The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 1, 2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Colduglandon

Ruger Mark III

I have a red dot on my Mark III. I have had it on there for a couple of years. Never thought much about it when I put it on there. Should the red dot be mounted as far back as possible. It dawned on me that the sight picture might bounce around less if it was further back on the gun. Any thoughts. I am getting older and its getting harder to hold the point of aim steady in the match. Just Wondering.
Old November 1, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

It doesn't really matter where on the gun you have it mounted. The primary consideration of placing it is being able to get at the features/controls on the gun and where you think it balances the best. I have quite a few guns with dot sights on them and I've been using them for probably 25 years or longer. I shot competition for years using dots and I'm pretty familiar with them. I've always placed them on the mount to achieve balance and access to controls as stated. The sight picture doesn't really change with these types of sights.
Old November 1, 2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Colduglandon

ok thanks for your reply. I have the flexibility to move the red dot back a bit without affecting the operation of the gun, I will move it back and see if it s any more comfortable shooting it with more weight to the rear. Can't hurt.
Old November 1, 2013, 04:42 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

I generally have mine as close to being over the center of my hand as possible. Not possible on a revolver but close on an automatic. You're headed in the right direction.
Old November 1, 2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Pahoo

Keep both eyes open

Should not make a big difference as far as functionality. This would have to be your call on what feels better to you. ....

Now then, keep in mind that the closer to your eye, the bigger the internal field and the smaller, the external field. For me, If I am consistent and maintain good technique, I prefer the larger external field, so prefer it to be further away. I know a few long-gunners that like to have them way up front. If some could, they would mount them on the end of the barrel. Just makes for faster target acquisition. One important point, is to keep both eyes open. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 1, 2013, 07:35 PM   #6
ammo.crafter

dot

I have one mounted on my Ruger MK1 and it does not matter how close or far it is mounted.
I use this set up for PPC competition and I routinely win matches against S&W 41'a and other high-end .22 pistols.

Good luck and have fun.