The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 10, 2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Hundy

AR Complete Uppers

I finished building my lower. Looking into getting a complete upper.
I already have a completed AR M&P. Mostly due to money, I was looking into getting a fairly affordable upper for now. Then maybe a year from now, building a upper with everything I want. If and when that time comes I was going to use the other upper on either lower for days when I want to just put rounds down range on paper. Just for hitting paper and having a good time, and keep mileage off the other uppers.

I am stuck between DPMS and Del-Ton, those are within my current price range. Just curious if anyone has any feed back from either one. I am not familiar with either brand. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know some may suggest I just save and get what I want now. That is kind of hard. I am on a budget, and I have other firearms I use and maintain and I reload. I am also buying stuff to get into Single Action shooting. I also want to complete this project now, in case it gets harder in the future. I live in California and I worry that a year from now, most of what I want may be banned.

Thanks
Jay
Old October 10, 2013, 04:41 PM   #2
ripnbst

For inexpensive quality uppers at unbeatable prices I look no further than Palmetto State Armory.

YMMV, I've recommended these kits for numerous people and have helped or built myself about 10 of their "kits" and nothing has ever had any issue.

I recommend them without hesitation. I dont know what kind of pricing you are getting on the uppers you've mentioned but if they are cheaper than PSA it's probably marginally so. I'd buy PSA because I've literally never heard anything bad about them.
Old October 10, 2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Quentin2

I'd also look at PSA. Same money as DPMS but higher quality. DTI can be hit or miss but they do give lots of choices. Still, for the money you can do better at PSA.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Hundy

Thank you

Thanks for the imput. I like PSA also, I got all my lower parts from them. I was hoping to order something by the end of the month. 90%+ of the uppers are always out of stock. I will try to check their site everyday and see what I can find.

Thank you

Jay
Old October 10, 2013, 08:19 PM   #5
smax

Another vote for PSA.

Check their daily deals and blem items--you can get some smoking deals. A few weeks ago I ordered a midlength upper with an Aimpoint PRO for $600, which basically works out to a $200 upper. Snagged a blemished M16 BCG for $100 and a charging handle and I was set. The whole lot should get here on Monday.
Old October 10, 2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Mobuck

I'm satisfied with the DelTons I have. PSA may shoot better but I can't see how you can improve on subMOA from a 16" M4 profile barrel. I've personally seen groups close to 1/2" with hunting type optics and economy varmint ammo from multiple specimens of the DelTon uppers. My favorite is the midlength gas 16" Hbar. I just set one up for my Son and it turned in .75" groups using a 1.5-5x scope and American Eagle 50 grain HP elcheapo ammo. Puts the empty brass in a neat pile rather than wildly scattered, too.
Old October 11, 2013, 12:58 AM   #7
Justice06RR

Another vote on PSA uppers. I've owned 2 uppers from them, the first was a 300Blackout (sold), and currently have the Midlength upper. Can't beat them for under $500. They should have CA compliant models, although I'm not entirely knowledgeable on what is needed for CA uppers.

Delton is ok. if you like their uppers, they would be preferable over DPMS.
Old October 11, 2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Hundy

Success

Success. I read all the replies again this morning. From here and The Calguns forum. The vast majority all agreed on PSA. My only complaint was that most or all within my range are out of stock.
So I signed onto their site to start getting the announcements. Right after that, there it was. The Weekend deal. Exactly what I was looking for and better than what I was going to settle for. So I pulled the trigger and ordered it immediately. So Thanks for recommendation, PSA did work out.
I got PTAC 16" M4 1:7" 5.56 NATO SS12G2 Upper w/ Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle. About 414.00 total including tax and shipping.
I just checked and it is now out of stock.
Thanks again for the help
Jay
Old October 14, 2013, 06:56 AM   #9
Tangentabacus

May be too late but you got me curious and I did some digging...

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...product_id=696
Old October 14, 2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Fishbed77

PSA is the way to go.
Old October 19, 2013, 03:42 PM   #11
Ibmikey

I have three PSA uppers in very different configurations but my favorite AR's are Delton mid length heavy and mid length light weight rifles..never had a malfunction and both are super accurate. Guess to be fair the CHF Palmetto's rate an A+++ also.