The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Zombie Discussion Forum

Old October 28, 2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Beretta686

Guns on The Walking Dead

Since we're on zombies, I've always struggled to be a The Walking Dead fan, especially when it's compared to Breaking Bad's truly epic performance (even with it's disappointing, Walt-magically-gets-everything-he-wants series finale).

On TWD, with the stupidity of the characters, horrible accents (Maggie Green), characters you prayed would be feasted on by zombies (Lori Grimes and Andrea), Old McDonald Had a Farm of a 2nd season, idiotic ending of the 3rd season, I'm surprised the zombies haven't realized there's no brains in the whole prison and gone elsewhere.

But as someone who knows about guns, watching it is even worse. The characters are constantly spraying-and-praying on full-auto throughout the 3rd season as though they have the unlimited ammo option (and you thought ammo prices sucked now, just wait for the Zombacalypse). The Governor becomes Annie Okaley with a headshot then forgets everything about marksmanship and just sprays rounds everywhere. Then there's all these exotic weapons people keep getting, as though MP5s, AUGs and such will just be laying around after the Zombacalypse. And I haven't even started on the super-duper high-cap magazines they seem to have.

Am I the only one who starts to roll their eyes every time there's gunplay on the TWD?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 28, 2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Nine the Ranger

I've seen about 3/4 of an episode, I only really saw a bolt action of some kind, and a Python.

Must have been an early episode.

'In a Man to Man fight, the Winner is He who has one more round in his magazine.'-Erwin Rommel
Old October 28, 2013, 04:59 PM   #3
g.willikers

The crossbow, knives and spears are authentic, aren't they?
Old October 28, 2013, 05:05 PM   #4
leadcounsel

Spoiler alerts

Overall, I like to see guns in positive survival roles in movies and TV. MORE gun owners is a good thing. And there is a large number of people that see gun use in survival movies/TV and want to own them. Again, a good thing.

WD gun use is good at times, and dumb at times. I, too, was super annoyed with the lack of recoil, unlimited ammo at times (Hershal never reloads that 12 gauge!), bullet proof wood doors, etc. I was angry at the show when the Governor has a (very rare) fully auto Steyr, and then fires it randomly full auto for a really long time. Absolutely stupid from both a writer standpoint and survival/realism standpoint. One-handed, on the run, headshots are all too common. Misses are rare. How many crossbow bolts does Daryl have, and don't they ever break? Guns never jam?

When you factor in all the tens of millions of guns that would be abandoned or dropped, and the ammo left behind, one 'could' amass a nice collection and pick from the best of the best. We did see the Gov masterfully take down a National Guard unit and take their gear. So it's not impossible. HOWEVER, conserving that ammo would still be a priority. So, spray and pray is just silly, especially when we've SEEN the Governor take down a military unit, then wildly assault the prison... just inconsistent and dumb. It's the standard old rule that the villain is super smart at killing everyone but suddenly becomes really dumb and bad at killing the hero...

Season 1. Awesome. Noted issues were only a few 'cha click chunk' when people point pistols at each other, some silly gun play, a few dumb points, no recoil from guns, etc. Lot's of improbable 25 yard head shots and few misses from mostly 'gun rookies.' But otherwise, among the best Zombie 'movies' out there. The loss of main group members gave it a feeling of reality. 4.5/5 stars.

Season 2 - Hershal's Farm. Very good. Some really dumb decisions, such as leaving Sophie in the woods. But this season was really well done. It became 'soap opera' at times, but not dull and it was excellent character development. What sets WD ahead of other movies is the opportunity for character development, and it delivers. Zombie movies are only good when you CARE if people live or die. And when some key people wrestle with morality, where there is not a 'right' answer, it's really excellent horror/scifi/drama. For instance: Whether to save the attacker stuck on the fence, and then what to do with him. Whether to carry your guns or respect Hershal's rules. Shane's big surprises at the school/medical run. Crisis of confidence in leadership tactics. They continued to kill off main characters, giving it a feeling of reality. Excellent season. 4.5/5.

