The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2013, 02:56 PM   #1
603Country

RCBS - Wow, the legend is true

Geez, I have an RCBS Posi-prime Hand Priming Tool that I must have bought back in the early 1980's. I paid $12.95 plus tax. Today it broke. I called RCBS and told them that I FINALLY had something from RCBS that broke, and told them I was honestly embarrassed to ask about a warranty. I had certainly gotten my $12.95 out of it in 30 odd years. They had one (just one) of those old priming tools back in the warehouse and they are sending it to me. Amazing. Truly amazing.
Old October 7, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
schmellba99

RCBS is good people. Between them, Hornady, Dillon and even Lee - the rest of the world could learn a thing or two about customer service.
Old October 7, 2013, 03:34 PM   #3
AllenJ

They have went above and beyond the three times I've dealt with them in 30 plus years. It is a big reason why when I'm buying something new for reloading they are the first brand I look at.
Old October 7, 2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Crashbox

A major +1 to this- I cannot say enough good about their customer service.
Old October 7, 2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Vance

I only ever broke a decapping pin in my sizing/decapping die. I could not find the decapping pins in stock anywhere online or local. Called them to see if they had any. They did and they would not let me pay for them. They sent me a package of 5 pins.
Old October 7, 2013, 08:09 PM   #6
mxsailor803

Has anybody else noticed that in the firearm industry, most of the companies have very good customer service.
Old October 8, 2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Crashbox

Quote:
Has anybody else noticed that in the firearm industry, most of the companies have very good customer service.
Definitely. There are exceptions, of course, but by and large the companies are pretty skookum IMO.
Old October 9, 2013, 01:42 PM   #8
CarJunkieLS1

My experience with RCBS has been just like the OP's. Here is my experience.
I bent my depriming rod on my .223 die last nite with an off center flash hole. Called RCBS not 10min ago and I'm getting 2 replacements sent to me at no charge. I'm an RCBS customer for life don't get better service than that. The 70yr old man I talked to was very nice and I told him that I own RCBS everything for reloading (which is true) and I told him after this experience I'll ALWAYS buy RCBS.
Old October 9, 2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I own RCBS everything for reloading
My reloading bench is filled with all sorts of "green" stuff too
Old October 9, 2013, 05:46 PM   #10
armoredman

Because of the great service RCBS has given me, my next press will also be green.
Old October 9, 2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Because of the great service RCBS has given me, my next press will also be green.
My press is green. Purchased in 1984 and after countless press cycles (HAS to be well in the 100,000's) is in perfect working order.

Many years ago, I used the press/ram to apply pressure to something - I can't remember what it was now - in the process, I bent one of the "forks" rendering it impossible to insert shell holders.

I wrote them a letter (long before the days of e-mail) requesting the price of a new ram because I "had used it in a manner in which it was not designed and damaged it." Expecting to get a letter back with the price of the new ram and ordering instructions; instead, I received a new ram - no charge. EVEN after openly admitting I had abused it.

So that's my RCBS story.
Old October 9, 2013, 07:53 PM   #12
histed

Customer service is the main reason most of the stuff on my bench is green - including the bullets! RCBS always goes above and beyond. While back I posted about a stuck case. Short version, till I got it out I had bent the capper rod, broken the capping pin and I knew it wasn't the equipment's fault. Explained this, but still replaced everything for free. Same comments go for Sierra. Fantastic people with answers to any reloading dilemma, even if you're loading someone else's bullet. Would life be wonderful if every business treated people like the reloading industry does? But then, real gun people are usually helpful and polite
Old October 9, 2013, 09:00 PM   #13
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Same comments go for Sierra.
Yes, I have lots of green boxes of bullets too.
Old October 9, 2013, 10:08 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

RCBS - Wow, the legend is true

I got a set of RCBS dies from my uncle, I'm guessing 70s vintage. The decapping rod was bent. I inquired with them about a replacement, told them the dies were old, not originally mine and of unknown abuse. They asked for an address and sent me TWO new rods, no cost.

To be fair, I also got a Redding set and they did the same thing.
Old October 10, 2013, 12:15 AM   #15
sunflake

I had sent them a email and then called as well the next day. I had read about the great service. My father in law gave me a jr3 press and the handle is bent just above the threads. Explained it to the lady on the phone and was told that since I was not the original owner that there was no warranty on the press. I guess it really depends who you get and how much info you give. I didn't think it would be a problem telling them. I read about a guy that found his press in a scrap yard told them that, and no questions asked sent him the parts it was missing. Oh well.
Old October 11, 2013, 12:55 PM   #16
armoredman

Try again, sunflake.
Old October 11, 2013, 02:13 PM   #17
tangolima

I realize I'm the minority here, but I did have a not-so-pleasant encounter with RCBS.

I have a few pieces of RCBS equipment. They have been working well for many years, so no need to contact their customer service. A few months ago I purchased their hand neck turner. The unit came with the turner body not machined. I called Monday morning, and the man on the phone was very helpful. He told me a new turner body would be shipped out on that day at no cost to me. Waited the whole week, no part in the mail. Called then again the following Monday morning. Gentleman apologized and told me it would be shipped out the same day (that meant they didn't ship it the Monday before). Waited another week, still no part. The same thing happened for another 3 weeks. Called, apologized, promised, no part, called again. I grew pretty angry as I had passed the return period and was quite stuck. Finally the replacement came at the end of the 5th week.

I don't know why happened. It was pretty screwed for a company that has enjoyed such good reputation. I still like their products, but I would hesitate when I need buy another one.

-TL
Old October 12, 2013, 05:01 AM   #18
was123

I've had the same experience as most. Have a hand priming tool, wouldn't seat primers below flush or even flush for that matter. Called em, was asked a couple questions, had a new body for it within a few days. Good folks to deal with.