The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 3, 2013, 09:00 PM   #26
tangolima

I keep a 12 gauge pump shotgun loaded with #1 buckshots at home.

I also keep a glock 23 in my emergency supply box. We have earthquake in Southern California. In case the big one comes, I can still dig out the boxes (20mm cannon ammo cases) from under the rubbles. The supply will keep our family going for a week on a stretch, and the glock will be the tool for security if needed.

With the glock, I also have drop-in barrels for 9mm Luger and .357 sig, and some other spare parts. Extra ammunitions are stored at separate locations.

I have other pistols. I usually shoot them single-handed bullseye style. But for the glock, it is in two-hand Weaver's stand.

-TL
Old December 3, 2013, 09:04 PM   #27
mk70ss

My nightstand pistol is a S&W model 64 .38 special. In the closet is a Mossberg pistol gripped Tactical 500 12 gauge.
Old December 3, 2013, 09:31 PM   #28
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I was kind of leaning towards a Smith and Wesson. 357 Revolver with a 3 or 4 inch barrel.
That's my choice. I have a S&W 686 with a 3" barrel. It's a 357 Mag, but I load it with Speer 38 Special +P 135g Gold Dot "Short Barrel" ammo.

Inside a house, full power 357 magnum rounds are way too loud. They also tend to flash via barrel and barrel/cylinder gap. I don't need to be temporarily blinded and rendered deaf. A properly placed 38+P round is about as effective as any.

It's going to come down to what you are proficient at shooting. But revolvers are simple and don't give your mind anything to think about other than aim and fire. There's a lot to be said for that.
Old December 3, 2013, 10:02 PM   #29
Rifleman1952

If you are new to firearms, a revolver in .357/.38 special is a good place to begin. Smith & Wesson would be my first choice, but Ruger makes fine revolvers as well. Find a range where you can rent several models and see what works well for you. The snub nosed revolver has a proven track record since the 1920's. It's easy to carry, and will get the job done.
Old December 4, 2013, 08:35 AM   #30
2000ShadowACE

I usually have my 1911 on my hip or the night stand. It has enough firepower to hold off someone until i can get to the 20 gauge. I feel the shotgun is a much better home defense weapon, but it is a little tough to carry the long gun around the house all day long.
Old December 4, 2013, 01:58 PM   #31
Tactical Jackalope

Home defense handgun is usually what I carry. I carry 24/7, the past year it's been a Glock 19 that sports a Streamlight TLR-1s sometimes and sometimes doesn't.

Prior, it was the SIG Sauer P226 or Glock 21, 17, 34, with the same light.

I have a little over 6 magazines out for my Glock 9mm's including one 33 rounder.

Hurricane/power outages my AR-15 comes out for night duty.
Sometimes my AR comes out for no reason at all.

I recommend a shotgun for home defense, but haven't trained with one. Given my research they make the most sense.

I stick to my Glock 19 and/or AR-15 which has 7 magazines out.
Old December 4, 2013, 02:30 PM   #32
bt380

Buzzcook said it all. The only thing left out is a Hi-Point in 45 so when you run out of bullets you can throw the darn thing at em for a kill clocking.
Old December 4, 2013, 04:56 PM   #33
temmi

I would use anything before a 357Mag

Too much power

I still like the autofeeds

Glock, Sig, H&K, XD

All very good choices

Snake
Old December 4, 2013, 05:35 PM   #34
ClydeFrog

Plus 1 on post #28....

I agree with post #28.
Many gun owners or license holders do not put the practical elements of what a home invasion or break in will really be.
It will be in low light, during hours or times where you might be asleep or "off guard".
You'll be on the phone or using a alarm to contact 911 or a security service(if you have that plan).
Your kids, spouse, pets, etc will be amped up & either freaking out or in their home defense mode(if you already had that plan or system in place, ).
You may need to fend off a attacker or some strung out junkie who lunges at you for your weapon. A M4 or patrol rifle might not be as swift as a .357magnum snub or a compact pistol with a white-light/strobe.

Lenny Magill, www.gunvideo.com put out a well made home defense video several years ago, both he & his lovely wife advocated a simple DA 3"/4" .38spl or .357magnum revolver for basic home protection.

That's good advice for most shooters/license holders.
Old December 13, 2013, 12:33 AM   #35
jmohme

For home defense, I keep a 40 cal Glock 22 nearby.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:52 AM   #36
horselips

I don't have a handgun for home defense. I have about half a dozen, discretely dispersed about my premises. I am never more than a few feet from one or another. They are all revolvers. Calibers include .38Spcl/.357Mag, .44 Special, .44Magnum, .45 Colt, and .45ACP. Their intended role is to defend myself on the way to my closet where a very handy AK47 Underfolder and a Remington 1100 await.

All are on a regular rotation for trips to the range.
Old December 14, 2013, 02:10 AM   #37
Bezoar

When you choose a handgun, you have to understand some factors.

1. you cannot care about shooting great aunt emmas china hutch or what the other relatives will say about you doing so.

