The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2013, 12:06 AM   #1
armoredman

Home cast bullets at the range.

I rarely go to the range in the afternoon, but with a few minor crises going on, this afternoon was the time I could go. OK, I can work with that. I took the SA vz-58 and the P-09, two reliable performers, with some loads I wanted to try out. I also took my chronograph, sucker was feeling left out, hasn't been used in a year or so. Blew the dust off and away we went!

I found my spot on the 80 yards range - the 300 was busy, and I wanted to see a few things closer in, anyway. One was, will the Berrys bullet loads still shred in the vz-58 barrel now that I lapped it? Sadly, I am an idiot, was so happy to see round holes I forgot to take a picture of it! They did well, and more Berry's 129 grain plated flat point bullets will be loaded soon. But on to the ones I did remember to photograph...

So I decided to see what that cast bullet load would do...remember, this one?

Yeah, people get weirded out enough seeing reloads in 7.62x39mm, that they turn into babbling buffoons when they realize I load hand cast bare lead into it...always good for a laugh. But in any case, I want to see if all that work is wasted. Well, it appears not too badly wasted, after all.

Eh, worth working on. No stool and rest, wanted to shoot like I might out hunting.

The chrono looked funny, shooting out to that target. No, I was standing for that one - didn't want to shoot the chronograph...

What got me was the HUGE deviation in velocities. The round is accurate, but I think due to the impossibility of a serious crimp with the way I load it causes the tensile strength holding the bullet in to be based solely on the individual brass. In 15 samples the velocity was an average of 1776, (yeah, think that number gives ya chills, the LAST round fired was 1775!), with a standard deviation of 104! From 1628 all the way up to 1949. By way of comparison, I fired a few Wolf FMJ, and the SD from that stuff was 15.9. Oh well, maybe the Lee 160 grainer cast with the GOOD lead will be more consistent.

Then I moved the target in closer, 11 paces or approximately 10 yards, plus a few inches. Time for the P-09 to shine, and friend, it did!

I am not in the same category as many really good shooters, but I couldn't begin to argue with these results. All shot standing at 11 paces, 124 grain cast lead over 6.8 grains of Accurate Arms #7 powder. THAT load chronoed a great deal better, 1100 FPS with an SD of 14.64. That one I can live with.

Now I'd love to claim THIS one was the average...

Old November 1, 2013, 12:12 AM   #2
armoredman

But these other two are a wee bit more representative.

Still I won't argue. Flawless function from the P-09, again. here they are, posing together on the line this afternoon.

So, at the end, I had two rounds left...so I dug out a coyote target, put it up, a simulated the last shot of a dying man, two rounds, weak hand only, wounded, crawling for that last few yards of desperate life in the dust as the predator circled in slowly, the dimming blood red sunset glinting on sharp snarling teeth, narrowed eyes full of hate...and I fired.

I hope he choked on me.
Old November 1, 2013, 04:44 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

Quote:
What got me was the HUGE deviation in velocities. The round is accurate, but I think due to the impossibility of a serious crimp with the way I load it causes the tensile strength holding the bullet in to be based solely on the individual brass. In 15 samples the velocity was an average of 1776
You think that the powder position might have played a role in those numbers being so spread out?

I'm thinking of using up some of that same powder in some cast 308 loads just to have something to use it in. I might give those numbers a thought when I do.
Old November 2, 2013, 11:56 PM   #4
chris in va

I cast for my CZ using the 155gr Lee mold. I should really throw a few over the chrono. Now I have to ask if you slugged your VZ, and what you're sizing those gorgeous Noe's at.

Just some FYI, my Saiga jammed hard using lead boolits. Maybe it was the rapid firing, dunno. Formed a lead ring around the piston. I even used a gas check. I know the VZ uses a system more like an SKS but still.
Old November 3, 2013, 08:52 AM   #5
ATPBULLETS

I was getting into that story you were telling about the dying mans last shot....you should write...Nice...
Old November 5, 2013, 01:49 PM   #6
armoredman

ATP, I did write a bunch of stuff in the past. Here is the first of 5 sci-fi novellas I wrote as fan fiction.

http://figment.com/books/151171-The-War-Worlds

I've off/of been working on another one, who knows whether or not I'll get around to finishing it.

chris, I sized the NOEs at .311. I haven't slugged the bore yet, no dead soft to do it with yet, but this rifle likes .311 bullets.

The biggest problem I had was working up what alloy to use - straight wheel weight leaded badly. This alloy leads not at all, barrel of gas piston/tube, which is what I was looking for to start with, then experiment with how to tweak from there. I think I will experiment with a type of taper crimp to ensure uniformity, and work up from there. I think I have some nice surprises in the future.
Old November 5, 2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Valornor

With velocities all over the place I am more inclined to think it's a powder issue...I'm not familiar with AA# 1680 but that would be my first guess.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old November 6, 2013, 06:58 PM   #8
armoredman

AA#1680 has always been very consistent in the past, other loads with different bullets from the same can give SD's of approx 30 with jacketed loads, and 60 with cast loads, probably due to those original chrono'ed were with wheel weight bullets. So I don't think it's the powder, but thanks for trying to help, I do appreciate it! Any other ideas, always open to suggestions. Trying to use the Lee FCD as a light taper crimp die, see what that does.