The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 21, 2013, 11:00 AM   #26
DPris
Member Emeritus

I'm very much aware of what WD-40 is & does.
It doesn't get near my guns.
Denis
Old October 21, 2013, 12:38 PM   #27
tahunua001

WD40 is perfectly fine to use in guns so long as you are not attempting to use it as lube. I used to use it all the time in my model 60 marlin and it never saw any problems.
Old October 21, 2013, 02:33 PM   #28
Garycw

Mosin-Nagant

WD40 works great as starting fluid and killing wasp nests too.
Soapy water or windex with ammonia works too.
While in the woods,
A quick and easily improvised method of removing the crossover salts from the barrel is to take a whizz in it!
Old October 21, 2013, 02:53 PM   #29
tahunua001

wouldn't that add salt?
Old October 21, 2013, 06:29 PM   #30
Opinated

On purchasing a Mosin-Nagant, the Aim Surplus website is now at $130 round money plus shipping and the local FFL fee. Here is a link to the gunshop I visited last week.
http://www.duncangun.com/
Scroll down to the M-N. Not sure when this was posted. Last week the crate was about half empty. With all the grease, it was difficult to choose one over the other. Duncan offers more accessories, so it appears.
Locally I would pay about $30 more than from Aim when all costs are added in. So which supplier, in your opinion, would be my better choice?
Duncan was really high on some ammo calibers, about $6.50 per box more than some nearby suppliers.
Old October 21, 2013, 09:05 PM   #31
emcon5

Does your AIM price include shipping?

Even if not, $30 would be worth it to me to pick the best of what is available, assuming there are half a dozen or so left.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:54 AM   #32
JHansenAK47

Quote:
Street price online now is $129, at multiple dealer sites. Add about $20/rifle for shipping (less for multiples combining shipping), and at $150 I'd say it's far from a "deal" at $193, even if it includes FFL transfers if you don't have a C&R.
I'd be willing to pay more to cherry pick a rifle. Besides the cheap Mosins are drying up, find a deal but get the best rifle you can get your hands on.
Quote:
WD40 is perfectly fine to use in guns so long as you are not attempting to use it as lube.
I've used it before and noticed it tends to leave residue as it dries up. I don't recommend using it without following up with a proper cleanup to remove it.YMMV
Old October 22, 2013, 03:24 AM   #33
jaytex1969

My most recent purchase was from a newly opened Gander Mountain here in central Texas.

Many have said that GM is overpriced. I would agree, somewhat. My 91/30 was tagged at $179 and came out to about $193 out the door.

I'd probably have passed on it, but the salesman. showed me several rifles and the last one I saw was a '27 Tula "5 line" ex-dragoon refurb with an awesome bore, 95% blueing and a decent 85-90% shellac stock.

It came with bayonet and all the normal accessories except the pouches. Not a steal, but fair enough, in my opinion.
Old October 22, 2013, 05:32 AM   #34
Garycw

Mosin-Nagant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua001 View Post
wouldn't that add salt?
Not really. The ammonia is what works. Or so I was told. I've Never been that desperate yet.

AIM has some pretty good deals on mosins, especially if your close enough to go there and pick up. They still charge a FFL fee when picking up there too.
Old October 22, 2013, 08:03 AM   #35
hornetguy

From what I've heard and read, nothing is needed to "neutralize" or get rid of the corrosive deposits from the mercuric primers, other than plain old water.
No vinegar, no ammonia, no nothing. Just water. Flush it out. Done.
Something about trying to pee down a rifle barrel just doesn't appeal to me at all..
Old October 22, 2013, 08:26 AM   #36
tahunua001

FWIW, I just use CLP and patches and clean as I would any other rifle, the only time my guns rust is if I forget to clean them.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:34 AM   #37
emcon5

Quote:
nothing is needed to "neutralize" or get rid of the corrosive deposits from the mercuric primers, other than plain old water.
This is correct. Ammonia can be a good copper solvent, depending on the strength of the mixture. The tiny amount in Window cleaners is not enough.