Season 3. The Prison. The prison started off excellent with the clearing of the prison. The Governor situation had promise, but just became extremely stupid and unrealistic. The thunderdome fights, Andrea soap opera, the silly gun play, assaults on the prison, assaults on the town, the Govenor's weird behavior with the zombies and collecting, etc. The ending Governor actions. The gun play and assault tactics just really annoyed me. The counter intuitive behavior of full frontal assaults, wasting ammo, no main characters get shot in the exchange of thousands of rounds, etc.

And re-introducing Meryl was plain dumb and unbelievable due to the remote odds that he would have survived his unsurvivable wound, and then run into Andrea and the group. Not plausible. First, Meryl was dehydrated left on ATL rooftop in the summer for hours. Then sawed his hand off with an old hacksaw, cutting through flesh, bones, nerves, and major arteries. He'd pass out and go into shock and bleed out. But I know people have done this and survived with IMMEDIATE modern medical care... so I can suspend disbelief temporarily. Then, though, he fights through and kills several zombies and cauterizes his would with a searing iron. And after all that blood loss, pain, dehydration, hunger, lack of weapons, he escapes the city where there are thousands of zombies on every street. Ooookkkaaayyyy....

Next, think about the size AND distances of the greater Atlanta area. We last saw Meryl in ATL, a year prior. The group had since left ATL heading south to Ft. Benning, 70 miles away when it stopped at the farm, and then fled the farm in a random direction. A year and the random miles/direction later, the odds that their trajectory would intersect with Woodbury is so remote as to be inconceivable.

I am willing to suspend reality to enjoy a zombie or sci fi movie. However, I still expect the world, human behavior, science, odds, etc. to be consistent.

The show just went off the deep end of stupid. First few episodes were 4 stars. Meryl, the Governor, Andrea, etc.. The Last 2/3rd of the season was disappointing and is 2/5 stars.

Season 4. For the show to continue to be interesting, the group must be faced with serious zombie crisis and be on the move. The first two episodes have set this up. The infiltration of the virus into the prison, main people sick and dying, will cause the group to abandon their comfort zone, the prison. And if the virus isn't enough, that 7000 zombie horde is down the road from the prison and the would overrun the prison grounds if they find it. And there could be other zombie herds. The virus and zombie herds add a whole level of threat that keeps this interesting.
2A: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF (2008, 2009, 2010) and OND (2011). Bronze Star Medal and Meritorious Service Medal recipient. NRA Lifetime Member. I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer and I have not offered you legal advice.

Last edited by leadcounsel; October 28, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old October 28, 2013, 06:03 PM   #5
David13

That old farm guy, who I can't stand, had a shotgun that fired 50 rounds straight. A pump action, I think.
When you have guns like that on there, it makes up for all the other lousy stuff, accents, bad acting, bad script, etc.
dc
Old October 28, 2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Beretta686

Quote:
That old farm guy, who I can't stand, had a shotgun that fired 50 rounds straight.
THAT must be why I keep seeing people putting heatshields on their shotguns.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 28, 2013, 06:36 PM   #7
SPEMack618

About the only thing I like about the "Walking Dead" in regards to guns is Rick's Python.
Big Sister: "Can you not afford a Pelican? Then buy an Allen gun bag."
Old October 28, 2013, 09:18 PM   #8
ChrisTx

I paused the TV once because something just did not look right. The iron sight on a flattop AR was on backwards.
Old October 28, 2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Constantine

Maggie has a SIG P226.

Glenn has a Glock 17 that probably belonged to Shane.

T-Dog had a Glock 19.

Rick has a Colt Python .357.

Darryl has a Browning High-Power that Carl took.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old October 28, 2013, 10:02 PM   #10
Crankgrinder

"Then sawed his hand off with an old hacksaw, cutting through flesh, bones, nerves, and major arteries. He'd pass out and go into shock and bleed out. But I know people have done this and survived with IMMEDIATE modern medical care... so I can suspend disbelief temporarily. Then, though, he fights through and kills several zombies and cauterizes his would with a searing iron." Far fetched ill agree, but im very confident that there have been live people who have done very close to exactly this.
Old October 28, 2013, 10:20 PM   #11
leadcounsel

Quote:
Far fetched ill agree, but im very confident that there have been live people who have done very close to exactly this.
Yes, as I also said, you do hear of it from time to time. But for every person that survives, there's probably thousands that died from severed arteries and limbs. And those are people with immediate access to medical treatment...

