The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 30, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1
fc286

BAR 7 Mag

Need a little help. Was siting this puppy in and wasnt hitting anything. Took it home and put bore siter on it. Realligned zero and went bak to range. Still cant hit paper, seems to be throwing 175 pills everywhere. any suggestions, will be most appreciated. Thanks
Old September 30, 2013, 09:44 PM   #2
semi_problomatic

Well....did you check your scope? Is the scope mounted right? Aligned? Broken? Tightened down correctly? Not torqued, twisted, or some how out of spec? what kind of scope is it?

What kind of rest were you using? Table?

Really could use more info. What was the distance, group size, were you cold bore shooting or dropping 3 quickly? What kind of pattern did it make? How were you trying to zero? Did you do 3 grouping shots and adjust? Have you tried any other kinds of ammo?

Using the information you've given I'd say swamp gas from uranus was reflecting off the scope glass and heating the air infront of your barrel causing the bullets to destabalize and tumble as they came out of the rifle. I'd suggest retuning the harmonics of your barrel with a credit card while blowing out really hard right before you shoot to remove the pocket of hot air.
Old September 30, 2013, 11:45 PM   #3
skizzums

bore sighters can really suck. take it to a range that has the nice sighting tool, they'll usually do it for 5 bucks and get you on the paper. ive bought some very poorly aligned sighters that wouldnt get me close. better to just start really close to the target and work your way out.
Old October 3, 2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Boomer58cal

Get closer?

Boomer
Old October 3, 2013, 05:52 PM   #5
jmr40

Throw the bore sight tool in the trash, get closer or use a bigger target. Poster board at Walmart is $.28 and is big enough that it is impossible to miss at 50 yards.