The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 9, 2013, 07:38 PM   #1
histed

Single-shot madness

After Christmas, I'm looking a buying another rifle and I've had a notion about single shots for a while. I've been looking at the Rossi W and it seems to be a take off of the TC interchangeable barrel idea. Have multiple calibers on the same platform appeals to me, as does the idea of buying new barrels (No, honey, it's the same rifle ) Any one have it? Shot it? Comments?
Old December 9, 2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Cowboy_mo

Check out the cost of additional barrels before you leap. In the case of the TC's you can buy almost buy a 2nd rifle for what the barrel costs. Also its been my experience that most wives aren't gullible enough to believe a new barrel isn't a "new"rifle
Old December 9, 2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Colt46

On a lark

Maybe check out EA Brown rifles. Pricy, but super accurate and easy to shoot well. I've been tempted for a while now.
Old December 9, 2013, 08:14 PM   #4
histed

She's anything but, cowboy, but I gotta try
Old December 9, 2013, 09:58 PM   #5
big al hunter

Quote:
Also its been my experience that most wives aren't gullible enough to believe a new barrel isn'ta "new"rifle
The gun store says it's not a new gun.
The government says it's not a new gun.
You don't have to sign any background check paperwork.

It is a part of a gun. I will argue that til I'm blue in the face.
But my wife won't believe it either

I love my TC Encore, so I will have to try the argument some day. I have both the TC and a Rossi. Quality goes to TC. Both are functional as hunting rifles, not competition guns though. From what I have seen there are more cartridge options for the TC as well. Get a TC if you can swing the $.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Jay24bal

Quote:
It is a part of a gun. I will argue that til I'm blue in the face.
But my wife won't believe it either
I have tried this argument with my better half, and I have figured out that stocks, grips, mags and optics count as "parts or accessories," while barrels, complete uppers, and complete lowers count as "new guns." Once I discovered that optics counted as "parts," I discovered that this is only the case if they are under about $300...

Good luck in your decision, and hopefully you end up meeting your needs for many calibers.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old December 9, 2013, 11:01 PM   #7
bcarver

contender and encore

The contender and encore are fine. the contender gets the nod for weight but lacks the choices of caliber. I could do all my hunting with an encore.
I hunt with a 45-70 contender for deer and it is awesome. The encore 12 gauge is a delite to carry for turkeys.
The Rossi can be had for less than the price of a barrel on an encore.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:28 PM   #8
tdoyka

for about 5 or 6 years i carried the ruger #1 in 270 win. then i had a stroke two years ago, and i carried this year a 6.5 creedmoor in the encore. i luv it! and you can tell it like it is, barrels are cheap. mgm, bullberry, ea brown are all great barrels. my current barrels are 6.5 cm and the 20 vartarg done by mgm barrels. the next two are 257 bob ai and 357 maximum also from mgm.
these are real rifles, even tho i really would like to shoot them as pistols. 6.5 and 20vt use 16 1/4" barrels, the next two i haven't decided on. if you want some advice, click

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/

everybody will help!

http://matchgrademachine.com/
http://www.bullberry.com/
Old December 10, 2013, 01:01 AM   #9
Damon555

My Encore pro hunter is a dream to carry around and it is as accurate as most factory bolt rifles. My gunsmith touched up the trigger and it is perfect for a deer rifle.

It is one of my primary prairie dog rifles too.....it all depends on what barrel is on there.....

Old December 10, 2013, 05:35 PM   #10
PetahW

I'm a T/C fan, also - But like the TCR ( Thompson Center Rifle) much better.

Old December 10, 2013, 06:37 PM   #11
pathdoc

Oh that TCR is so, so sweet.

Two triggers - setting trigger and ultra-fine "set" trigger to fire?

I wonder - what calibres do they come in? (Or if one is willing to pay enough, is there any calibre it DOESN'T come in?)
Old December 10, 2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Goatwhiskers

Pathdoc, they were in a nice assortment of calibers, but sadly the TCR '83 and '87 haven't been manufactured in a long time. Still available on the used market at what I consider ridiculous prices. That set pictured above just made me drool all over the keyboard. GW
Old December 10, 2013, 08:37 PM   #13
histed

The TC has always been a fine piece of equipment, but they're a little out of my price range, at least for now. That's why I'm considering the Rossi. I know it isn't a TC and that Rossi is part of Taurus now, so is it worth considering? The few NEA Handi Rifles I've shot were decent, but, so far as I know, they don't offer multiple interchangeable calibers.
Old December 10, 2013, 09:07 PM   #14
mxsailor803

Have you considered buying just a TC receiver for now and buy the barrels you want later? I got lucky and found a Encore receiver for 300 bucks (normally 500+ around here) and now I just need to decide on barrels.
Old December 10, 2013, 09:28 PM   #15
steveNChunter

I looked into the Rossi W (a.k.a. Wizard) awhile back and found a lot of reports of poor accuracy and quality so I decided against it.

IMO the best combination of value and performance in a single shot rifle is the H&R/NEF Handi-Rifle. You can send them your receiver and they will fit new barrels to it if you so desire, but for the ~$250 that they cost new, I'd rather just buy the whole rifle. You can usually find them on sale at places like Academy for $199.

I really want one in .30-30 so I can load spitzer-style bullets for a .30-30

"I never said half the crap that people on the internet claim I said" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by steveNChunter; December 11, 2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect
Old December 10, 2013, 11:05 PM   #16
mxsailor803

SteveNC has a very valid point as well about the NEF. And they are also in .500S&W
Old December 10, 2013, 11:41 PM   #17
tdoyka

encore frames $300-$350 on the internet
Old December 11, 2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Guv

I would definetly go with a T/C. You could allways slip a spare frame in latter and viola, you have a second gun!
Old December 11, 2013, 05:13 PM   #19
steveNChunter

This is just a follow up about the Handi-rifle for anyone who may be considering one:

While the .500 s&w magnum is a wicked cartridge, it's a little too wicked to be chambered for a Handi-rifle IMO. They don't hold up well when shot a lot. Recoil is a bear too.

Also rimless cartridges can be problematic in the handi rifle when it comes to ejecting the spent case. The rimmed cartridges like .30-30 are better suited to the Handi-Rifle IMO. But of course YMMV

"I never said half the crap that people on the internet claim I said" - Abraham Lincoln
Old December 11, 2013, 08:15 PM   #20
Guv

I bet the 500 is a bear, I had a 44mag H&R that was petty sweet. 357 Max would be nice.
Old December 11, 2013, 08:36 PM   #21
Bamashooter

I bought a .243 Handi-Rifle a few years back for my son. Topped with a Burris FFII 3-9X40 scope it easily shoots MOA or better with factory ammo. It is still in very good shape and I have never had a problem with it. In my opinion the only downside is having to send your receiver in to get a barrel fitted when you buy one. A very good project for the off season.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:27 PM   #22
gbran

TC G2