The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 1, 2013, 11:09 AM   #1
DealHunter

Single Six Holster

I searched for other threads but didn't really see anything that fit this question...

Just bought a SS Single Six 6.5 inch (liked the old cowboy look ) and also have a SS Hunter (22) on order (been 3 months, I think they make them in batches) for the scope mount and longer barrel.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a more traditional holster that would do double duty for both revolvers or will I need to get a specific one for the hunter model? So far I haven't really seen any "commercial" holsters for the hunter.

I'll probably also wind up getting a holster for my Blackhawk .30 cal (7.5 inch) but I'm worried that would be too loose for the smaller framed Single Six.

On a side note I have to say, I'm really liking the Ruger Single actions (prior to this only had a .44 SBH and while it's fun, it's huge for my hands...)
Old October 1, 2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca

Here ya go: http://shopruger.com/Single-Action/products/46/2/0
Old October 1, 2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Daggitt

You'll need a holster for each gun unless they are very similar , nearly identical. It won't work well if it is not proper size , length , etc.
Old October 2, 2013, 06:04 AM   #4
DealHunter

Some of these would have the right barrel length but will they accommodate the wider barrel with the scope mounting rib?
Old October 10, 2013, 08:31 AM   #5
chewie146

Just as a thought, I use my Galco wheelgunner for my black hawk and my single six. Yes it's less snug with the single six, but it stays in there just fine, and I have yet to have a close call with it. I'm not jumping fences and rolling down hills, but I do some pretty intense hiking and small game hunting with it. After the fire, there are some pretty gnarly areas you have to go through to get to the trees.
Old October 11, 2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

I dislike having to undo straps, snaps and such when I need to draw a gun. I use my SS for the farm, hunting, hiking, etc. but want a fast smooth draw. At the same time most open top holsters allow the hammer to stick up. I had an incident at one time when the hammer caught on a branch and went to full cock without my being aware of it. Fortunately there was no unintended discharge or injury but still I wanted to avoid a repeat. With no holsters being available, that I could find, that me my requirement I made my own. Not pretty or fancy but it works and has been for at my side for many years. The leather was from an old pair of boots. Shopping and spending money is not your only option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Single Six holster.jpg (89.1 KB, 13 views)
Old October 11, 2013, 11:48 AM   #7
DealHunter

Quote:
Shopping and spending money is not your only option.
Not much of a leather worker but I could give it a try (yours came out pretty nicely it seems ).

I think I might also bring it to a show and see what fits. The other thing is if I wanted to mount a scope on it, not sure people make holsters that would fit that (other than a chest rig perhaps).
Old October 11, 2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

Quote:
I could give it a try
I'm not a leather worker either, just a guy with a little shop.
I moistened the leather and fit it as best I could, put in a few hold stitches then used my drill press to make the other holes then stitched. Since I (we) don't have access to plastic dummy guns and must use or real guns for shaping, care must be taken to dry and oil them after the project is completed.
Old October 12, 2013, 03:38 PM   #9
FireForged

My single six holster came from Kilpatrick gunleather. I use "the duke" rig
Old October 12, 2013, 04:28 PM   #10
Rifleman1776

Those Kilpatrick holsters look nice but are pricey and they don't have a model that does what I wanted, a protected hammer for the single action revolver.