 24, 2013, 08:29 PM   #11
SocialAnarchist

I would love to have one for my wife as a carry around the property as a to do chores gun. But not for 6 or 7 hundred dollars. I liked that it was light and had 30 rounds of .22 magnum.
Old December 25, 2013, 01:18 AM   #12
DubC-Hicks

Wow, these things are averaging $600+? There were 2 at the last gunshow in my town. Both brand new in box, one was $400, the other was $425. This was less than a month ago.
Old December 25, 2013, 03:20 AM   #13
Sevens

I'm not a big fan of Kel-Tec products, but this pistol (at it's MSRP anyway) has had my interest since it's release.

Is there anyone that has any tangible insight as to why Kel-Tec has, to this very moment in time, never even come close with production to come anywhere near the demand this pistol has generated since it was unveiled?

Let me put this another way:
Who sells the P3AT at FIFTY PERCENT over retail, and actually sells them?! Or a PF-9? Or a P32? Has anyone here ever seen evidence that another human in the USA has spent $475 or more on a P3AT, a P32 or a PF-9?

Those prices I just quoted for those budget defense guns are 50% over MSRP. That's an "I've lost my mind and gone nutbar" price to pay for any one of those pistols. Yet that is where the market puts the PMR-30, and the market puts the PMR-30 there because Kel-Tec simply hasn't made enough of them (or a n y w h e r e NEAR enough of them) to satisfy the market.

Why doesn't Kel-Tec make more PMR-30 pistols? The market has spoken and it's been years now since the market has spoken.

If there's an answer, I'm listening.
Old December 25, 2013, 04:42 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

Keltec is producing all the guns it can. They produce all the various models. Concentrating on just the PMR30 (or any other single model) would produce a dearth of the other models (which are all in serious demand.)
The only way production could be increased is buying more manufacturing equipment, and hiring more employees to operate it. Would you invest millions of dollars in equipment under our current government administration?
Kelgren had just come out with the Grendel P30 series of guns when the Clinton "AWB" went into effect! Once bitten, twice shy.
Remember- Keltec sells all of it's guns through distributors at distributor price, and they sell them to dealers at dealer price. Any scalping going on is at the dealer or individual level.
Old December 25, 2013, 04:51 PM   #15
Sevens

I'm not complaining about "scalping" or -ANYONE- selling a handgun for any price, over MSRP or otherwise. I am proud to live here in the USA, in a free market.

I'm saying that Kel-Tec is under-delivering this product. I agree that the other guns I listed are in demand... the difference is that I can find those guns ANYWHERE I might happen to go. Finding a PMR-30 at -ANY- price is a tough gig, finding one at MSRP is vaporware.

Is this something that has been this way for 6 months?

Oh, no, no, no, NO. The Kel-Tec PMR-30 has been over advertised and shockingly under-delivered for years. And Kel-Tec continues to pay for glossy, published print ads for this pistol. Right now at this moment. Yet they can barely be found anywhere.
Quote:
Keltec is producing all the guns it can.
I certainly believe that, but I don't believe the PMR-30 is any of their manufacturing rotations. If they were, we'd see these guns somewhere.
Old December 25, 2013, 05:15 PM   #16
chris in va

Quote:
harder to find than 5.7 ammo for sure and just as expensive.
See, that is the opposite here too. I can always find 22 WMR because 22LR is sold out.
Old December 25, 2013, 05:37 PM   #17
thedudeabides

I have lived on Florida for over a decade and have come to several conclusions about Kel Tec:

-spotty quality, your gun is either the best out there, or garbage that isn't worth the trouble to sell at a gun buy back
-get it at MSRP or less, no Kel Tec is worth over MSRP, and will sell at a fraction of that cost
-Kel Tec has to be doing something right if they can't keep production up with demand
Old December 26, 2013, 01:20 AM   #18
Bill DeShivs

Have you seen any .22lr ammo lately? Same deal.
What is happening is the guns are being made, and sold as soon as they hit dealer's shelves. As I said, I bought one just after they came out.
Old December 26, 2013, 09:16 AM   #19
skoro

Quote:
we'd see these guns somewhere
Ah, yes...

I've seen photos of this mythical beast. In this very thread, there are claims by some to actual sightings or even ownership.

Bah! Humsh*t, I say.

This "PMR-30" thing is in the same category as sasquatch.
Old December 27, 2013, 02:56 PM   #20
bbqncigars

I bought mine at a funshow last year. The only dealer that had them had six at 8:00 Saturday morning. Sold out by 10:30 for $450 each. It's a fun gun that can go through a lot of spendy ammo quickly, so keep that in mind if your budget is tight.
Old December 27, 2013, 05:43 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Is there anyone that has any tangible insight as to why Kel-Tec has, to this very moment in time, never even come close with production to come anywhere near the demand this pistol has generated since it was unveiled?
As I understand it:
KelTec is privately owned by a family that has more money than they know what to do with. The founder is more interested in making prototypes than mass production. It is his company and he has come up with some great designs so I won't fault him. There has long been periods of shortage for their SU-16 and SUB-2000 models. It never seems like there is an abundance of heir pistols around either. Now they added the KSG and PMR into the mix and they are nowhere near being able to meet demand. Last I heard KSG has a decade of production pre-ordered. In the last few years they have planned to double their facility. Some of that is done some of the construction continues.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/about/
Old December 29, 2013, 05:30 PM   #22
Fox84

Keltec's customer service is second to none. I had a issue with a PLR-16. They sent a shipping label and fixed my gun. I have 3 keltecs, a SU-16 and a PF9. I'll have a PMR-30 if they appear someday.

Last edited by Fox84; December 29, 2013 at 05:45 PM.