The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 7, 2013, 10:47 AM   #51
kraigwy

I have lots of '06 rifles.

What's the point? I signed up for the CMP GSM OK Games this next April.

I'll shot the Garand in the Garand Match
The M1993a3 in the Springfield Match
The M1917 in the other Vintage Military Match
and the Model 1903A4 in the Vintage Sniper Match.

I'm still debating whether to shoot my Vietnam Clone M70 sniper rifle in a 1000 yard match this summer. Also in '06.

All the same caliber.

This post did remind me I don't have an '06 hunting rifle, now I got to find another Model 70 action.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 7, 2013, 12:26 PM   #52
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Have 5 .22 rifles and 3 .22 pistols--- 2 9mm's ---2 12ga's----I seek redundancy in my guns.

Will add to the rifles when I get more money saved.
-------Metallica
Old December 7, 2013, 05:16 PM   #53
Ben Towe

I wouldn't sell either of them. I still have Dad's 742 even though it hasn't been shot in years. I just get it out and oil it once in awhile and it makes me think of Dad and the fact that it was his go to gun for 25 years. Similarly, I have all my Grandfather's old shotguns and one of his service revolvers (my brother has the other one), most of which don't get shot much, but they have a history.

I'll add this as well, even if it wasn't for the family connection, I would still keep them both. I used to trade around and sell guns quite a bit, and I can only think of a couple of guns that I don't regret getting rid of. You would be better off to save a little money along to outfit the 700 to your liking rather than selling the 742 to finance it. 742s are pretty good old rifles but they don't bring the money that they used to, at least around here, so any financial gain will be negligible. Your money and your guns, so it's your call, but that's my 2ยข.
Old December 13, 2013, 06:43 PM   #54
Mystro

I can see multiple rifles in one caliber. You may have a very $$$$ gun you might not want to hunt with in the rain so you have a beater or brush gun for different terrain.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old December 14, 2013, 01:34 AM   #55
Bart B.

A centerfire competitive shooter could easily have 6 or more rifles all chambered for the .308 Win.

A 6 pound hunting rifle with a 2 pound trigger.

A 12-pound NRA match rifle with a medium weight 26 inch 1:11 twist barrel and clip guide to use in rapid fire matches as well as slow fire matches with 168 and 190 grain bullets using a 1-pound trigger.

A 13.5 pound single shot Palma rifle with a 1:13 twist 30 inch barrel for 155-gr. bullets and a 3.5 pound trigger.

A 15-pound free rifle for international 300 meter matches with a heavy 26 inch 1:12 twist barrel for 168-gr. bullets using a 4 ounce trigger.

A 9 pound M1 Garand used in NRA and CMP service rifle matches with its 4.5 pound trigger.

A 10-pound tactical rifle with a supressor and a detachable magazine for use in special matches for such rifles.

Several trophy rifles won in matches all chambered for the .308 Win.
NRA Smallbore Prone Master
Old December 14, 2013, 08:23 AM   #56
1goodshot

I would not sell them just because your grandfather gave them to you. You can pass them down to the next generation.
Old December 14, 2013, 09:41 AM   #57
barnbwt

Quote:
Multiple rifles in the same caliber - what's the point?
Because a BM59 Alpini doesn't do the same things as an FNAR well . I'd say barrel length/weight differences (and maybe stock configuration) legitimately press barrels into different and otherwise incompatible roles.

A ZB37 also doesn't do the same things a VZ24 does well, either

TCB
Old December 14, 2013, 09:48 AM   #58
SR420

I have 3 7.62mm NATO M14s, and the spare parts to keep them going.
Old December 14, 2013, 11:40 AM   #59
Meeteetse

I have two of each caliber I own. Why? For many reasons but two come to mind. Most of the guns in any caliber are duplicates because if one goes down the other is available and parts are interchangeable so I can keep atleast one running. May never happen, but who knows. Secondly if I like a particular gun, rifle, pistol, shotgun, I like the idea of having more than one. As someone said, two is one and one is none. Besides, as long as I can I will have more than one. What is better looking, a rifle rack with one or a full rack that allows choices for every occasion. A rack full of leverguns is a thing of beauty, add in a couple of double barrel coach guns, put on a good John Wayne movie and sit back and enjoy. Can't do that with one lonely rifle. Rifles need friends, too.