The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2013, 05:18 PM   #1
viciouskitty

158 gr 9mm loads

Well I'm fresh out of 9mm lead boolits and fresh out of money. A buddy of mine gave me 2000 158 grain lead round nose boolits from missouri bullet company. Has anyone ever attempted to load a 9mm with a 158 grain cast bullet? I'm just kinda fishing around for info because I don't shoot my revolver that much anyways. If I could load them in 9mm safely that would be great. Any info or advice would be appreciated.
Old October 8, 2013, 06:00 PM   #2
SauerGrapes

How bout this, sell the 158s and buy some 9mm boolits. Or offer them in a trade. ?

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old October 8, 2013, 09:07 PM   #3
iraiam

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Yes, I have shot 158 grain bullets out of 9mm, specifically, the Lyman 358311 sized @ .356"

This is a start, I have old notes somewhere, I'm pretty sure I was using Unique powder, it's been a few years, I may have to load some more one of these days

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 8, 2013, 11:26 PM   #4
wpsdlrg

Indeed yes, I certainly have. I got very good accuracy, when I could get past the problems inherent in this.

The biggest issue is that the 158 grain, especially if much larger than 0.356" in diameter, will cause rather a large case bulge in the 9mm. I couldn't even get the resulting loads (dummy rounds, loaded for test chambering) to fully chamber, let alone feed properly, in a couple of my 9mm pistols. The 9mm case is tapered. 158 grain bullets are quite long, as compared to normal 9mm bullet weights. So, seating a 158 in a 9mm case deep enough to get them to feed in most 9mm pistols requires pushing the bullet far enough into the case that a serious bulge will develop, at the point where the bullet base ends up.

Some people load these, then use a taper crimp die to "iron out" the bulge in the cases. However, doing this swages the bullet base down, so that the bullet is tapered, along with the case. The result is usually gas cutting around the bullet base (and barrel leading). Accuracy usually suffers, as well.

I finally managed to get the 158's to work, in the 9mm pistol I have with the loosest chamber....but even then, they were not fully reliable. They would NOT function at all in 2 of my 3 9mm's.

As for load data, I treated these much as I would have wadcutters in a revolver. That is, light loads, suitable for targets only. 3.0 grains of Bullseye worked well. At least the 158's were accurate.

In conclusion, you might get the 158's to work in your pistol. If the diameter is right (at least 0.001" over groove diameter).....and you can overcome the case bulge problem. But, this will be problematical. I think that you'd be better off in trying to trade or sell the 158's, then obtain some proper 9mm bullets.
Old October 9, 2013, 03:34 AM   #5
iraiam

I have had the same case bulging problem with 158 grain, as well as some 147 grain with some brands of cases.

One workaround was to use a 38 super auto sizing die, they don't size the 9mm case quite as small, but neck tension was enough to hold the long bullet.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 9, 2013, 05:31 AM   #6
Old Stony

You are probably dealing with a larger diameter than optimal for the 9mm and would have to resize the bullets to get any kind of satisfactory results. This problem along with the heavier weight which is also not optimal would prompt me to trade them off or do something different.
Old October 9, 2013, 10:48 AM   #7
riverrat38

Recast them into 9mm molds.

Best,
Rick
Old October 10, 2013, 10:30 AM   #8
viciouskitty

Thanks for all the help guys looks like I may load a few dummy rounds see how they do and if not trade em away for 9mm boolits
Old October 10, 2013, 02:11 PM   #9
safarihunter

158 gr

I would be worrying about the OAL in fitting in my magazines.

Seating deeper is not necessarily an answer if it causes higher pressures
Old October 11, 2013, 04:21 PM   #10
totaldla

The Lee sizing dies are cheap - you take them down to .356".
Old October 11, 2013, 04:41 PM   #11
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Yes.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383074

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old October 28, 2013, 10:31 PM   #12
viciouskitty

I went ahead and took the plunge and loaded up 10 test rounds of 9mm loaded with 158 grain boolits sized to .358. I filled em with a charge of 2.8 grains of winchester 231, the lowest amount my autodisk would dispense. I fired em out of my FNX 9 and was pleasantly surprised to find that they functioned great. The rounds hit to point of aim at around 10 yards and I had a grouping of about 3 inches for 10 shots. Admittedly not the greatest but I was shooting at night with very poor lighting so next batch will be fired in the daylight and some from the rest as well to test their viability for range use.
Old November 3, 2013, 12:02 AM   #13
coalroller

158 gr 9mm loads

I might have some plated 9mm 147fp if you where in need of some.