The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 1, 2013, 12:00 PM   #1
tahunua001

SR45 issues discussion

hello all,
I have been largely absent from the pistol boards lately but I have noticed a disproportionately high number of SR45 related troubleshooting threads in my casual perusals. I own an SR9C, it's the best 9mm I've ever owned and I know that there are alot of satisfied owners of the SR9 and SR40 handguns. so what dod ruger do to the SR45 that they haven't done to the SR9/40 that is causing so many problems?
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old November 1, 2013, 01:10 PM   #2
TunnelRat

That's funny, cause I've seen issues with the SR9 series as well. All guns can have problems. I don't think the SR45 is worse than any of the other SR series.
Old November 1, 2013, 01:22 PM   #3
tahunua001

I don't count a 6 year old recall and people getting minor peening caused by not lubing their guns as issues.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old November 1, 2013, 01:32 PM   #4
TunnelRat

How about triggers not resetting? How about failures to feed? How about failures to extract or eject? How about light strikes? Those seem like problems to me.

I'm not bashing Ruger, but acting like the SR series has been without any problems is just plain ignorance.

Last edited by TunnelRat; November 1, 2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old November 1, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5
tahunua001

I have never heard of the triggers failing to reset or FTF issues that you are citing. the light strikes are often caused by the mag disconnect and are self correcting after 300 rounds. I won't claim they are perfect but they are a lot better than a lot that's out there today.
Old November 1, 2013, 02:47 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
the light strikes are often caused by the mag disconnect and are self correcting after 300 rounds
Well as long as you don't need to defend yourself in those first 300 rounds you're good to go! Those other problems I mentioned can all be found on the Ruger forums btw.

Quote:
I won't claim they are perfect but they are a lot better than a lot that's out there today.
Such as? I'm legitimately curious.
Old November 1, 2013, 05:08 PM   #7
tahunua001

and what moron carries an unproven gun for self defense in the first place? I was under the impression that most people recommend at least 500 rounds through a gun before carrying it?
Old November 1, 2013, 05:25 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
and what moron carries an unproven gun for self defense in the first place? I was under the impression that most people recommend at least 500 rounds through a gun before carrying it?
Ah, so it's okay that it's not reliable out of the box? Good to know.

Btw, you didn't answer the second question. What brands of semiautomatic pistols is the Ruger SR series superior to in terms of reliability?

I'll also easily concede that all models of guns can and will have problems. But when people become apologists for manufacturers and start making up excuses so they can continue their illusion that THEIR brand is immune from such problems, I really start to scratch my head.
Old November 1, 2013, 05:41 PM   #9
tahunua001

funny that 1911s and kahrs get away with break in periods but ruger just can't catch a break.

I can think of Kahr, Taurus, and FN Herstal all off the top of my head that the ruger is superior in terms of overall quality, not just reliability.
Old November 1, 2013, 05:46 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
funny that 1911s and kahrs get away with break in periods but ruger just can't catch a break.
Actually I don't give them a break either.

Quote:
I can think of Kahr, Taurus, and FN Herstal all off the top of my head that the ruger is superior in terms of overall quality, not just reliability.
Well Taurus shouldn't be too hard to beat, given they're basically the bottom of the pile. I don't have much experience with Kahr, though my experience is they are certainly much smaller than Ruger (in terms of organization). What issues in particular does FN Herstal have? Certainly they do a number of things well, given their status as a supplier of military small arms to the US (the largest I think).

I see the SR series in particular having rivals more in Springfield, Smith and Wesson, and Glock (though the FN FNS is in that same factor) as those are the most similar. And to be honest I don't think it beats any of those in terms of reliability. Not that it is worse, but I don't see it beating them.

Last edited by TunnelRat; November 1, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old November 1, 2013, 06:02 PM   #11
tahunua001

Quote:
Well Taurus shouldn't be too hard to beat, given their basically the bottom of the pile. I don't have much experience with Kahr, though my experience is they are certainly much smaller than Ruger (in terms of organization). What issues in particular does FN Herstal have? Certainly they do a number of things well, given their status as a supplier of military small arms to the US (the largest I think).

