The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 19, 2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Theohazard

The SWR Octane: Best Pistol Can on the Market?

For those of you contemplating your first suppressor purchase, might I suggest my favorite pistol can on the market, the Octane? After deciding between the SWR Octane 9, the Silencerco Osprey 9, and the AAC Ti-Rant 9, I decided on the Octane. Here's why:

-All three are pretty much the same as far as loudness; they're all pretty darn quiet.
-They're all about the same size and are all within an ounce of each other.
-The Octane and the Ti-Rant are the only ones that can be disassembled.
-The Octane and the Ti-Rant are the only ones that can have their piston mount changed out without a tool.
-The Octane is the only one that can be disassembled without tools.
-The Octane is the only one with all stainless steel baffles; the Osprey has aluminum baffles with a stainless first baffle and the Ti-Rant has all aluminum baffles (the titanium in the Ti-Rant is just the tube, which mostly just makes the finish come off if you look at it wrong).
-The Osprey and the Octane are the only ones with 5/8x24 mounts available for mounting on a 300 Blackout rifle (subsonic only).
-The Octane is the only one that works well with .22. The Ti-Rant and Octane both come apart for cleaning, but if you shoot .22 in the Ti-Rant the baffles will basically weld themselves into the tube because of the baffle design. And the aluminum baffles will make it much harder to clean (you can't use the dip, for example). The Octane's baffles are stainless and designed in such a way to keep almost all the fouling inside the baffles; it's basically a Spectre 2 but bigger. (This also helps make the Octane extremely strong). Because of this baffle design the Octane is MUCH easier to clean when leaded up than any other center-fire pistol can on the market. And after shooting the Octane 9 on a Ruger MkIII after a company rep suggested it, I can tell you it's quieter with .22 than any dedicated .22 can on the market.

So, to sum it up, the Octane is in the top tier of the quietest pistol cans on the market, it's user serviceable, has stainless steel baffles, can be completely disassembled without tools, can be mounted on almost anything you can think of (including 300 Blackout rifles and HK MP5 3-lug mounts), and it also works great on a .22 and is quieter with .22 than any dedicated .22 can out there. That's why it's my favorite pistol can on the market right now.
Old October 29, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
scsov509

I sell a lot of Silencerco products, and wholly agree the Octane 9 is a wonderful can for all the reasons you mention and more. That said, I think the Liberty Mystic deserves to be in the conversation when we're talking about best pistol cans on the market. Compared to the Octane 9 it's a little heavier, but it's also less expensive, better looking, and rated for a much wider range of uses. The Mystic first got my interest when looking at 9mm cans that could also be used for 300 BLK, and looking at the Mystic I found it's rated for a variety of different calibers including 223, 7.62x39, and 300 BLK in either subsonic or supersonic.

So I love the Octane, don't get me wrong. But I really do think the Mystic deserves some consideration if we're talking best pistol can on the market.
Old October 29, 2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Theohazard

I don't have any personal experience with the Mystic, but I've heard really good things about it. Here's my take on it from what I do know (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong): It seems like a jack-of-all trades and a master of none.

It works on 5.56 and 7.62x39, but you have to maintain a very low rate of fire so you don't destroy it. And even then I'd worry about its longevity with rifle rounds; even with an all-inconel full-auto-rated rifle can you'll still wear it out eventually. With a 9mm can like the Mystic I would really worry about wear if I shot it too much or too fast with rifle rounds.

And the Mystic is noticeably longer and heavier than the Octane, which makes a big difference to me. It also is a monocore design so I would worry about getting more first round pop. And the monocore design is probably a pain to disassemble if you shoot .22 or lead through it; it looks like it comes apart like the AAC prodigy .22 suppressor, and that one is a pain to get apart when it's dirty.

So it seems to me that if you want one can to do it all, the Mystic is the way to go. But if you want a dedicated pistol can there are better options, and if you want a rifle can there are much better options. Am I pretty much on the right track here?
Old October 29, 2013, 11:10 PM   #4
scsov509

I think your assessment is fair as far as the Mystic being exceptionally versatile, but certainly not ideally suited for many of the calibers for which it's rated. I will say that tests of the Octane and Mystic side-by-side on a pistol show the Mystic to be quieter, but then again the Mystic is as you pointed out also longer and heavier. So I think it's somewhat a matter of preference here depending on if one wants the versatility and increased sound reduction of the Mystic, or the smaller size and lighter weight of the Octane. Both are exceptional cans, you certainly couldn't go wrong with either.
Old November 1, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5
HKGuns

The SWR Octane: Best Pistol Can on the Market?

I agree with your assessment, my Octane45 HD is sitting in jail waiting for a stamp.