The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 28, 2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Bezoar

wadcutter erosion

It was posited by the garrett company website i believe that when a semi wadcutter hits a target/animal that the the shoulder of the bullet will erode into what was hit.

SO if this is perfectly true and accepted over the place, ive seen other places and writers mention, at what impact velocity would a full wadcutter dissapear?
Old October 28, 2013, 08:06 AM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
It was posited by the garrett company website i believe that when a semi wadcutter hits a target/animal that the the shoulder of the bullet will erode into what was hit.

SO if this is perfectly true and accepted over the place, ive seen other places and writers mention, at what impact velocity would a full wadcutter dissapear?
What?!! Your question is not very clear. However, a wadcutter shoulder will be worn away (minute particles left behind in its path and the Sharp edge dulled), from the bullet, but when the entire bullet would be worn away is a moot suposition...no handgun has the ability to achieve the velocity to enable a lead wadcutter bullet to penetrate that far in an animal or target media. Nevertheless, I am sure that if a wadcutter bullet re-entered earth's atmosphere, it would erode, and completely burn-up on re-entry.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old October 28, 2013, 11:34 AM   #3
snuffy

Quote:
wadcutter erosion

HUH??¿¿ Please re-state your question, I don't understand---------!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 28, 2013, 11:37 AM   #4
mikld

"Erode into"? I don't think so. I've read, and believe that when a SWC bullet hits flesh the flat nose disrupts the flesh, pushing it away from the shoulders. On paper, a SWC will cut holes with the shoulders much like a full wadcutter, but a SWC is much more accurate at distances than a wadcutter.

Here's a bunch of bullets impacting hard surfaces;

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-kurzzeit-com/
Old October 28, 2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Ruger480

Quote:
Nevertheless, I am sure that if a wadcutter bullet re-entered earth's atmosphere, it would erode, and completely burn-up on re-entry.
If I were to get into reloading, where would I find data to load for that particular round?
Old October 28, 2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Bezoar

ok so its easier to understand.

assume your bullet is .358 diameter with a .344 diameter projection.

they say that the ENTIRE shoulder will erode away upon contact, and that the bullet will end up being the .344 diameter and look like a truncated cone style bullet.

Now at what point is it possible for a FULL wadcutter to erode to nothing?

I didnt mention for handgun or rifle..
Old October 28, 2013, 05:20 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
Now at what point is it possible for a FULL wadcutter to erode to nothing?
At the same point where there are so many angles dancing on the head of a pin that the universe implodes. Nonsensical question, nonsensical answer.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old October 28, 2013, 05:30 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

It's got to be true . . . I read it on the internet . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 28, 2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Sarge

I've seen the meplat of 45 SWC's ground down after penetrating the shoulders and spine of a 450+ hog. Looked like the nose of it had slammed into sand with fine gravel in it.

It would take impractical, unheard-of velocities to vaporize a 44/45 SWC on normal size game.
Old October 29, 2013, 12:47 PM   #10
mikld

I don't think a bullet "erodes". Some bullets will "shed" pieces of bullet material due to expansion, hitting bone, etc., but "eroding" is a term that just don't fit the situation...

But, if you pushed a wadcutter to 3,984 fps, and it traveled 47.862" into a flesh type target, I don't think you'd find much left of that bullet
Old November 1, 2013, 06:20 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

precognition?

No.

Also, I have personally learned that I can state what a bullet may do; I cannot state what a bullet will do. Ay?
Old November 2, 2013, 01:29 AM   #12
yangos

So I was sitting around the other day smoking like 5 joints you know one after the other when my orbital sander attacked me, I didnt have any loaded ammo on hand so I just held up a .45 lc bullit to protect myself. Fended off the attack for 39 seconds until the bullit was eroded down to nothing...hope that helps.
Old November 2, 2013, 04:53 AM   #13
Airman Basic

Steel targets erode the heck out of my boolits.
Old November 2, 2013, 01:14 PM   #14
RJay

I've read that around 1,000 FPS lead bullets it will start leading the barrel, so by the time you get to the needed velocity to erode a WC to nothing your barrel will be a lead pipe.
Old November 5, 2013, 08:26 AM   #15
griz

Quote:
they say that the ENTIRE shoulder will erode away upon contact, and that the bullet will end up being the .344 diameter and look like a truncated cone style bullet.
Would you point out where in their website that they make that statement? I can't seem to find it.
Old November 5, 2013, 11:59 AM   #16
mikld

Not sure who Garrett is. Do they make bullets? What make them experts on bullet performance?
Old November 5, 2013, 12:02 PM   #17
griz

Garret Cartridges
Old November 5, 2013, 12:02 PM   #18
mikld

Quote:
I've read that around 1,000 FPS lead bullets it will start leading the barrel, so by the time you get to the needed velocity to erode a WC to nothing your barrel will be a lead pipe.
Not true. I've shot plain based bullets in my revolvers, .357 and .44 Magnums, to over 1100 fps many times...
Old November 7, 2013, 05:41 PM   #19
bluetopper

Life is too short for such.