I see the SR series in particular having rivals more in Springfield, Smith and Wesson, and Glock (though the FN FNS is in that same factor) as those are the most similar. And to be honest I don't think it beats any of those in terms of reliability. Not that it is worse, but I don't see it beating them.
FN Herstal has no recurring malfunctions that I'm aware of however the fit/finish of their guns leaves something to be desired and considering the very steep price tag of many of their guns(FNX and FNS average well over $600 and 5.7 averages $1100) they are not worth what FNH thinks they are worth. considering the track record of the XD, and M&P Ruger is right in league with both of them in terms of accuracy, fit and finish, and durability(if not out of box reliability). the only gun in it's price range that I would give higher marks is the beretta PX4. however comparing Glocks, XDMs, and M&P pros is a little unfair as those are outside it's price bracket, I'm sure for an additional $200 Ruger could do much to improve upon the design). I would still rate it higher than the FNS and M&P pro though(crappy triggers IMO).
Old November 1, 2013, 07:32 PM   #12
amd6547

The SR45 problems most reported are the magazine falling out, the magazine catch breaking, failure to lock back after last shot, and light strikes.
I own Rugers and like them a lot. In fact, right now, I want a Ruger American 22mag.
I was largely unaware of the SR45 until a recent thread where someone was praising the SR 45 and it's supposed advantages over the Glock.
As a very satisfied Glock owner, this put the SR45 on my radar...maybe even as a pistol I should consider.
Then, as a regular visitor to rugerforum, I started seeing the threads about the problems.
They exist.
Old November 1, 2013, 07:36 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
FN Herstal has no recurring malfunctions that I'm aware of
But mate, that's what we were talking about in the first place, reliability!

As for the FNX, quite simply put there are more parts in a hammer fired gun so that's not a fair comparison. Hammer fired guns run more expensive on average and you can save a good $200-$300 buying FN as opposed to HK (who I think FN is often in competition with). The SIG SP2022 is an option, but it's low cost is due to the French contract they have. The P95 was a decent gun at a good price, but I don't think it is in the same class as an FNX, the SP2022, or the HKs (not that it should at the cost). Also they are discontinuing it right?

Quote:
considering the track record of the XD, and M&P Ruger is right in league with both of them in terms of accuracy, fit and finish, and durability(if not out of box reliability).
Yet as far as I know no law enforcement agencies use them extensively. I know Ruger doesn't really go after law enforcement contracts, but I'm also unaware of any training schools that recommend them either. I know neither of those are the only measure of a gun, but it's still nice to have in your pocket to brag about.

Quote:
however comparing Glocks, XDMs, and M&P pros is a little unfair as those are outside it's price bracket, I'm sure for an additional $200 Ruger could do much to improve upon the design).
And there we have it. For the money the Ruger SR series is a good gun. But IMO it's still a budget gun. There's nothing wrong with it, but I personally find it a bit lacking as compared to the others. M&Ps and Glocks can be had for only $100 more. If folks can spring for it I typically recommend they save the extra. And I am aware of those brands having issues too!

Quote:
I would still rate it higher than the FNS and M&P pro though(crappy triggers IMO).
Oh it has a great trigger, I can't argue that at all. But again mate we were talking about reliability. You've branched outside the original debate so that you can show its superiority. That's okay, but that wasn't what I was arguing to begin with.

I'm not just blowing smoke. I rented an SR9c that blew me away with the trigger and shootability. The one I bought was a massive disappointment. Numerous failures to extract, failures to feed if it was just the littlest bit dirty, and a barrel that had such a poor fit to the slide I could rattle the thing and accuracy that matched the poor fit. That's just a sample of 1, and by no means indicative of the series as a whole. But there are problems with the SR series on occasion, a quick look on the Ruger forums, and here, reveals that. It's nothing to get defensive about, just don't deny reality.
Old November 1, 2013, 07:49 PM   #14
tahunua001

looking through 3 pages of the ruger forums I am seeing a reccuring theme of poor QC with the slide stop springs being improperly installed on the 40s which I was not aware was a common problem, but I'm not seeing anything to the end of FTF and FTEs except with WWB and switch ammo corrected that problem. there was a single trigger lock up(not fail to reset) which was corrected by cleaning. as I have already admitted, they are not perfect but so far I have yet to find any discernible pattern. that is also the ruger forums. if I were to have a problem with an XDM I would go straight to XDtalk for the answer. the SW forums have pages of threads dealing with aftermarket trigger options for the M&P. glocktalk is full of brass to the face and FTE threads(or at least it was pre-recall). right now all the buzz at XD talk is about the recall on the XDS.

considering the numbers of threads dealing with SR series issues on the ruger forums I see nothing drastically higher than any other specialized forum. however here on TFL is where I have noticed quite a few dealing with the SR45 where there is rarely anything about the other SR series guns(excluding SR1911) other than glowing range reviews.

Last edited by tahunua001; November 1, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old November 1, 2013, 07:52 PM   #15
TunnelRat

I'm done amigo, believe what you want.

Reset Issues:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sr9+...en-US:official

Ejection Issues:

Failure to Feed:

Last edited by TunnelRat; November 1, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old November 1, 2013, 09:59 PM   #16
ritepath

My SR45 has had a few issues, I've chimed in on several 45 threads concerning the newest ruger.

Mine had a few light strikes; one the second or third time out, then 4 the third or fourth time out, around 150-200 round mark, I removed the striker and cleaned all the leftover factory grease and there were a load of little brass shavings that I also removed. Zero issues since then...

At some point it also started to fail to lock back. I couldn't determine WTH I had done to cause this issue if anything. After reading a few threads I decided it wasn't worth sending back. I fixed this minor problem on my own in the BIOMED way.

My observations from owning a G20, M&P9c and now the SR. The mag catch design sucks arse, the Slide catch and spring design suck arse, the striker and channel setup??? well I just can't figure out that problem. Is it the striker block? It sure isn't a problem with the mag disconnect I had light strikes with and without it installed.

Now I love ruger as much as the next man, and my SR (for now) is a solid performer. I love this little gun but it needs some improvements before I would feel comfortable trusting my life with this pistol. I'd have no trouble trusting my P89, and I do trust my LCP without question.

Only time (and another 1000 rounds or so) will tell the story of my SR. One thing I do know for sure, this puppy is accurate and I love the trigger. Is it Glock or M&P quality? No, but you can find them at gun shows for 369...if Ruger would add 100 bucks in quality parts there's no doubt this would be a top notch pistol.

Then again there's thousands of SR45 owners that aren't crying on algores internets that have no problem with the pistol as it's designed now.

I read over on M4 that ruger owners were mostly berm shooters and old turds that didn't know better, maybe he was right...
Old November 2, 2013, 01:07 AM   #17
IdahoG36

My Ruger SR45 experience was short lived. I purchased a NIB SR45 back in June of this year.

First trip to the range, the very first shot I took the mag fell out onto the ground. thinking I had inadvertently hit the mag release, I loaded the mag back into the gun and shot again. Same result. Every time I shot the gun, the mag fell out. The other mag was fine. My LGS swapped out the mag for me and that issue was taken care of.

Same range trip, and next range trip, I had several FTE issues. 2-3 times per 10 round mag. I used Remington fmj, Herter's Select fmj, WWB fmj, and had issues with all of it.

Shortly after that, I got rid of the SR45. It was nothing but problems for me. On the plus side, my SR45 was extremely accurate, and I thought the trigger was excellent.

I replaced the SR45 with a Ruger SR1911.
Hk 45C, Hk VP9 9mm, Hk P30S 9mm, Walther PPQ M2 Navy SD 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm, Beretta 21A Bobcat, Spreewerke CYQ P38, Ruger LCP .380, S&W 360 SC .357 Mag, Patriot Ordnance P415, Patriot Ordnance P308, Kel Tec KSG 12ga, Swiss K31 7.5X55, BNZ 42 K98, Mosin Nagant M91/30 1934 Tula, Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary design contest rifle, Tikka T3 CTR
Old November 2, 2013, 11:34 PM   #18
passtime

When I read posts about the issues people are experiencing with the SR45 or any other firearm I think people in general are more apt to post about problems they are having opposed to smooth sailing. I believe it is mainly to find out what others have done to fix the issue. This makes it seem as if the firearms they are posting about are experiencing major problems out of the factory but in reality I am only seeing a limited side of the equation. I have an SR45 and I experienced some issues that have been completely resolved by Ruger. I posted about the issues mainly to see what others were doing to fix them and how many others were experiencing the same problems. Although my patience was wearing thin I felt assured that Ruger would eventually fix the problem and that is what they did. One of the most important parts of a purchase as far as I am concerned is how the company backs up their product because issue can a and do pop up.
Old November 3, 2013, 12:35 AM   #19

I've had an SR9 since March and an SR45 since April. Both have seen a good number of handloads with performance you're not gonna get with many factory loads. I have not had any problem whatsoever with either pistol. I've owned or had firsthand experience with polymer framed pistols going back to the introduction of the Glock 22 in 1990. One of the first HK USPs in .40 S&W in 1994 and I put a good number of rounds through an M&P 45c that belonged to my shooting partner while I owned an XDm 4.5 in .45 ACP. There's not one of them I would choose over the Ruger SR poly. Not in 9mm, not in 45 ACP. The Ruger is the slimmest while being the strongest made. It's also the most accurate for me of the lot.

