The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 27, 2013, 05:10 PM   #26
SauerGrapes

Maybe the RO isn't as Purdy as my Colts, but the fit on mine is just as good as the Colts. I was less than thrilled with the plastic MSH on my Colt Combat Elite and the trigger was horrible for a $1000 1911.
That said, The gun shoots and functions flawless. After fitting a new trigger and cleaning up the mush, it's a solid gun.

As for accuracy, my CGCT and RO run neck and neck. I'd hate to have to live on the difference.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old October 27, 2013, 11:00 PM   #27
Constantine

Range Officer or Colt Trophy?

Just want to go on record. I got cold feet with selling my last Colt/1911. Just couldn't do it.

Sorry Darryl! Good luck and hope you find a nice Colt.
Old October 28, 2013, 10:44 AM   #28
High Desert

Range Officer or Colt Trophy ?

People who shoot the RO say it will give you the accuracy for match shooting, do not know personally.
What I do know about are Colt 1911's and the quality that the current models come out of the box with, dependability, accuracy, resale value although why would one sell their Colt and knowing you are now the proud owner of the Best Factory built 1911 pistol one can purchase.
My first Colt 1911 was a GCNM, built 41 years ago that will shot one hole groups with 3.5 gr Bullseye and a 200 gr lswc from Bayou bullets. The new Colts being built are the same quality as that old master piece of Gunsmithing built 41 years ago. The Colt 1911 is the original while all others are just copies.
Old October 28, 2013, 11:54 AM   #29
3.Shot.Group.

Personally, I think it's inaccurate to comment on the fit and function of a gun before you've put 2000 rounds down range with it.

I'm sure that Savage and Colt had a lot of great things to say about their guns back when the Army was looking for a new pistol, but in the end it was practical testing that proved who's gun was the most reliable.

Still, to some degree or another, it is fact that accuracy and reliability are mutually conclusive. Improve one and the other tends to suffer. Also, the more rounds you put through a 1911 the more reliable it tends to get, due to wear of tight fitting parts.

So to get the best of both worlds, you have to start with good metallurgy, add in precision fitting with future wear patterns in mind, give it a good break in, and you end up with a fairly accurate and reliable gun. That sort of accuracy and reliability most often requires a little work here and there, if not, you got lucky.

I think most people, me included, expect to buy guns that are at that point right out of the box, but it's seldom the case, and that sort of accuracy and reliability is akin to building a performance automobile, if you want it run better than stock, you have to do some custom work to it. Or pay someone else to do it for you.

I can't say how accurate/reliable Colts are from the factory, and I'm not ready to believe everything I hear about them, partly because I've good and bad, and partly because I've heard a lot of good about Springers that wasn't completely true, which leads me to believe that most of what you read on the internet is Advertising.

Personally I think that if you buy a good basic 1911, and have it custom refined by a known master gunsmith, you'll end up at about the same dollar amount AND you'll know for a fact that you have a good gun.
Old October 28, 2013, 12:08 PM   #30
Constantine

Quote:
I think it's inaccurate to comment on the fit and function of a gun before you've put 2000 rounds down range with it.
And that's why I don't like 1911's for anything other than range fun.

Last edited by Constantine; October 28, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:32 PM   #31
SauerGrapes

Quote:
Just want to go on record. I got cold feet with selling my last Colt/1911. Just couldn't do it. Sorry Darryl! Good luck and hope you find a nice Colt.
I would have a tough time selling any of my 1911s, Colt or otherwise. I'm sure Darryl will find something that strikes his fancy.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old October 28, 2013, 08:55 PM   #32
baddarryl

As I first said there is a fantastic Colt Trophy for sale used in town, but it is blue which I hesitated at. After this thread I am going to go take another look.
Old October 28, 2013, 11:23 PM   #33
ripnbst

I'd prefer blue but that's nothin more than a personal choice.
Old October 31, 2013, 08:51 PM   #34
baddarryl

Well I picked up a brand new Range Officer today. Considering the accessories and its reputation along with a sales price of $699 I couldn't pass it up! I am sure I will be quite happy with it! Thanks everyone! By the way it pays to shop. I saw the same gun at Gander Mountain near Charlotte for $849 I think the same morning.

Last edited by baddarryl; November 1, 2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old October 31, 2013, 10:30 PM   #35
Constantine

Pics. Pics. Pics.
Old October 31, 2013, 11:44 PM   #36
Fishbed77

Quote:
Considering the accessories and its reputation along with a sales price of $699 I couldn't pass it up!
That's a heck of a deal!

Now we need photos.
Old November 1, 2013, 05:08 AM   #37
rebs

yes please post some pics
Old November 1, 2013, 07:26 AM   #38
spacecoast

I got mine for $680, including a really nice case, two mags, a paddle holster and a mag holster. I've only shot around 200 rounds, but not a single issue yet. For the price I don't think it can be beat. The Rugers look a little nicer in stainless but I'll take the Springfield shooting-wise any day, not to mention the Ruger front sight issues.

Old November 1, 2013, 07:52 AM   #39
baddarryl

I could post the pic above, but don't want to be redundant. Here ya go:

Old November 1, 2013, 10:06 PM   #40
SauerGrapes

You'll like the RO. For 700 bucks, they are arguably the best bang for the buck.

R.I.P.____Murphy