The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 20, 2013, 08:47 PM   #626
coldbeer

It's not going to get back to normal for a long time. People are obsessed with buying way more ammo than need and I'm not playing that game. It'll be another year at least before things get back to normal unless there's another shooting and people flip out again.
Old October 21, 2013, 06:58 AM   #627
rebs

I agree there are lots of people out there still buying everything they can find, this is adding to the shortage and the price. I was talking to one guy that said he has 27000 rounds of 22lr. Why would anyone need that many rounds ? Maybe he is scared he'll run out but that many rounds is ridiculous to me. I think all that people like him are doing is adding to the shortage and keeping the prices high.
Old October 21, 2013, 07:43 AM   #628
Kimio

At least they've ensured some form of job security for all the ammo manufacturers, they must be making an absolute killing right now.

Anyway, has anyone had any luck with finding .308 or .223 up here in the Ogden area in Utah?
Old October 21, 2013, 08:31 AM   #629
Levant

Quote:
I was talking to one guy that said he has 27000 rounds of 22lr. Why would anyone need that many rounds ?
Because he wants them? Why do you care how many rounds anyone has of any thing. If you want more, it's available. If you don't want it badly enough to pay for it then you don't really want it, do you?
Old October 21, 2013, 09:02 AM   #630
Woodyed

Remington & Winchester 22LR ammo Where is it?

Retailers and distributors are seeing and receiving small shipments of CCI and Federal 22LR ammo but nobody that I know of is seeing any from Winchester or Remington. Why is that the 2 leading suppliers of 22LR ammo are not making an appearance on dealers shelves and in distributors warehouses? I hate to suggest that a conspiracy between these 2 manufacturers exists in regards to supplying 22LR ammo to the market, but the absence of this ammo in the market place surely fosters such a belief. Why can Federal and CCI make a somewhat reasonable effort to make and ship 22LR ammo but Remington and Winchester can't?
Old October 21, 2013, 09:30 AM   #631
zincwarrior

Quote:
Quote:
I was talking to one guy that said he has 27000 rounds of 22lr. Why would anyone need that many rounds ?

Because he wants them? Why do you care how many rounds anyone has of any thing. If you want more, it's available. If you don't want it badly enough to pay for it then you don't really want it, do you?
Its more of an example of why there is a shortage - high demand.
Old October 21, 2013, 11:02 AM   #632
Rifleman1776

Quote:
Need has nothing to do with anything.
This is still America and we still have most of our freedoms. If the government can start rationing ammo then it is pretty much all over as far as freedom is concerned.
Old October 21, 2013, 11:16 AM   #633
zincwarrior

Yes you're free to do so. You're also free to bottle your own urine if you want to. Both are going to elicit more than a few people to scratch their heads and ask "er...why?" Doesn't mean they can't.
Old October 21, 2013, 01:35 PM   #634
Closing The Gap

Myself, my wife and our two sons go shooting 3-4 times a month on avg sometimes more. Our typical day shooting has us run through at minimum a thousand rounds of 22. I keep on hand no less than 10,000 rounds and we have shot nearly 35,000 rounds since January. 27,000 rounds on hand for us wouldn't be unreasonable. I'll add that we have not changed our routine because of the madness. We have only become more savvy at how we locate and acquire the ammo 90% of which has come from Walmart. Just because someone has or uses more than you would doesn't make them wrong.
Old October 21, 2013, 04:40 PM   #635
HK_Flo

I have found some .22lr in my area.

Last week at STL walmart wife saw some winchester super X 100 round. Guy let her buy 6 instead of 3 because he was tired of opening case. Need to send her more often.

Got a 325 box of federal auto match for $20? or so at a gun shop down in arcadia mo.

9mm still is the hardest for me to find.
Old October 25, 2013, 11:31 AM   #636
kgpcr

Cabelas in MN had thier shelfs plump full of primers. CCI, Remington and Winchester were full with all types. Federal was there as well. It has been that way for a bit now so i hope all is getting better elsewhere as well.
Smith M&P 40
Old October 28, 2013, 02:18 PM   #637
Nine the Ranger

Walmart in FL had Winchester USA 5.56 & 7.62x39, plus a few boxes of Remington .22 Subsonic.

I snagged the .22~

'In a Man to Man fight, the Winner is He who has one more round in his magazine.'-Erwin Rommel
Old October 28, 2013, 10:33 PM   #638
Levant

Local Walmart had some 30-30 this weekend; first I've seen this year. THe only problem was, they couldn't find the key to the cabinet and I couldn't buy any.
Old October 29, 2013, 01:10 AM   #639
Ritz

I recently began trying to find ammo for my 38-55 winchester lever gun. I looked high and low. There's not a box of ammo to be had anywhere at any retail location I can find or online. I even went to a couple of gun shows here in VA. No dice. I had to resort to bidding for NOS stuff on gunbroker.com at 3-4X the price I last paid for plain Jane Winchester X3855 in a gun store (probably 10-15 years ago).