2. Ideally, you need a firearm that will render great aunt emmas china hutch and your fold out couch into something useless for a criminal to hide behind for safety.

3. Taken 2 is a more realistic outlook on how a home invasion is going to go down. Expect at least two thugs at one time. And be prepared to shoot till your barrel turns red and melts.

Well 357 is an awful good caliber. So is 45 colt and 44 special. SO is a wheel gun in 45acp that can be loaded to .460 rowland type fun.
Old December 14, 2013, 12:40 PM   #38
SansSouci

A long gun will generally trump a handgun for self-defense. If you're certain that you can stay barricaded with a single room and not have to assure safety of kids and other loved ones, the best place to be is behind cover farthest from likely entry portal. If you have to leave your room for any reason, a long gun becomes a liability.

For me, the best is a 1911A1. For others, it's what they shoot best and are most comfortable.
Old December 14, 2013, 12:43 PM   #39
SansSouci

horselips,

I am curious of where you live.

How do you plan to control the various guns you have about your home? In other words, how would you prevent an intruder from getting one or more of them?
Old December 14, 2013, 01:23 PM   #40
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by horselips
I have about half a dozen, discretely dispersed about my premises. I am never more than a few feet from one or another.
I used to do something like that. In a small house or an apartment staging weapons isn't that complicated. But I just moved to a three-story house and I realized that it's a lot simpler just to concealed carry inside my house as well as outside. Now I don't have to worry about where the closest firearm is because I just have it on me whenever I'm not in the shower or in bed.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:25 PM   #41
BigD_in_FL

I would not want to fire a 357 in a small dark room - besides deafness, the blinding flash will interfere with any follow-up shots
Old December 14, 2013, 02:57 PM   #42
Biff Tannen

Your main considerations should be where bullets that miss their targets might go (God forbid!)
Wife, children, neighbors, outside traffic etc are your main concern.
When you ascertain your wall strength, window locations, distance from neighbors, safest places to shoot from, etc... THEN have a look at your safest handgun options.
Good luck, stay safe, and God bless!
Old December 14, 2013, 06:30 PM   #43
GyMac

S&W Model 10 with a 4 inch barrel, heavy or tapered. 158 grain Lead Hollow Point.
Old December 15, 2013, 12:53 PM   #44
AirCool65

I'm with GyMac... the S&W 10-8 is my preference.
Old December 15, 2013, 02:10 PM   #45
L-NH

I keep three firearms in my bedroom. There is a 4.2" Ruger GP100 .357 magnum in my night stand. It would be my go to gun in a home defense situation. I store my CCW overnight in my dresser as a backup weapon. It is a Kahr CW9 compact 9mm pistol. I also keep an AR-15 under the bed with a couple of extra magazines incase I ever need it. The primary reason it is there is because it won't fit in my gun case in the den though. My wife is comfortable using the Ruger and the Kahr, but not the AR-15. I think that is an important factor if you have a family to defend. There is no guarantee that you will remain standing for the whole fight if your home is invaded overnight. Someone needs to be able to take over for you, which requires that they be comfortable with the weapon you were using.
Old December 15, 2013, 03:00 PM   #46
skizzums

i truly believe the best dedicted home defense weapon is a serbu super shorty style, since you said the ability to CC in the future with your HD gun i guess i would go 357mag

my 357 sleeps with me, shotgun next to the door and ar next to the bed, i figure the ar wouldnt really come to play unless i am checking outdoors, the shotgun is for bumps in the night, and the 357 is with me in case someone gets into my room while asleep

but having children can really change things, if you get the jump on a bad guy near your kids room you could have a possble hostage situation, in that case i would still feel most condifent with a SA/DA revolver, i would not feel confident takng a head shot next to a childs with a DAO
Old December 15, 2013, 04:19 PM   #47
MTT TL

Quote:
I was kind of leaning towards a Smith and Wesson. 357 Revolver with a 3 or 4 inch barrel.
I'd use a rifle but there is nothing wrong with your choice. If you are going to conceal it later get the 3". Just keep in mind it will fireball on you with that short barrel and full power loads.
Old December 16, 2013, 07:50 AM   #48
Mannlicher

I have two Springfield 1911-A1s set up with a Surefire X300. Makes a great HD pistol, and snap off the light, and it slips into a CCW holster.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 16, 2013, 11:46 AM   #49
Derbel McDillet

A Glock 19 loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P or 147gr, or Federal HST 147gr.

Good luck!
Old December 21, 2013, 10:35 PM   #50
DannyB1954

For revolvers I like my Ruger SP101 in 357mag the best. For home use any good 38Special self defense round. I also have a S&W 38 Bodyguard. It is a good gun, but I shoot the Ruger better.

For Semi auto, my favorite is a Ruger SR9c. I have a Glock27 as well, but still like the Ruger.

All together I have 5 semi auto pistols, and 6 revolvers, ranging from .22lr to 44Mag.

Last edited by DannyB1954; December 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM.