The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
bt380

Any 9mm Berry's 115gr Blue Dot Recipies

Came out of the store today w/ Blue Dot and a box of Berry's plated:
9mm (.356")
115 gr RN
# 19355
Max velocity 1250
Lot # 072946
-
Berry's site states:
http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q9-c1-H...d_Bullets.aspx
-
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
-
I plan to shoot them out of a Ruger SR9. I'd rather use some known workable loads. Be sure to list your OAL's as well if you please.
-
Please state if the loads ended up being clean or dirty.
-
Thanks in advance.
Old October 10, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

115g/Blue Dot is an awkward combination. A light bullet for such a slow powder, basically. I tend to load with faster powders than most; so I'm definitely the wrong guy. But somebody will chime in. Speer #14 has no data for that combo.
Old October 10, 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

Personally, I have used Red Dot, Clays, Universal (my current favorite), Unique, Clay Dot, Bullseye and 231 for 115 9mm - they are all fast shotgun powders. BlueDot, as mentioned, is a tad slow for your application

Last edited by BigD_in_FL; October 10, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old October 10, 2013, 07:33 PM   #4
bt380

It is a bit unusual but Lymans 49th shows blue dot being used from as light as 90 grain. I would think that too light would be dirty and cleaner as the grain increases, but I can't say for sure, just guessing. Hopefully someone will have the magic bullet load (as it were).
Old October 10, 2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Oh yeah, bt380 - you can use Blue Dot to load 115g 9mm. But in order for it to run in its "sweet spot," you're going to have to load up some fire breathers. We're talking some pretty hot rounds. And if you download it, it's going to burn filthy and won't make for a pleasurable shooting day out at the range. In the 9mm world, it much prefers a heavier bullet - like 147's.

Blue Dot is an outstanding shotgun powder.
Old October 10, 2013, 10:00 PM   #6

All true, but one of my most accurate 9mm handloads came with the Win. 115 gr. JHP with an OACL of 1.142" and a charge of Blue Dot too stiff to mention. You guys caused me to go back to my Lyman 46th and their #358345 is a very blunt SWC type that Lyman only loaded to an OACL of .997". Since the Max. charge produced 1339 FPS, it's probably best not to list the charge. In my much more current P&R III, they only used Blue Dot with their 147 gr. cast bullet.

I wish I could help more with some data, but to get Blue Dot to perform well with a plated 115, you may end up needing to be close to the bullet's velocity limit of 1250 FPS. 1200 FPS might be doable without a bunch of unburned powder. As far as jacketed data, the Lyman P&R III shows a load range of 6.8 grs. up to a Max. charge of 7.6 grs. that shows to be compressed and they used the 115 gr. Hornady XTP that produced 1189 FPS at 32,300 CUP with an OACL of 1.090".

If you determined the proper OACL for that bullet and your pistol and that OACL was a good bit longer, the XTP data might be usable at least to the mid charge level. A chronograph will really help if you know someone that has one. As you increase OACL you slightly decrease pressure and therefore velocity, It would be safe to use the XTP Start Charge, but where you end up should be determined by a chronograph unless you get lucky and the mid charge shoots clean and accurate. Only one way to find out!

Last edited by 57K; October 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old October 11, 2013, 12:35 AM   #7
Nick_C_S

Quote:
to get Blue Dot to perform well with a plated 115, you may end up needing to be close to the bullet's velocity limit of 1250 FPS. 1200 FPS might be doable without a bunch of unburned powder.
For this reason, I wouldn't load up a bunch of them. I'd hold off until you can get a hold of some faster powder.

Other than W296 - which I use exclusively for my 8"bbl .44 Mag - the slowest powders I load with are HS-6 & Power Pistol.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:10 AM   #8
TimSr

I'm always hearing Blue Dot bashed but it never seems to be from people with much exerience with using it. It is crappy and inconsistant in applications with lots of vacant case space. It is awesome in heavy loads or undersized cases such as 9mm. Your minimum listed loads will still be absent vacant space and work excellent in 9mm. You might have to stay near the low end if your bullets have limitations. For 115gr you can start with about 7.8 with a max listed at 8.4 for a jacket bullet. Most of my target loads are 8.0 gr under a 125gr or 120gr cast bullet, but my 115gr JHP loads are at 8.4 which is a full case of Blue Dot. I dont remember my oal offhand but it was directly out of the Speer #10 manual for jacketed bullets, and cast bullets were seated to the shoulder.

Blue Dot is very clean burning when the case has without vacant space, and its accuracy in the right loads is simply amazing. I use it for all of my 9mm loads, cast and jacketed, and also for my .38 +P loads for my snubby.
Old October 11, 2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

For clarity, I'm certainly not bashing Blue Dot. It's a good powder in the right application.

I cut my hand loading teeth on Blue Dot. If it weren't for the forgiveness inherent with BD, I'd probably have 3 destroyed guns. When I first started loading, I used more bravery than common sense or restraint. I was 21 years old; 10 feet tall and bullet proof. I'm older, shorter, and less resilient now I have BD to thank for getting through my stupidity without paying a heavy price.

These days, I tend to load with faster powders than most - so that's my point of reference, and I freely admit it. When I think of a round I want to create, I ask myself "what's the fastest powder I can use, and still accomplish this goal without pressure problems?"

