The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Clark

Pre woodsman Colt: today's gun show purchase

This is a pre Colt Woodsman 1919 that has 70% original bluing and a correct two tone magazine.

I would have paid more, but I offered less.
He wanted $400, I offered $350, he countered $360 and I took it.
It had no oil, no dirt, and no rust.
So it must have been stored well.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 24, 2013, 12:20 AM   #2
ms6852

I hope you buy a lottery ticket cause your luck is out of this world. Great find and purchase.
Old November 24, 2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Sevens

I had one and I owned it for a year and loved it... but had to move it. Mine was 1928 production and it was not spec'd for high velocity ammo. I wasn't thrilled with having to buy a little pricier ammo for it, but I figured it wasn't a big deal for a pistol that I really loved, so I bought two cases of the lowest priced SV ammo I could find (Mexican made Eley Sport) and figured I would be happy going forth.

The problem was more than the ammo, however -- it was the dang magazines. Mine also came with a correct First Series two-tone magazine, and my magazine functioned perfectly. With that mag, the pistol ran like a top and was a pleasure to shoot. But I was handcuffed with that single mag and I failed miserably to find even a second magazine to supplant my range sessions -- when what I really wanted was FOUR extra magazines.

The magazines are as collectible as the darn pistols. If you found a First Series magazine for $75, that was a *BUY* price. I saw them often priced & marketed far higher than that. Triple K had made a compatible aftermarket magazine, but even those silly things are out of production. And I think we can agree, Triple-K was never an industry leader in magazines out there.

When I found a fine deal on a 1952 Challenger (Second Series Woodsman Variant) and I ran it hard over two range days, I knew it was time to honor my 1928 Woodsman and forward it on to another shooter. The Second Series pistols have a better grip feel and larger sights.

I'll not regret a minute of the year I spent with my '28 Woodsman or the 600+ rounds I sent downrange with it, but I'm -FAR- happier with a Second Series, with magazines that exist in the real world and common high-velocity .22LR ammo.

Truth is, I love all the Woodsman pistols. Yours is very cool, and I know this simply from my own.