So....I bit the bullet and started picking up supplies to reload. Even that has become a pain in the rump. There's no bullets to be had in the usual retail locations or online so....I had to buy what I could find at inflated prices on the same auction site. Then I realize that yup...there's a significant shortage of almost every brand and type of smokeless powder. Back to the auction site to pick up some H4198 at what was probably 3-4X what it cost a few years ago. The same goes for primers.

At least the press and dies weren't too hard to find. Now I've got enough supplies to reload a few hundred rounds. That ought to keep me supplied for hunting for quite some time.

Sigh...
Old October 29, 2013, 05:14 AM   #640
xnaerughiazk

Reloading is the way to go and many of us that do aren't as frantic as those that don't.

That helps fuel the 22lr panic, can't reload those.

Hopefully this scarcity will get more people into reloading, some who reload will bitch at me there because they don't want to increase demand and prices.

Bernanke increases prices every day.
Old October 30, 2013, 11:28 AM   #641
Samadams2000

Where is the .22 Mag supply?

I know this has been beaten to death, but my Kingdom for some .22 Win Mag. Where the hell is it? Doesnt it have higher margin compared to .22lR? Why doesnt ATK raise the price incrementally and them make a few billion for the masses?
Old October 30, 2013, 11:50 AM   #642
thallub

The Academy store in Lawton has several brands of .22 magnum ammo in stock on the shelves.
Old October 30, 2013, 12:13 PM   #643
amd6547

Yeah...I am very tempted to buy a new Ruger American 22mag. The only thing stopping me is that I have not seen a single round of 22mag ammo for months.
17HMR, sure...22mag, never.
Kind of puts doubt on the story that 22lr is sold out due to all the new platforms for it.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:11 PM   #644
FrankenMauser

.22 WMR is a low demand cartridge. With all the demand for more popular cartridges, right now, it just isn't a good financial move to stop production, to gear up for .22 WMR.

It's roughly equivalent to Ford stopping production of their best-selling vehicle, the F-150, in order to run a couple thousand C-Max hybrids for the 7 people in the country that want one.

When the ammo companies get a chance, they'll run all of the .22 WMR they have orders for (and maybe a little more). But, there are plenty of other cartridges they feel they need to catch up on, first.

In addition, .22 WMR primarily uses jacketed bullets that are made on the same equipment used to produce bullets that are needed for centerfire ammunition production, as well as bullets that are in high demand for reloaders. Again, it doesn't make sense to stop producing a high demand bullet for ammunition production (and the component market), in order to satisfy a tiny fraction of the market with .22 WMR. ...especially when you have to shut down one of your ammunition lines, to produce the .22 WMR ammunition, once you do have the bullets.

One of my favorite rifles is a .22 WMR. But, I also know it's not a very popular cartridge. I buy large quantities when the price is right.

There's still some out there, and there will be more. But, getting your hands on some may require a little patience.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:28 PM   #645
NWPilgrim

I want to buy a LCR in .22WMR but I could not find any ammo for it locally or even at all the online retail sites. God forgive me, I broke down and bought some off Gunbroker!!! $250/500 rds but I don't plan to shoot it a lot so that should last until retail supplies recover. I have a ton of other ammo so it was humiliating to have to resort to this, but it is the same situation for anyone getting a new gun/caliber. If you want to feed it you have to pay the price. I was glad to find something.

I bought the ammo first because I did not want to buy the gun until I knew I could feed it.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 30, 2013, 01:42 PM   #646
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

.22Mag thread merged
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:54 PM   #647
SamNavy

For those of you who've never heard of Gunbot, you're welcome:
http://www.gunbot.net/

I've seen a few shipments at my local Walmarts... usually a case once a month or so. It's always CCI and always gone by noon.

If you need some now:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Horna...12&WT.tsrc=AFF
Use code "3HOLIDAY" for $5 shipping on $99 or more.

Or: http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Winch...o-p/usa22m.htm
Old October 31, 2013, 09:25 PM   #648
xnaerughiazk

Some lament that we are buying more ammo than we need.

So let's see deer season begins this weekend, I shot one round to make sure my scope rifle is set. With luck I'll shoot one or two cartridges and get a deer. Then the rifle sits until next year.

So should I be happy with a 20 round box of cartridges for five years?
Old November 5, 2013, 09:56 PM   #649
gaseousclay

The "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc.

Stopped at Dicks sporting goods last week and they were bone dry on .22 ammo
Old November 5, 2013, 10:43 PM   #650
vito

Went to Walmart at 3PM today and bought 3 boxes of 100 CCI 22lr for $7.50 a box. I guess things are easing up.
Closed Thread