The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Brutus

Primer positions

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that Winchester seems to be the only supplier who consistently gets all the primers in the package right side up.
Just opened a package of 100 from CCI and 15 of the little buggers were upside down.
Old October 6, 2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Primer positions

Never thought about it. The Lee primer holder has little dimples in the bottom. Right side up slide when you shake it, upside down catch and flip over. I didn't know anyone tried to pack them right side up, figured that's why the safety prime had the dimples.
Old October 6, 2013, 05:50 PM   #3
MarkGlazer

Tula comes right side up as well.
I agree with the comment about the Lee dispenser. If you drop the primers onto the dispenser and give it a little shake, they flip, ready to load.
Old October 6, 2013, 06:03 PM   #4
steve4102

Duno, I use Rem 7 1/2 and Fed 210M/215M, they all come sideways.
Old October 6, 2013, 06:48 PM   #5
GJSchulze

Hey, Federal primers come sideways and that's my preferred brand. Not a big deal when you know you have to flip most of them.
Old October 6, 2013, 09:07 PM   #6
SauerGrapes

I'm just happy I can find primers again.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old October 6, 2013, 10:31 PM   #7
bt380

I've never used Federal Primers so have a curiosity itch. Lots of folks obviously use Federal primers an they must work great for them. A comment in the Lee 2nd edition p61, p64 states; "Federal brand primers must NOT be used w/ any Lee tray type primer feeding device except the new patent pending auto-prime XR and safety prime." What is unique about Federal or why can't Lee use Federal?
Old October 6, 2013, 11:28 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

It's not just you. I've made the same observation.

It's not really a big deal, however. Just give 'em a shake and they usually right themselves. If not, my long tweezers (I think they're technically forceps) are always handy.
Old October 7, 2013, 12:31 AM   #9
GJSchulze

Quote:
I've never used Federal Primers so have a curiosity itch
Federal Primers are softer than other primers. I've read that CCI primers are harder.

I like Federal because they seat properly in all my brass. I sort by headstamp for 9mm brass because of the way they behave in my press.

Observations
S&B: pockets are tight, maybe crimped (don't know), but Fed primers seat easily
Winchester: For some reason Winchester primers in Winchester brass don't always seat flush. Fed primers always seat flush
And finally, before the shortage they were cheaper; $24 or $26/1000 (I don't remember which)
Old October 7, 2013, 01:40 AM   #10
JustSomeGuy

Federal primers are not just "softer" as one poster put it, but are more sensitive as well. A lot of "gun gamers" like them for use with reduced power firing pin/hammer springs because they will ignite when most other primers will not. Thus, some reloading equipment manufacturers, having had some misfortunes (read uncontained primer detonations) with Federal primers being used with their equipment in the past, want to "discourage" their use with the equipment they sell. I have some for use in light spring equipped pistols, but so far have had no mishaps with them. They are more "touchy" though.
Old October 7, 2013, 03:22 AM   #11
GJSchulze

Quote:
Federal primers are not just "softer" as one poster put it, but are more sensitive as well
I have heard that, but I would think that their sensitivity is a result of being softer. The only other way would be that the primer chemical itself is more sensitive. Does anyone know this for a fact?

As far as primer detonations, except for two posts someone pointed out, the stories are all anecdotal; it's always a poster talking about a third person. You would either have to have a defective primer or crush it just right in the press to detonate it. I'm not denying that it has happened, but I don't think it's as common as people make it out. Please chime in if you have observed this in person, not a story and not a video.
Old October 7, 2013, 07:36 AM   #12
dahermit

Just a historical note for those of you still in diapers or newly emerged. when I first started hand loading, the faces of pistol primers were radiused and only rifle primers were flat. I seem to remember the flat-faces of Lee (one-at-a-time), primer punches flattening them out. And I seem to remember some primer punches that were radiused to accommodate the radiused primers...but not sure now. Just a little history, like having to mess with two different size shotgun primers, paper hulls and fiber wads.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old October 7, 2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Nick_C_S

Quote:
SauerGrapes: "I'm just happy I can find primers again.
Boy, you got that right!

I have always used CCI primers exclusively. But during the peak of the craziness, and "grab whatever you can get" was in full swing, I managed to get my hands on two "shoeboxes" of Federal 150 (large) primers.

I use them for 45ACP and 10mm rounds. To me, they're "seamless" and completely interchangeable with CCI 300's. But then, my guns all have stock firing pin systems. So if they're "softer," I'd never know the difference.

I also got Winchester small primers (WSP) during the dark days. Although I was completely satisfied with both, I'm back to buying CCI's, now that availability is returning.
Old October 7, 2013, 03:44 PM   #14
AllenJ

Quote:
Just a historical note for those of you still in diapers or newly emerged. when I first started hand loading, the faces of pistol primers were radiused and only rifle primers were flat.
Wow, you're going way back. How old are you anyway
Old October 7, 2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Just a historical note for those of you still in diapers or newly emerged. when I first started hand loading, the faces of pistol primers were radiused and only rifle primers were flat.
"Radiused?" As in "convex?"

Yeah, I don't even go back that far lol. For once, I feel young
Old October 7, 2013, 05:20 PM   #16
dahermit

Quote:
"Radiused?" As in "convex?"

Yeah, I don't even go back that far lol. For once, I feel young
Yup, they were.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old October 7, 2013, 10:03 PM   #17
Nick_C_S

Well, at least you didn't say that you remember when a "primer" was a flint striking into a pan
Old October 10, 2013, 11:57 PM   #18
bt380

You're not truly old until you are back in diapers!
Old October 11, 2013, 12:15 AM   #19
BuckRub

When you put them on a primer tray just shake and usually they'll flip real easy. Yea , I love federal more than others but they are sideways. Still just dump and shake.
Old October 11, 2013, 12:21 AM   #20
BuckRub

Another here who buys federal because a shoot a Glock with ultra light springs. Federal always work and Winchester but I don't like cci because alot won't fire. I use cci for my other guns but always use federal if I can.
Old October 11, 2013, 03:14 AM   #21
Shootest

Quote:
You're not truly old until you are back in diapers!
The first sign of old age is when you need to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon.
The second sign of old age is when you need to check with your children to see if it is OK with them.

Seriously, Federal primers are more sensitive weather it is because of thinner cups or more sensitive compound or both makes little difference.
Old October 11, 2013, 02:50 PM   #22
GJSchulze

Quote:
Seriously, Federal primers are more sensitive weather it is because of thinner cups or more sensitive compound or both makes little difference
Feds are softer. I can seat them easier in S&B brass than I can with any other type. CCI, I have heard, is harder.

What's better, before the Great Shortage, Federal SPP were a few dollars cheaper than Win or CCI. Nice.