Loss of blood, infection, dehydration... he wouldn't have survived. Then sprinkle in a 4 story climb down the side of a building and evading/fighting hordes of zombies. Absurd. His return, and the Governor, were nearly enough to turn me off to the show.
2A: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF (2008, 2009, 2010) and OND (2011). Bronze Star Medal and Meritorious Service Medal recipient. NRA Lifetime Member. I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer and I have not offered you legal advice.
Old October 28, 2013, 10:44 PM   #12
tgreening

Remember that hiker that caught his arm stuck in some boulders and couldn't get out? Was there a couple days or something and ended up hacking off his own arm with a pocket knife or some crap, and then walked his way out.

I thought Meryls rescue team found where he had ended up almost immediately in some kind of kitchen where he had cauterized his stump. Been a while but I seem to recall something along those lines. Anyway, I could picture him surviving, but I admit everybody bumping into each other again is a bit of a stretch. Hated to see Meryl go. He was such a jack you couldn't help but love to hate him.

I DO remember grandpa trying to reload that shotgun at least once. Once.

I learned a long time ago (Arnie and Sly days) to turn off the brain when it came to anything firearm related.
Old October 29, 2013, 06:44 AM   #13
kozak6

Yeah, the guns bug me a bit. Lots of missing sights on M4's and other railed guns. Way too many rare and exotic automatic weapons, and (almost) no conservation of ammo.

I was completely shocked when I saw a reloading press in Woodbury. It's not surprising if the writers are completely unaware of such things. But seeing the reloading press there means that someone knew what it was and put it there. And that he was the only person on the whole damn crew who knew what it was.

Merle was such a fantastic character that I was willing to overlook the odds of a successfully performed hacksaw amputation, and the bayonet was so awesome it more than makes up for it.
Old October 29, 2013, 04:54 PM   #14
doofus47

"that'll be short"

I said when a friend told me that TWD takes place in Georgia.
Whaddya mean? he asked.
I used to live in Texas. I've seen stuff decompose in 90 degree heat. It doesn't take long. I figure in about 2 weeks all the walking dead would be a pile of not-so-walking bones. So, 2 weeks and the zombie apocalypse is over. My completely unscientific prediction. For those of us in colder climes, the zombies will have to figure out how to not freeze solid ovenight.

my 2c. Offered for free.
B/c I care.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:29 PM   #15
David13

Quote:

"I DO remember grandpa trying to reload that shotgun at least once. Once. "

Maybe he did try to reload it. Maybe he did reload it. If so, I didn't see that, it could have been when I went to get another candy bar. But when I came back, it was still shooting.
dc
Old October 29, 2013, 09:39 PM   #16
leadcounsel

Quote:
Remember that hiker that caught his arm stuck in some boulders and couldn't get out? Was there a couple days or something and ended up hacking off his own arm with a pocket knife or some crap, and then walked his way out.
In his case, it was astounding. I believe it was reported that he was able to do this because his arm was crushed and had died due to no blood flow. When he cut through it, the dead limb didn't bleed much. And he did pass out a few times I believe. He also didn't have to fight through zombies, evade and escape.

Yep, there are some rare examples of people cutting through their legs, arms, whatever with small saws and even pocket knives. While it *can* happen in probably 1 in 1,000,000 cases, to think that Meryl is one of them is a real stretch.

I didn't care for Meryl's character truthfully. Stereotype that I don't care for regarding 'rednecks' from the south.... imagine the uproar if other stereotypes were shown from the Atlanta area...

On topic, Rick's python is sweet. But I agree I'd rather have a GP100. I like the Glocks, SW gen 3, and a few others.