There is a great review of various cleaning methods for corrosive salts here:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...salt/index.asp
Old October 22, 2013, 11:36 AM   #38
Opinated

"Ammonia can be a good copper solvent, "
Correct. While one could not use it on firearms, anhydrous ammonia used for farm fertilizer will destroy brass or copper fittings overnight.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:34 PM   #39
Duzell

well mosin price wise mine was 98 on sale, and for corrosive i personally use windex, then the hopps corrosive cleaner on it, and my barrel looks like new, then apply light oil down the barrel , also leaving the windex on for 10-15 min then ditto the hopps. after this, i clean till my wads run white and then apply the oil.

when i clean my guns im picky about them being perfectly clean and lubed for the next time i shoot, could be a while with my luck
Old October 23, 2013, 04:42 PM   #40
Opinated

Found a seller who offers several varieties of old military rifles and ammo at attractive prices. Was planning an order and a trip to pickup my purchases as the cost of driving to their location would not be more than the shipping costs. Turns out that they ship ONLY-- no pick up at their location. They do have one fellow near them that they allow to pick up and customers can then pick up from that fellow's business. Turns out that his fees eat up all the anticipated savings and it would be just as well to let the UPS bring it to me or my local FFL, as the case may be. Shooting is not low cost anymore. Additional links in the distribution chain do not result in lower costs.
I guess that I really am older than dirt. I can remember when the country store near me had a catalog from one of this suppliers with a good variety of firearms, including handguns. If you were 21 or older, just order what you what and pick it up at the store about week later. No hassle.
Old October 23, 2013, 05:28 PM   #41
Garycw

Mosin-Nagant

I can remember buying new pistols at the hardware store too. No checks, transfers nothing other than age & only if you didn't look old enough.
Enjoy your new Mosin. 91/30. Now you just a few other models. The M44 is one of my favorites.
Old October 23, 2013, 06:32 PM   #42
Opinated

Thanks for the good wishes. I do not yet have a M-N nor one on order-- but am still considering it.
Old October 23, 2013, 10:43 PM   #43
Justice06RR

I would also recommend checking out Budsgunshop.com website. They have a few Mosin's for sale and they usually include shipping with the purchase price.

I highly recommend the 91/30 Hex receiver which is $169shipped from them. If you are considering buying a Mosin rifle, just go ahead and buy one now. They are not going to get cheaper and will only go up in price. Mosin's are basically the last cheap military surplus rifle you can get for under $200 that still has widely available and affordable ammo.
Old October 24, 2013, 10:02 AM   #44
bill-may

love me Mosin Nagants. i buy MN T53's for $60 each from century arms. they are copies of M44 carbine. i have ordered 3 in last week. they shoot the same 7.62X54R cartridge that the M91-30 does.
Old October 24, 2013, 04:11 PM   #45
Opinated

I looked at the Buds website. My preferred FFL is already listed there. But the 91/30 at Buds does not have the extras of the dealer I linked above. So how much is the value, if any, of the extras listed? They were not on display at the dealers. Buds is $20 less.
Old October 24, 2013, 04:27 PM   #46
TMW89

I never got any extras wit my gun from gander mtn.

I wouldn't think they are worth diddly
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old October 24, 2013, 10:20 PM   #47
nate_g_2003

I did not get any extras with mine from Cabelas. I originally was disappointed I didn't, but have since changed my mind. I'm not sure I would really use any of the extras anyway. The bayonet does look fun, however. Haha

The only thing I would like to have gotten with mine is the M-N tear-drop tool. It seems to be the most useful extra, but I'll probably just get one online.
Old October 25, 2013, 06:10 AM   #48
TMW89

I should say I did get a bayonet, but nothing else
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old October 26, 2013, 11:53 AM   #49
Garycw

Mosin-Nagant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinated View Post
I looked at the Buds website. My preferred FFL is already listed there. But the 91/30 at Buds does not have the extras of the dealer I linked above. So how much is the value, if any, of the extras listed? They were not on display at the dealers. Buds is $20 less.
For the extra $20 I would recommend the accessories.
Old October 27, 2013, 02:34 PM   #50
shaunpain

http://www.jgsales.com/c-r-guns-c-290.html

That's a good place to start. I bought a Ishy round receiver off of them when they were around $79 or so. I didn't really know what I was getting got a 1942 all matching, of course, covered in cosmoline.

I've never disassembled the rifle again after initially doing it to get the cosmoline OUT, and I don't believe you need to. After shooting it a few times and cleaning the heck out of the bore, it looks better down there than it did. It shoots to POA so I'm not too worried about it. Ammonia is the way to go if you really want to make sure you get the salts out, but I've never been done wrong with Hopps followed by a couple patches of CLP.

The point is, I don't really think you need to pay that kind of coin if you're looking for a standard issue Mosin (which it seems like you are). If you're not a collector of Mosins, I hardly see the point in plunking down extra coin for what is essentially just a milsurp gun. Ammo is still cheap and plentiful and showing no signs of waning demand so spending more money seems counterproductive. The accessories are nice but not a deal maker. If you are fortunate enough to have a C&R then jgsales.com is the way to go. I didn't, but still only paid about $17 in freight and the $25 transfer. I still made out like a bandit.