The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 29, 2013, 06:11 AM   #26
ritepath

Look on the bright side.....when your SR45 functions properly it's one accurate Motherbleeper. Mine has what I believe to be the best striker fired stock trigger I've ever felt.

I still think some improvements are needed with the Mag catch and mag release button. Along with a complete redo of the slide catch lever and spring attachment. And something needs done with the striker/channel to stop the light strike problem some see.
Old October 29, 2013, 02:46 PM   #27
passtime

ritepath: (I still think some improvements are needed with the Mag catch and mag release button. Along with a complete redo of the slide catch lever and spring attachment. And something needs done with the striker/channel to stop the light strike problem some see. )

+1 on that.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:46 AM   #28
Rogervzv

When the gun comes back, it will surely be fixed and will undoubtedly give you decades of good service.

I've been buying Ruger firearms since the 80s. I still have all of them and all of them work perfectly. My SR40c absolutely rocks. I would own an SR1911 but you cannot buy them in Democrat California.
Old October 31, 2013, 01:26 PM   #29
passtime

I received my repaired SR45 from Ruger yesterday. A total of 400 rounds have been fired through it without any type of malfunction. I believe Ruger got it right this time. Man, this is a nice shooting firearm...

20 rounds of Federal HST at 25 yards:

Last edited by passtime; October 31, 2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old October 31, 2013, 06:35 PM   #30
WildBill45

shipped the SR45 last Monday, it will be back this Monday! This is great service I must say!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old October 31, 2013, 06:51 PM   #31
WildBill45

I have owned almost every major brand of pistol ... especially duty guns ... over the last 35 years! As a cop I tried to find the PERFECT GUN, and spent thousands to find it ... NEVER DID ... it doesn't exist. I had a Glock, sold it, Sig sold it, Colt sold it, Kimber sold it, Walther sold it, S&W sold it, Detonics sold it, Ruger sold it, Beretta 92 sold it, Wilson CQB sold it, Springfield Custom .45 sold it, and so many others, and multiple models of all the above brands and more! I have had more problems with autos than revolvers ... period, and had just as many wheelguns as autos... I do not have one brand I am totally loyal to as some of the naysayers here on the forum who attack when someone has a problem with anything other than the gun they choose. I shot most the above guns a lot since I was sponsored by ammo makers to shoot in the World Police and Fire Games ... and test them to the max, plus reloaded, etc...

No one brand is perfect, and most are good most of the time! I have had cheap guns like the Makarov be more dependable than custom guns, Every brand of .380 I owned, and that was many not listed here, had issues feeding. I had a new Colt commander in the 70's go full auto on me at a police range. The expensive Springfield .45 was a jamamatic, Walther .380's and Sigs were jammers, and the list goes on and on... The Wilson was perfect during the time I owned it, as was the Beretta 92 and Makarov, my second gen S&W duty gun, first stainless single/double action 9mm was perfect as well although I didn't like it because it pointed low for me, The Glock 17 original was very good, but I didn't keep it long, and my S&W model 19 was my mate!

So lighten up on the negative comments ... I have been to a few rodeos and know the rough side of the dirt ... OK?

To those who have understanding of all of the above, thanks for the helpful comments...

Hope to have a happy update soon. I will put the mag release through hundreds of dry runs before shooting again...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Last edited by WildBill45; October 31, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old October 31, 2013, 10:04 PM   #32
jbrown27

"Lighten up on the negative comments" Huh?? What did you expect to get when you post a video about a brand new pistol breaking in the first few shots. The video was the most negative thing in this whole thread IMO. I don't think you posted it to rave about your new ruger. Quite the opposite it seemed to me. Sorry its just that the paragraph you wrote about no gun or gun maker is perfect is odd coming from someone that posted a video of a new gun failing. Why post the video if you believe what you wrote. Just curious.
Tri Star T-120 Taurus TCP 738
Old October 31, 2013, 10:39 PM   #33
Dragline45

Quote:
"Lighten up on the negative comments" Huh?? What did you expect to get when you post a video about a brand new pistol breaking in the first few shots.
That can happen with any brand and any model pistol regardless of price or quality. I have had to send guns back to S&W, Sig, Ruger, and just recently Beretta. Machines are prone to failure, it has to be expected from time to time. Some people see an example of a pistol failing and use it as an reason to bash that company saying they make a bad product. But the truth is it happens to ever brand of gun no matter how expensive. It would be one thing if the majority of pistols put out by a certain company were prone to failure, but it's simply not the case in this situation. Comments like saying Ruger is garbage, should have got a Glock are ignorant and unhelpful.

