The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 6, 2013, 09:36 AM   #1
SVL76

1911 in 22LR

I'm looking into a dedicated 1911 chambered in 22LR...no interest in conversions.

I know of a few companies that make them, but I have no basis for comparison between the models. Any favorites out there you guys have shot and can recommend?
Old November 6, 2013, 09:46 AM   #2
ttarp

I've shot the SIG 1911-22, and it was a pretty nice shooter, I own a Browning 1911-22. Its 80% scale which seems like a deal breaker for most, but if you can get past that and the hefty price tag, its a very high quality pistol and the most reliable .22 I've shot.
Old November 6, 2013, 09:59 AM   #3
SVL76

Thank you for that advice.

The price tag doesn't seem too bad for a reliable 22LR 1911. I've never owned a Sig but I'll check that one out too.

How long have you had the Browning?
Old November 6, 2013, 10:15 AM   #4
pgdion

I looked at two of them, th4e Sig and the Browning. I didn't like the Browning because it was reduced size. Although it was a good size for a .22, that made it not really a 1911.

The Sig on the other hand is very much a 1911 but chambered in .22 so I bought the Sig. I haven't been disappointed at all. It is a blast to shoot, I can see why the 1911 is still so popular. So far the Sig has performed flawlessly and it has been quite accurate as well. It shoots reliably with everything I have tried but the higher energy ammo is more fun to shoot I think. I shoot the Super-X SS in it and that gives a little kick to the gun, just about right for a fun day of shooting.

I've heard the Sig 1911-22 is the exact same gun as the GSG (German Sports Guns) and can be had from GSG for a little less money. Of course I heard that after buying the Sig but hey, at least I can say I have a Sig.
Old November 6, 2013, 10:20 AM   #5
ttarp

I've had the Browning about two years now, I've never been able to keep accurate round counts, but I'm sure its over 1000. Magazines can be hard to find, I just recently picked one up from Cheaper than Dirt(don't judge me) for a pretty good price.
Old November 6, 2013, 10:54 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

You might also want to look at the GSG 1911-22. They actually also make the gun that has the SIG name on It. Just because of the name there may be a price difference in two versions of the same gun. Umerex, the German Airsoft company that also makes several "big gun" rimfire copies, makes a 1911-22 under the Colt name.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 6, 2013, 11:35 AM   #7
psyfly

1911 22s I have tried:

1927 Argentine (1952 manufacture) converted in the 70s by Industrias Marcati to .22lr for the Buenos Aires Police Dept. I’m hoping it’s a collector’s item so, I’ve only fired it in a function check. It worked!

Browning 1911-22 compact, functioned just fine, Cute little thing, I liked the way it felt, even though I have big hands, but I couldn’t group well with it (probably just me). I don’t have it anymore. FWIW, I do regret selling it (See Cheapshooter's rule #1).

Chiappa: Bought it used, It looked great, had feed problems, it felt “cheap” (warning, very subjective observation), didn’t keep it long enough to determine accuracy. My LGS (Kudos to Field and Streams) took it back in trade (I only kept it over the weekend, but still, good on ‘em) on a New Kimber conversion kit which has been pretty-much perfect on my SA Mil-Spec. (I don't regret trading it; violation of above-cited rule admitted).

Will
Old November 6, 2013, 07:53 PM   #8
weblance

I have the Colt/Umarex 1911-22 and so far its been very reliable. The issue with the Colt, and Sig/GSG is that they are made of a soft alloy that does eventually cause problems with wear. The slide stop notch takes a beating on these guns. The Colt has a steel reinforcing pin in the notch, so thats a plus. Both these guns have a good reputation for reliable, accurate shooting. How long will they last is a issue with some people. If you are looking for something that will last your lifetime, and can be passed down to your children, the Colt and Sig/GSG might not be a good choice.

If you are looking for an all steel 1911 22, the Armscor XT-22 gets good comments. It has a cut away slide to allow the rimfire ammo to cycle reliably. Other than that, its a very good 1911 replica. Its probably the best choice for long term durability, since it has a steel slide. I have no experience with it, only the comment of others.

https://us.armscor.com/products/xt-22-standard
Old November 6, 2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca

I believe the only one not yet mentioned (exclusing the Colt Ace, of course, which isn't in current production) is the Kimber Rimfire ... which is available either as a conversion or as a complete pistol. It shoots very nicely, but for me the combination of an aluminum slide on an aluminum frame results in a pistol that's so light that it feels like a toy. I've shot airsofts that felt more like shooting a real gun.

The Browning is nice, but IMHO overpriced (as is the Kimber) and I don't like the 80 percent scale "feature." My regular pistols are 1911s, so I want a rimfire 1911 that feels as close to the real thing as possible.

Either the GSG/SIG or the Colt/Umarex will do well for you. I think the Colt shoots a little better, but the GSG field strips more like a standard 1911.
Old November 6, 2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Noreaster

I've had a Sig 1911-22 for over two years and hundreds of rounds of ammunition with no problems at all. Magazines are a little pricey though.
Old November 6, 2013, 08:51 PM   #11
PT-92

Definitely the GSG 1911-22 (same as SIG 1911-22). To scale and very well made.
Old November 6, 2013, 09:12 PM   #12
SVL76

Lots of great info, thank you to everyone for writing in.

I think I'll have to get my hands on a few to try them out at the range. I don't see them in the cases as often so I might have better luck at a club.

I actually have shot the Kimber 22LR and really liked it. Fit and finish were exceptional and trigger pull was crisp. It was however quite light, but with some of the hotter rounds we squeezed off it was still a lot of fun.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:11 AM   #13
Brian48

I know you specifically said you weren't interested in the conversion kits, but I have to say I was like you initially. Had no interest in any of them out there. Thought they were extremely overpriced and for the price of each, I could have picked up a new gun. Resisted for decades. On a whim during my vacation visit to Maine this year, I picked a Kimber 22lr conversion kit for my SW1911. I was quite amazed by how reliable and accurate this little kit is. I see the appear now. I shoot my SW1911 almost exclusively in .22lr now instead of .45acp. I've got plenty of other 1911s for that.

Old November 9, 2013, 08:28 AM   #14
smee78

I would just start off with a conversion kit and if you like it then pick up one of the lowers with out the upper portions and go with that as a complete gun. one of my local gun smiths has one of the GSG's and has had to send it back for replacement parts (they would not send him the parts) a few times that have been wearing out due to the softer metals used in the construction. If you went with the conversion kit and decide you dont like it then it would be eaiser to get rid of.
Old November 9, 2013, 08:47 AM   #15
Auto5

I actually liked the scaled down size of the Browning, but the tiny sights and the price changed my mind.
"You'll not stand out in any way. Your entire image is crafted to leave no lasting impression on anyone you encounter. You're a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu, and dismissed just as quickly. " - Zed
Old November 9, 2013, 10:44 PM   #16
weblance

I have a Kimber conversion for my Ruger SR1911, and I agree with Brian48, its very accurate, and I enjoy shooting it more than my Colt/Umarex. I dont know why, its just "classy" Magazines are $20 and its been perfectly reliable.