The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 22, 2013, 12:45 AM   #1
davidsoc

saiga tapco t6 questions

hey all, i have some questions regarding the unconverted saiga t6 stock.

i know converting is the prefered thing to do but i already got the t6, and i feel it will fit me well (i have long arms)

anyway i got ancy and screwed the grip into the stock before installing it on the rifle (dont know what i was thinking, guess i wanted to see how the grip and butt felt) and it was REALLY hard to screw in...is it supposed to be that hard?

second thing is im not sure i put the grip screw in at the right angle, im going to back it out and try installing it on the rifle tomorrow...if i did put it at the wrong angle the 1st time what would be a good fix? i was thinking fill the hole with some kind of epoxy

thanks for any help,
david
Old September 23, 2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Fishbed77

Quote:
i know converting is the prefered thing to do but i already got the t6, and i feel it will fit me well (i have long arms)
Long fingers (very long fingers) are what you are going to need to operate the safety with a T6 stock, not long arms.

My advice to you is to sell the T6 on eBay, and buy a proper conversion kit from Carolina Shooters Supply for about $140-$150 or so. I used this kit from CSS and had my Saiga properly converted in a Saturday afternoon with some basic tools (along with installing a bullet guide to use AK mags). I am not terribly mechanically-inclined:

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.co...6-kvar-5pc.htm

I know this isn't what you probably wanted to hear, but you will thank me later.

Quote:
anyway i got ancy and screwed the grip into the stock before installing it on the rifle (dont know what i was thinking, guess i wanted to see how the grip and butt felt) and it was REALLY hard to screw in...is it supposed to be that hard?
That said, it sounds like you just need to drill a small pilot hole to get the screw started. My AK stocks do not come pre-drilled so they can accommodate the wide variety of AK versions.

Last edited by Fishbed77; September 23, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old September 29, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Yung.gunr

To me the biggest improvement that comes with the conversion is the trigger. Once you go from the Saiga sporter trigger to the Tapco trigger that comes in the conversion kits it becomes a totally different & infinitely better gun.
Old September 30, 2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Fishbed77

Quote:
Once you go from the Saiga sporter trigger to the Tapco trigger that comes in the conversion kits it becomes a totally different & infinitely better gun.
Indeed.
Old October 12, 2013, 04:03 AM   #5
davidsoc

i guess ill install it to make sure i didnt drill the hole wrong and to see if i like it.

i probably will end up selling it if its not damaged, what are some good options for a polymer stock?
Old October 12, 2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
i probably will end up selling it if its not damaged, what are some good options for a polymer stock?
There aren't many options for a polymer stock on a Saiga unless you convert it. If you do convert it, It's hard to beat the KVar fixed polymer stock:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-008BUSW.html

Last edited by Fishbed77; October 12, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old October 12, 2013, 07:24 PM   #7
davidsoc

ok thanks Fishbed77 i'll definitely look into that one

i think i will do the buttstock and trigger part of the conversion, i have the tapco forend on and i think i'll stick with that for now to avoid that part of the conversion