Last edited by Dragline45; November 1, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old November 4, 2013, 11:21 AM   #34
WildBill45

Quote:
Good thing you weren't using it as a SD weapon.
Well, that depends! IT didn't have a problem until the mag was empty, the gun worked fine, the mag release was broke. If I was able to take out my attacker with the first ten shots, my backup knife, and martial arts skills, then it wouldn't be an issue ... would it?

Other issues such as jamming would be a tad more serious in that regard, eh?

Old February 14, 2014, 10:33 AM   #35
Metal god

So hows it working ???? no update

I pick up my new SR45 today and now may have some regrets .
As of this date 8-18-14 at 6:42am I became a proud grandfather I guess I'm officially old
Old February 15, 2014, 12:41 AM   #36
Metal god

Put 150rds through my NIB SR45 today . It shot well with no issues . That gun can shoot very accurately . So far so good . I'll wait till I get 500+ rounds through it before I start saying how great it is .
As of this date 8-18-14 at 6:42am I became a proud grandfather I guess I'm officially old
Old February 15, 2014, 10:40 PM   #37
Clipper

Don't use steel cased ammo in American guns. Just don't.

Because I said so.
Old February 15, 2014, 10:43 PM   #38
Clipper

And.... Bill Ruger would not approve of striker fired pistols bearing his name.

Dark days for Ruger.
Old February 15, 2014, 10:47 PM   #39
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Over at the Ruger forum, there are several threads about mag release issues with the SR's. Mainly, issues with magazines falling out while firing
My buddy has the same issue with his LC9. After two trips to Ruger, they seem to have fixed the issue.
Old February 15, 2014, 10:48 PM   #40
Dragline45

Quote:
And.... Bill Ruger would not approve of striker fired pistols bearing his name.

Dark days for Ruger.
And if Bill Ruger was around his stubborn old self would have ran the company into the ground. This is the same guy that refused to make any of his guns with mag capacities greater than 10 rounds. It's no surprise that when he died Ruger immediately started making high capacity mags.

One of the topics that came up in my business classes back in college was older generations running businesses who refused to keep up with current trends and were stuck in their old ways. Many of the examples given showed that these same people ran their companies out of business or close to it. Your products should dictate what your customer base want's, and not the other way around. After all, they are the ones buying them.
Old February 15, 2014, 10:51 PM   #41
Clipper

Quote:
And if Bill Ruger was around his stubborn old self would have ran the company into the ground. This is the same guy that refused to make any of his guns with mag capacities greater than 10 rounds. It's no surprise that when he died Ruger immediately started making high capacity mags.
Oh I know all about the 10rd or less rule he had... that and the Mini-14/30 are my two biggest beefs I have with him. He wasn't always right but he sure knew how to make reliable centerfire pistols. I'm sure he wouldn't be too pleased to know his pocket pistols are sporting plastic guide rods.
Old February 15, 2014, 10:57 PM   #42
Dragline45

Quote:
I'm sure he wouldn't be too pleased to know his pocket pistols are sporting plastic guide rods.
I don't mind plastic guide rods. Not only do they have self lubricating properties, but they are less susceptible to being damaged. They have more flex, so if it bends it will go back to it's original form, where a metal guide rod wont. If you want to make the argument that it is easier to snap a plastic guide rod than a metal one, well sure, but the force used to snap that plastic guide rod would bend a metal one enough to where it was no good anymore. It's like the arguments about the 10/22 plastic vs metal trigger housings. The plastic trigger housings are actually an improvement and much stronger.
Old February 15, 2014, 11:06 PM   #43
Clipper

Ok.. you feel alright knowing the plastic guide rod might be exposed to extreme temperatures for the next 20+ years n' the next owner will inherit something reliable?
Old February 15, 2014, 11:07 PM   #44
James K
Staff

Hi, WildBill,

Sorry about the problem, but I just watched the video and I don't think much of your gun handling technique. I realize that you seem to be alone on the range and at the left end but you were pointing that gun at where the body of another shooter would have been. Please take care and always keep a gun, even one you think is unloaded or inoperable, pointed in a safe direction.

Jim
Old February 16, 2014, 11:52 AM   #45
Dragline45

Quote:
Ok.. you feel alright knowing the plastic guide rod might be exposed to extreme temperatures for the next 20+ years n' the next owner will inherit something reliable?
You are worried about the longevity of a plastic guide rod when the entire frame is made of plastic?
Old February 16, 2014, 12:08 PM   #46
Shane Tuttle
Staff

OK, the OP hasn't posted since way back in November and this is getting off the beaten path.

Closed.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Closed Thread