The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 23, 2013, 09:01 AM   #1
RawPony

Bone grips

I'm looking at getting some bone grips for my Range Officer . My biggest question is : will these grips age in a similar fashion to elephant ivory ? That is , will they " yellow " with age or will they stay fairly white ? Thanks in advance .
Old October 23, 2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Depending on how they are finished I would think that over time they would yellow, or at least darken, somewhat. Bone generally seems to only be really white if it's bleached, either by the sun or chemicals.

My guess is that handling the grips, skin oils, etc., will also help with the darkening process.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 23, 2013, 09:31 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Ajax grips....

Ajax Grips still sells a few synthetic versions of Ivory for many popular handguns.
To my limited knowledge, real Ivory grips or material is illegal in the US due to the poachers & criminal trade overseas.
Some gun owners like stag grips. They look good & can be held w/o problems with sweat, rain, etc.
My security class instructor packed a S-A 1911a1 .45acp with stag grips & J Jackson, the retired Texas Ranger & author of One Ranger, wrote that he put stag grips on his carry/duty pistols.

Clyde
Old October 23, 2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

You can still buy legal ivory grips. I'm not sure of the specifics, but you can easily google quite a few places selling pre-ban ivory grips.

Boone Trading Company sells them:

http://www.boonetrading.com/Pg14.html#Ele

But, he's not talking about buying ivory grips, he wants to know about BONE grips.

Different.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 23, 2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Colt46

Bone can be very porous

Not sealed and it will attract all sorts of dirt and grime when your hands get sweaty. Seal it off too well and it will get kinda slippery on you.
Old October 23, 2013, 11:45 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

post #5; Ranger Jackson, grips...

Ranger Jackson made the same points about his Commander size .45acp. He used stag type grips over rubber or ivory.
He was outdoors a lot & in the heat/elements. Texas Rangers often rode horses or ATVs too. They didnt need sidearms covered with grime, sweat or moisture.
Old October 24, 2013, 07:49 AM   #7
RawPony

Basically , what I'm looking for is something that will age with time , but I certainly don't want something that is going to be slick . I carry my RO daily as my concealed piece ( yeah , I know ) , so it's my defensive weapon , but when it eventually goes to one of my grandsons , I want him to be able to look at it and see the use ( but not abuse ) that I have put on it ; to have that connection . So I'm open to any suggestions .

Last edited by RawPony; October 24, 2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old October 26, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Auto5

My super blackhawk wears "aged" ivory polymer grips. I forget where I ordered them from, but you could select the level of "aging". Of course, they won't get any darker. My vaquero has horn grips with a round bone inlay, but I haven't had them on long enough to notice any color change in the bone.
Old November 16, 2013, 04:31 PM   #9
RawPony

Actually , I have found something at gripmaker that will do the job . They tell me these grips will even age like ivory . A large selection as well . Single actions and 1911's both . I'll give them a try , I think .
Old November 23, 2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Old Stony

Actually you can artificially age stag or bone grips using Rit Dye. I have used it for years for knife handles, powder horns, etc... Just get the yellow color and mix it up with some warm water. The longer you soak the stag, the deeper yellow it becomes, until it almost turns orange. Usually an overnight treatment will result in a nice aged finish. I usually give the project a light buffing with rouge or Zam polishing compound afterward applied with a soft buff. You can turn out some beautiful finishes this way.