I was astounded when they weren't collecting up all the guns from the CDC when they arrived. I know they were short on time, but I'd have been grabbing at least a few rifles and backpacks full of mags. How about that M2!?!? (I know they left in a hurry...)
Old October 30, 2013, 07:09 AM   #17
Beretta686

Quote:
I was astounded when they weren't collecting up all the guns from the CDC when they arrived. I know they were short on time, but I'd have been grabbing at least a few rifles and backpacks full of mags. How about that M2!?!? (I know they left in a hurry...)
I never got that either.

They're running around with all these dinky hunting rifles and shotguns, when they could of policed up all kinds of modern weaponry from the CDC.

I need to give up my government job and become a firearms consultant for Hollywood.

Old October 30, 2013, 09:10 AM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

IIRC Lori had a Colt Detective Special that they got out of the suicide's tent when they were in the woods looking for Sophia.

Andrea had a Smith & Wesson of some flavor, probably a 3913 or a 5906.

I still can't believe that no one has switched over to .22s with high capacity magazines.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 30, 2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Beretta686

Quote:
I still can't believe that no one has switched over to .22s with high capacity magazines.
A 10/22 with a 50-rd drum would do wonders.

Personally, my ultimate Zombocalypse survival setup would be a Five-Seven and a PS90 combo. Super-high capacity magazines, can carry tons of ammo, no recoil and can reach out to 100 meters with no problem.

Old October 30, 2013, 10:07 AM   #20
38superhero

It bugs me the way they carry.... Do you think its safe to carry "herschel style" in holster no flap or strap, crossdraw, right in front of beltbuckle?
Old October 30, 2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Dragline45

You can see all the guns in the show on http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Walking_De...28TV_Series%29

By the way I saw a behind the scenes special and most of the guns and props they use are rubber models.

Quote:
Way too many rare and exotic automatic weapons, and (almost) no conservation of ammo
I agree, you almost never hear them talking about conserving ammo.

Quote:
I didn't care for Meryl's character truthfully. Stereotype that I don't care for regarding 'rednecks' from the south.... imagine the uproar if other stereotypes were shown from the Atlanta area...
His character wasn't as much portraying a redneck as it was a white supremacist drug dealing criminal. How ridiculous would it be if I got insulted every time I saw Mario and Luigi or a fat guy with a mustache for the logos on pizza parlors because I am Italian. People are too sensitive these days, one of my pet peeves. Almost everyone portrayed from Boston in movies are hot headed Irish guys who like to fight and drink with a bad vocabulary, I am not going to let that get to me just because I am from Boston, they are movies for christs sake.

Last edited by Dragline45; October 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old October 30, 2013, 03:34 PM   #22
Constantine

Guns on The Walking Dead

Dragline45 is awesome.

You see, imfdb is awesome but it takes away from this thread and removes the fun.
Old October 30, 2013, 08:00 PM   #23
Pezo

Post number 14 nails it. I thought that to. If the zombies are corpse and rotting. Time will take care of them. Funny, I thought also about the cold. Here in Michigan, say around January, February ish when it gets around zero temps these zombie things would be frozen solid.
Old October 30, 2013, 08:28 PM   #24
Jo6pak

I enjoy the show. Sure it has it's problems with some gun related things, but that's nothing out of the ordinary for television or movies.

A NOTE: TV and Movies are not firearm documentaries. The purpose is to tell a story, the guns are part of the stories. The guns are NOT the story.
Also, if one can suspend disbelief long enough to buy into the undead walking the earth and eating humans whole, then a few discrepencies with gun facts aren't that big of deal.
Old October 30, 2013, 09:11 PM   #25
spacecoast

Quote:
I used to live in Texas. I've seen stuff decompose in 90 degree heat. It doesn't take long. I figure in about 2 weeks all the walking dead would be a pile of not-so-walking bones. So, 2 weeks and the zombie apocalypse is over. My completely unscientific prediction. For those of us in colder climes, the zombies will have to figure out how to not freeze solid ovenight.
In other words... in the Z Apocalypse, California is "not the place ya oughta be".

I'd like to see what would happen when a Z wanders onto a big fire ant mound... would they strip 'im clean?

Last edited by spacecoast; October 30, 2013 at 09:22 PM.