The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2013, 12:48 AM   #1
dom350

Berrys 158 gr RN 357

Hello all,
a little history, I purchased some Berrys plated when the economy went into panic mode, by accident I grabbed some of these bullets. I dont think i have seen round nose on a 357 and I cant seem to find a recipe. Starting to wonder if these are used primarily for the 38 special. I have two kegs of blue dot, and I couldn't use it for the 125 gr because of the recent warning.

Could any of you point me in the right direction with this bullet, can i use the round nose for the 357?
Old November 5, 2013, 02:19 AM   #2
Hammerhead

If your cylinder is long enough to handle the overall length (OAL) required of round nose bullets, there should be no reason you can't use them.

I would use 158 JHP/JSP data, working up from the bottom and staying at least 10% below maximum charge because they're plated.
Old November 5, 2013, 01:06 PM   #3
BigJimP

You'll find a variety of loads -using Hodgdon powders..../ I've loaded some of them, just watch the velocity on Berry's bullets - keep them under 1200 fps and you'll be fine.....but I used the Berry's plated bullets with mid range loads using both Hodgdon Universal and Hodgdon TiteGroup....
Old November 5, 2013, 04:50 PM   #4
wogpotter

Yes you can. After all a 158 Gr RN lead was standard for years.
I've used them in a DW .357 with no problems.
5.9 Gr of Unique ran a bit over 985 FPS @ 15 ' with no problems.

You might need to do a bit of fiddling with the seating depth to get COAL down a bit & back the charge off a tad to compensate, but it can be done.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 5, 2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I have two kegs of blue dot, and I couldn't use it for the 125 gr because of the recent warning.
^^ Uhh, did I miss a memo? What recent warning? ^^

Anyway, you should be able use Blue Dot with your 158g plated RN's without trouble. It's too slow for my loading style, but a good balanced load can be created with your mentioned combination.

Speer #14 starts it at 9.2g's and that sounds like a good starting point. I'd work up the loading until it burns clean (which could be at 9.2), and stop. 158's don't generate enough velocity to worry a lot about the whole plated limitation thing - IMO, at least. That said, there's still no point in pushing it. That's why I say load it up until it starts burning clean, then stop.
Old November 6, 2013, 10:41 PM   #6
dom350

See the warning here.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting...y_notices.aspx

you show 9.2g as starting, what do you show for max and OAL? My books doesnt show blue dot with this projectile.

And I cant find RN at the reloading websites.
Old November 7, 2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Nick_C_S

I just double-checked: Speer #14 starts at 9.0g's. Not sure where I got 9.2g's from. The OAL in the book is 1.570, but it's kind of apples-n-oranges. Speer bullets are not Berry's. And since they're actually jacketed, you'd just crimp them in the cannelure - no need to measure OAL. Midway's load map has Rainier bullets at 1.590. But again, apples-n-oranges. I'm thinking you should set your OAL somewhere in that neighborhood though. 20 thousandths is not that critical in this situation - it's Blue Dot in a long case.
Old November 7, 2013, 12:11 AM   #8
dom350

Thanks for that, I will try 9.0 and watch the OAL to ensure it will fit in the carriage.

As far as blue dot, i havent used it before, but I did purchase it specifically for this caliber with the 125 gr.... until I read the warning.
Old November 7, 2013, 01:19 AM   #9
Nick_C_S

I cut my loading teeth on Blue Dot many years ago - 1984, to be exact. It's a good thing it's a forgiving powder, because I loaded with more bravery than common sense back then. I don't use it any more. Sometime early on, I moved away from Hercules (it's Alliant now) powders and into Winchester.

At any rate, Blue Dot is good powder for heavier bullets in 357 Magnum; lighter bullets, not so much (I had this opinion before reading the warning). It is much better served, however, if the gun has a longer barrel - preferably 6" or more. Below that, and it gets to being pretty flashy and velocity suffers. Slower powders like longer barrels.

I am admittedly a fast-powder-centric loader. HS-6 is the slowest powder I use now days. HS-6 is considerably faster than Blue Dot. I load with more W231 and AA2 than any others. I frequently recommend faster powders than others do in various posts here on TFL. Most people use powders too slow for the application. There's far more to selecting the correct powder for an application than looking at a load manual and selecting the one that shows the highest velocity.

For some reason, there's a lot of Blue Dot running around out there right now. With all the shortages, we buy what's available, I guess.
Old November 7, 2013, 02:23 AM   #10
Hammerhead

Yep, HS-6 is a good one for plated/jacketed 158s in the original magnum.
SR-4756 is my personal favorite for that application, plus it can be found these days.
Old November 7, 2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Hammerhead: "SR-4756 is my personal favorite for that application, plus it can be found these days."
Yep, I was at Sportsmen's this morning, and they had 4756. But I was there looking for faster stuff - naturally

Along the lines of this post, I did pick up some Berry's 158g FP's (they had RN's, but I chose the FP's).

I don't have a taper crimp die, however. I'll just use a light roll crimp. I won't be loading these very hot anyway. I've got tons of jacketed 158's for that.
Old November 7, 2013, 04:37 PM   #12
dom350

Quote:
Most people use powders too slow for the application

What do you recommend for the 357? Also, do you prefer Magnum primers or not?
Old November 7, 2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Nick_C_S

Quote:
What do you recommend for the 357?
It depends on the application and barrel length. My 357's (the ones I shoot frequently, at least) have 3" & 4" bbls. If I'm loading general purpose practice shooters, I usually use AA5. If I'm loading the hot stuff, I use HS-6 or Power Pistol. If I'm loading low-flash indoor defense rounds, I use AA2 - and that's pretty fast stuff. . . But it's correct for the application - and that's the sort of thing most loaders don't seem to get. (For target or match target, I drop into 38's.)

Quote:
Also, do you prefer Magnum primers or not?
It depends on the powder. With HS-6, I use magnum primers in all revolver applications. 231, AA2, AA5, P'P'stl don't require mag primers.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:13 PM   #14
zxcvbob

I think Blue Dot is gonna really suck in .357 Magnum with those bullets because you're going to have to load it down to keep the velocity below 1200 or so. Blue Dot likes to be loaded hot -- but not too hot. A faster powder, like Unique, 231, Bullseye, or Red Dot would do you better.

Since you have so much BD already, might as well try it. Maybe it will burn right before you overdrive the bullets and the accuracy falls apart.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:24 PM   #15
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Maybe it will burn right before you overdrive the bullets and the accuracy falls apart.
Yep. That's why in an earlier post, I recommended "load up until it burns clean, and then stop." Or words to that effect.
Old November 8, 2013, 01:40 PM   #16
dom350

I have Bullseye and HP 38 as well, so I may try those instead and save or sell the Blue Dot.... Thanks allot for all your input, I appreciate it.