If someone starts a post on TFL like: "I've got 115g FMJ round nose bullets I want to use for medium power target shooting. What powder should I use?" I'll respond back with "W231 or AA2 would be good choices. . ." And most others will respond with "Unique, HS-6, or even AA7 or Blue Dot. . . " They aren't wrong, I just know that "medium power target shooting" rounds can be achieved with a faster powder. And chances are, my advice will yield a cleaner and more economical round than the other posters'.

I don't have any Blue Dot - haven't for many years. But if I did, I'd only use it for things like 240g 44Mag rounds; or 158g 357Mags; and then, I would only shoot them through my long barrel magnums (not to imply that BD serves no other purpose).

So that's where I am. I'm certainly not bashing Blue Dot. I actually have a sentimental soft spot in my heart for it - good memories. I just don't currently have a spot on my reloading bench for it.
Old October 11, 2013, 07:05 PM   #10
Wreck-n-Crew

Found a great deal on some 115 Grn plated bullets from www.thebulletworks.net . Had good sucess and very accurate. Loaded them up with 5.2 Grns of WSF. Tore the bull up .

$87 1000 delivered. Only 2 left of the 115 GRN but they have the 147 GRN

Think they are keepers. Not gonna give up my cast, but now I have affordable options.
Old October 11, 2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

I'm on their site. They're sold out now.
Old October 11, 2013, 08:39 PM   #12
safarihunter

Blue Dot would not be the first powder I would choose for 9mm

I've had good results in magnum pistols
Old October 11, 2013, 09:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Blue Dot would not be the first powder I would choose for 9mm

I've had good results in magnum pistols
Yep, after SAAMI lowered the 9mm's pressure rating, which I won't go into, Blue Dot lost most of its steam in 9mm. My best loads were fairly compressed, so I agree with the assessment on that score. It was also my first powder when I began loading the .41 Magnum too many moons ago.

W-n-C, thanks for the link.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:32 PM   #14
Nick_C_S

Quote:
W-n-C, thanks for the link.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that too. Thanks.

Save 'em to my favorites. They have a few items I have my eye on. Now, if I can just find the money lol.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:40 PM   #15
bt380

Thanks all, your data is really close to:
-
Alliant web site:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...tid=25&bdid=30
Speer Gold Dot HP 115 grain <<<-- not plated like my Berrys
Minimum OAL(inches) 1.125
Bbl Length 4
Primer CCI 500
Powder Blue Dot
Charge Weight 8.5 grains
Velocity 1,258 FPS
Starting at 10% below the maximum charge = 7.7gr.
-
Lee 2nd 9mm p509
115gr XTP <<<-- not plated like my Berrys
Start 7.5, max 8.5
OAL: 1.125
Basically the same as Speer Gold Dots data
-
Lyman 49th 9mm p341:
115gr JHP <<<-- more in line w/ Berrys site recommendations for mid loads
Start 6.8gr, max 7.6+
OAL: 1.090
-
Their velocity numbers is a tad over the max per Berrys plated bullet label.
-
TimSr, you stated: Your minimum listed loads will still be absent vacant space and work excellent in 9mm.
-
So 10% below 7.6 is 6.8 which is Lymans start grain. Did you ever use the 6.8gr and was it compressed or did it have some space?
-
The OAL for Lymans is shorter (1.090) but my components aren't theirs.
-
Hodgdon's Reloading 2013 Annual Manual p77-34 has a good article for OAL on last papr p28 finished on p30. I was thinking of doing what they suggested. Basically start long and shorten it up a tad until the round falls freely into the barrel then see if it loads ok in the magazine.
-
Plz comment. Thanks again.
Old October 12, 2013, 12:42 AM   #16
Nick_C_S

Quote:
"(using Blue Dot) for my .38 +P loads for my snubby."
^^ I bet that's a seriously flashy round ^^

Good example in different loading styles. I wouldn't dream of shooting a BD round through a snubby. AA2 is the slowest powder I load for snubbies.
Old October 14, 2013, 07:12 AM   #17
TimSr

Quote:
So 10% below 7.6 is 6.8 which is Lymans start grain. Did you ever use the 6.8gr and was it compressed or did it have some space?
I was starting in the mid 7's and wasn't using Lyman data. In that respect, I had no vacant space. You can do an easy check just by charging a case and marking where your bullet would seat, but considering how much space your 115 gr bullet takes, I think it would still be void of air space.
Old October 14, 2013, 07:17 AM   #18
TimSr

Quote:

Quote:
"(using Blue Dot) for my .38 +P loads for my snubby."

^^ I bet that's a seriously flashy round ^^

Good example in different loading styles. I wouldn't dream of shooting a BD round through a snubby. AA2 is the slowest powder I load for snubbies.
I've never really noticed the flash, but I am used to shooting a lot of really big magnums. What I really noticed was how much faster it shot, and how my group closed up, and very importantly, how the height of the group moved down into the center black with my fixed sight gun.
Old October 14, 2013, 01:07 PM   #19
Nick_C_S

Quote:
What I really noticed was how much faster it shot, and how my group closed up, and very importantly, how the height of the group moved down into the center black with my fixed sight gun.
Imagine how good that round would shoot through a 6" barrel - that's when BD really comes to life.
Old October 15, 2013, 06:58 PM   #20
bt380

Thanks all. I think I have what I need now.