Some people inevitably think they have to spend HK money that only impresses me in how much HK charges for a polymer framed pistol, and evidently there are those willing to pay their price. Some of these same shooters will turn around and feed that same HK with the cheapest Russian steel-cased ammo they can find. It's all about perspective.
Old November 3, 2013, 01:07 AM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
Some of these same shooters will turn around and feed that same HK with the cheapest Russian steel-cased ammo they can find.
What's wrong with that, exactly? I would hope for the $800+ I paid it would be able to digest anything. Heck it should reload cartridges for me.
Old November 3, 2013, 08:39 AM   #21
lee n. field

Quote:
First trip to the range, the very first shot I took the mag fell out onto the ground. thinking I had inadvertently hit the mag release, I loaded the mag back into the gun and shot again. Same result. Every time I shot the gun, the mag fell out. The other mag was fine. My LGS swapped out the mag for me and that issue was taken care of.

Same range trip, and next range trip, I had several FTE issues. 2-3 times per 10 round mag. I used Remington fmj, Herter's Select fmj, WWB fmj, and had issues with all of it.

Shortly after that, I got rid of the SR45
I think I'll hold onto my P90 for a while yet.

"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 3, 2013, 09:19 AM   #22
khegglie

^^^

P90... one of the best they ever made.
Old November 3, 2013, 09:39 AM   #23
Hitthespot

Quote:
I've had an SR9 since March and an SR45 since April. Both have seen a good number of handloads with performance you're not gonna get with many factory loads. I have not had any problem whatsoever with either pistol. I've owned or had firsthand experience with polymer framed pistols going back to the introduction of the Glock 22 in 1990. One of the first HK USPs in .40 S&W in 1994 and I put a good number of rounds through an M&P 45c that belonged to my shooting partner while I owned an XDm 4.5 in .45 ACP. There's not one of them I would choose over the Ruger SR poly. Not in 9mm, not in 45 ACP. The Ruger is the slimmest while being the strongest made. It's also the most accurate for me of the lot.
I feel the same way. I've owned both a SR40c and a SR9c. Both have been perfect since day one. Way over a thousand rounds through my SR9c with not one hiccup. I trust this firearm as much as my GLock, and my M&P40, so much so that I sold my M&P40 to keep the SR40c. I'm now trying a GLock 27 and see no advantages this gun is over the Ruger. In fact the trigger isn't as nice, it doesn't look as nice, it doesn't shoot as accurate for me, it's way more punishing on the hand to shoot, and the the handle is just way too thick compared to the Ruger. UNLESS I'm reading a lot about a certain problem with a gun, I usually try to take it in context. Anything mass produced can have a few problems. I just pray I'm not the one getting the lemon.

Last edited by Hitthespot; November 3, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old November 3, 2013, 11:29 AM   #24
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I think I'll hold onto my P90 for a while yet.
Can't say I blame you. They are not just tank tough, they are just as reliable. Same for the P89. The P90 was designed to be a +p shooter from the get go.

While we are mentioning the P series, seems they had more issues with the Polymer models than the metal frames. Somewhere and somehow something went the wrong way. But it happens to every one at some point. Doesn't mean things won't be fixed and improved.
Old November 3, 2013, 05:24 PM   #25

Quote:
What's wrong with that, exactly? I would hope for the $800+ I paid it would be able to digest anything. Heck it should reload cartridges for me.
Yeah, I would expect it digest anything as well. That's exactly what my SR's do and both see a number of +P handloads down to light cast bullet handloads in the SR45.

The problem with Tula or Wolf ammo for me, other than I don't like steel cased ammunition, is how much does the average worker earn in a Russian ammunition plant? What is the level of their quality control? What type of powder are they using and how do they safeguard against overcharges? etc.