The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 19, 2013, 03:55 PM   #51
csmsss

Quote:
It seems to me the Glock shooters like their favorite "as is",
I think you might be surprised. The aftermarket demand for and supply of "upgraded" Glock parts is probably just as active as that of 1911's.
Old September 20, 2013, 01:46 PM   #52
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

YMMV but the more I see folks play with Glocks (except for sights), the more they become like 1911s. They jam - .

I've just changed sights on my Glocks. I shoot my 1911 as is (and it did have to go to the shop twice to be fixed).

I reach for the Glock for HD.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old September 20, 2013, 11:15 PM   #53
Theohazard

I agree 100%; except for new sights (and maybe a trigger job), aftermarket Glock "upgrades" tend to actually be downgrades.
Old September 20, 2013, 11:26 PM   #54
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard
...except for new sights (and maybe a trigger job), aftermarket Glock "upgrades" tend to actually be downgrades.
I have to admit I just bought my first (in many years) Glock -- a Glock 19. I immediately put some 10-8 Performance sights on it. But I actually think the stock trigger is quite good.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 22, 2013, 10:20 AM   #55
johnelmore

When customizing your pistol think first about what you actually want to use it for. Is it going to be a self defensive pistol for the night stand? Will it be used for competition? Maybe its one of those toys intended for range use with friends and a method of socialization...

A self defensive pistol should not need any additional customization out of the box...that said I know you guys are still going to try...
Old September 22, 2013, 10:41 AM   #56
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelmore
...A self defensive pistol should not need any additional customization out of the box...
Maybe and maybe not. The one thing I do to all my 1911s is install a short trigger because I have short fingers and need a short trigger reach. On several, I've also changed the sights.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 22, 2013, 11:55 AM   #57
Constantine

Agreed. I do not modify the internals of my Glocks. If I do, it's either a range gun only or on it's way to be a competition gun. So HD and SD outside the home, it's a factory Glock 19 with Trijicon HD's loaded with 124gr speer gold dot +p's.

I second the fact that modifying a 1911 or Glock's internals makes them less reliable where it wouldn't matter out on the range.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old September 22, 2013, 03:12 PM   #58
Dragline45

Quote:
A self defensive pistol should not need any additional customization out of the box
As long as you function test the gun after mod's it shouldn't be a problem. Every J frame I have had has gotten new rebound springs, my Beretta has a lighter mainspring.
Old September 25, 2013, 03:13 PM   #59
SFsc616171

re: 1911 for home defense

"Lets say I wanted to use the 1911 for home defense. The Gunners Mates always said that keeping rounds in the clip weakens the spring.

Do I buy two additional clips and rotate the rounds every week? Just wondering. "

The Great God John Moses Browning did NOT design such a frail thing, to have your 1911 magazines failing!

Mr. Browning designed the Browning Hi Power (GP35), and the 1911, with the magazines to withstand, since they were meant to be up to MIL-SPEC, were they not?

Therefore, I can point you towards the late Mr. Camp's Hi Power website "hipowerandhandguns", because he left 2 magazines, both 13 rounders, at full capacity, sitting for 2 years, then took them out to the range. No malfunctions!

I also have this thread from a 1911 forum.

http://forum.m1911.org/archive/index.php/t-22420.html