The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 1, 2013, 04:04 PM   #1
TennJed

Any Colt Double Eagle MKII 45 owners? I have a couple questions

Anyone here have a Colt Double Eagle in 45 (or 10 would do) I am probably picking up one tomorrow and there is really not too much on here about them. I searched and came up with a few threads but not many or any recent.

First off, I know it is not a 1911. I will be getting it for range, fun, and add to my collection. I kinda like unique guns and my trigger style of choice is DA/SA.

1) Am I correct that they will take standard 1911 mags?

2) Will most 1911 holsters fit? From what I have read they are wider, but how much? The trigger guard seems larger than a standard 1911

From what I can gather the Mark Is has some issues, but anything bad about the Mark IIs? Do most owners seem happen with function, accuracy and lifespan?
Old November 1, 2013, 05:43 PM   #2
RickB

I don't have one, but I know that standard "1911" mags will fit in the frame (whether a given mag works in a given gun can be something of a crapshoot with 1911s and 1911 mags).
I'd be very surprised if a DE would fit in any 1911 holster. Better luck with a holster intended for the Beretta 92, I'd think. I don't think the DE is any wider through the slide or frame than a 1911; the trigger guard is the issue, being much larger and extending further down the front strap than a 1911 trigger/guard.
Old November 1, 2013, 06:16 PM   #3
PatientWolf

I have the Combat Commander in SS.

I haven't found a 1911 mag that did not work in mine. I've used a variety including Colt 8-rd, Shooting Star 8-rd, unknown 10 rd and gov't surplus 7rd all with no hitches.

The squared off and larger trigger guard will make it a non-fit in most 1911 holsters, but I have a few I've picked up over the years that work. They aren't labelled, but I'm pretty sure they were formed for Sigs and if I remember correctly, it is the P220. Or they may be from an H&K USP, which also fits.
Old November 1, 2013, 09:24 PM   #4
TennJed

Any Colt Double Eagle MKII 45 owners? I have a couple questions

Thanks guys, looks like the holster may be the only issue I do not like.

Is there any practical reason for the trigger guard? I assume it needs to have more room on the inside so the DA trigger can travel farther, but I wonder why they didn't round it off like a traditional 1911
Old November 2, 2013, 02:56 AM   #5
PatientWolf

Since the guard is squared and textured, I assume the purpose was to provide a more secure surface for the second hand when shooting two-handed.

I wouldn't let the holster scare you away. There are holsters available that fit. The only frustrating part is that the gun isn't listed on the package (probably due to its rarity).
Old November 2, 2013, 07:11 PM   #6
tony pasley

Get the M-84 and you got it covered for the range holster
to the first.' - Ronald Reagan